Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glass

Just saw this and not sure what to make of it on whole just yet. I feel like it lacked the depth of split/unbreakble but maybe it was more subtle and such things will be clearer on rewatch. There were things I loved and things I hated. Other times it was boring but others I was fully immersed. The only thing im sure of is that is going to polarise opinions but I will need to see again because there is a bit to process by the end of the film.

Mary, Queen of Scots - Saoirse Ronan is terrific in the lead role and gets fantastic support from Margot Robbie as Queen Elizabeth I, but the political intrigue is completely lost as first time film director Josie O'Rourke tries to blend history with entertainment. The score is also great but the drawcard here is absolutely seeing two young actresses hitting the peak of their powers.

The Greatest Showman - I'm not going to deny I found most of it entertaining- after the same song was sung by half a dozen characters throughout the first 15 minutes- but it is a long way from being a good film. Performances are pieced together into a paper-thin plot where things seem to happen for no apparent reason or motive and every scene seems to end with a feel good message. I get the appeal but not for me.

TFA and TLF still made metric shitloads of money. Disney doesn't need to pay any critic off - it's f***ing Star Wars.

The opinions of a few hardcore fans here matter little - especially when they still pay good money on opening night anyway no matter what.

Critics would race to be the first to get a review out and get the most publicity, you don't think early screenings would come with some strict guidelines?

I'm still 100% certain that the Red Letter Media team received some sort of whisper in the ear regarding their eventual Plinkett review.

The problem is that in that they liked the movie - it is that out of a 90 minute video, only about 20 minutes were spent on the actual film, the rest on other stuff. The fact it was barely talked about it at all is very strange to me.

Critics would race to be the first to get a review out and get the most publicity, you don't think early screenings would come with some strict guidelines?

If that's the case, then wouldn't a harsh negative review attract more publicity for the critic? Disney has nothing to gain from paying off critics.

The conspiracy theories never add up.

If that's the case, then wouldn't a harsh negative review attract more publicity for the critic? Disney has nothing to gain from paying off critics.

The conspiracy theories never add up.

It's not a paying off. It's an NDA to attend early screenings. Why would they need an NDA if they didn't have to worry about bad reviews?

There was that guy who gave a positive but vague review of TLJ early then a few days after release he went to town on it.

Explain that one.

Sent from mTalk

It's not a paying off. It's an NDA to attend early screenings. Why would they need an NDA if they didn't have to worry about bad reviews?

There was that guy who gave a positive but vague review of TLJ early then a few days after release he went to town on it.

Explain that one.

Sent from mTalk

The great thing with conspiracy theories is you can always deny any plausible explanation and see sinister motives in anything.

Not bothering with this one, mate.

Was on a few flights with limited choices.

BlacKkKlansman. Fantastic telling of a ridiculous, but true story. Spike Lee at his best is very good and this is just that. Terrific performances from a stellar cast. My film of the year.
9/10

Venom. All a bit silly. Tom Hardy got to show off some decent comedy timing and I actually understood what he said which makes a change.
Action scenes were well done. A bit of fun, but nothing more.
6/10

Three Identical Strangers. A documentary about 3 identical triplets who had been separated at birth and discover each other at 19 years of age.
The nature versus nurture theory is put to the test in a sad manner. Don't want to give too much away, but an incredible story well told.
7.5/10

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Not sure why it took me so long to watch this one. Fantastic thriller. Well written and terrific performance from Rooney Mara.
8.5/10

Wonder. Beautiful movie about a boy with facial deformities and the affect that it has on him and the rest of his family. It's a feelgood movie that could have been too sickly, but really well made.
8/10

Peppermint. Below average revenge movie starring Jennifer Garner. Pretty good action scenes, but a ridiculous premise and dreadful dialogue.
5/10

Death Wish. Bruce Willis in the Charles Bronson role as the father/husband avenging violence against his family. My memory of the original is that it was ok. This version was garbage. A complete waste of time.
4/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IO (the new thing on Netflix) - 1/10
Trust me when I say, it is truly awful. Clearly a low low budget, they basically use 2 sets in the whole movie with something like 4 actors in total (all but 2 in very minor roles). Its biggest problem is that it is a slow burn with uninteresting sporadic reveals and an underwhelming ending is the poop flavoured cherry on a cake found at the Tip.
It could have been kind of interesting if we knew more about what was happening on Jupiter's moon and the fate of those people instead of 2 boring people still on Earth whom I never connected with or even the other people still on Earth and their living conditions. Very little information about the more interesting things happening or that happened was provided and it left me considering what is the point of this steaming pile of s**t.

IO (the new thing on Netflix) - 1/10
Trust me when I say, it is truly awful. Clearly a low low budget, they basically use 2 sets in the whole movie with something like 4 actors in total (all but 2 in very minor roles). Its biggest problem is that it is a slow burn with uninteresting sporadic reveals and an underwhelming ending is the poop flavoured cherry on a cake found at the Tip.
It could have been kind of interesting if we knew more about what was happening on Jupiter's moon and the fate of those people instead of 2 boring people still on Earth whom I never connected with or even the other people still on Earth and their living conditions. Very little information about the more interesting things happening or that happened was provided and it left me considering what is the point of this steaming pile of s**t.
Cheers, saved me the time as we were thinking about it.

Bohemian Rhapsody
Another victory of style over substance; the soon-to-be-typecast Remi Malek's performance and the faithful recreation of Queen's (over-rated) Live Aid performance are ultimately pointless in this painful whitewash of one of the world's most flamboyant homosexuals. Where was the post-diagnosis Mercury having rampant unprotected sex with teenage boys, or the three day cocaine benders with Elton John? May, Deacon and Taylor deliver another nail in the Queen coffin with this fictitious crap: I can't wait to see which reality-show failure joins them for their next tour. * you Queen. 0 /10

Bird
Further proof the Golden Globes is cinema's own Montgomery Burns Outstanding Award in the Field of Excellence with Clint Eastwood's award winning (best director) boipic on jazz legend Charlie Parker. I actually thought this was a telemovie but even (a pre-bung eye) Forrest Whitiker managed to cop a Golden Globe nom for this one... no idea how. I don't think Eastwood & Whitaker quite managed to capture the drug & alcohol fuelled madness that Parker was (the 34 year old was famously assumed to be in his 60's by the Coroner who conducted the autopsy), but at least it wasn't fiction like that Bohemian Crapsody s**t. From what I understand it seems like a faithful telling of the Bird's difficult (and very interesting) life. 6/ 10

National Lampoon's Animal House
Now THIS is a *in' movie. One of the greatest ensemble casts ever assembled led by the wondrous John Belushi (in the iconic role of Blurt). Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis, what more do you need to know? Only gripe for me was there wasn't enough girls losing their tops (Porkys gets the nod there), but otherwise this is one of the finest comedies in cinematic history. Toga/ 10

Also: LOL as if Disney is going to pay off a film critic, half of Star Wars ticket sales are repeat viewers who would go back even if the film was s**t (and frankly, there's a bunch of them that were).

Do people even read cinema reviews anymore?

(Also I loved the bit where Luke milked that alien's breast and looked at the camera with milk all over his face, what a classic stitch up)

The Visit 2/10

Clumsily made handycam Horrorr/melodrama movie. Overacted by the obnoxious kids, due in part to their pretentious dialogue. No depth in the characters and I was actually hoping they'd die in the end because they were annoying. Jump scares were predictable. Not scary at all, but the final twist was decent.

Was on a few flights with limited choices.

BlacKkKlansman. Fantastic telling of a ridiculous, but true story. Spike Lee at his best is very good and this is just that. Terrific performances from a stellar cast. My film of the year.
9/10

Three Identical Strangers. A documentary about 3 identical triplets who had been separated at birth and discover each other at 19 years of age.
The nature versus nurture theory is put to the test in a sad manner. Don't want to give too much away, but an incredible story well told.
7.5/10
Was also flying last week and caught those 2 as well. Agree with your assessments, although I wouldn't rate KKK as high as 9. Maybe an 8 at best.

I also saw Searching with John Cho. In other movies I've found him fairly meh, but he was pretty good in this. My only real gripe was
the unrealistically short amount of time between when he was home and realised the investigator was behind it all and she was at his daughters wake, and the time it took Cho to confront her at the wake, with the police in tow, after he would have had to explain to them why she was guilty. Plus, the dramatic effect of the police allowing Cho to enter the church and confront her first, and then the police appearing slowly after him, was nonsense. The cops would have stormed the church and been all over her in quick time.

I'll do up something a little longer later, but I watched A Star Is Born last night and it's no wonder there's quite a few writers and composers for the music, there's a variety of genres covered in it that all but the most talented songwriter would struggle to compose solely.

Even movies like Rockstar that have all the same style music use a lot of different writers. These people are film makers, not musicians. They need to outsource sometimes.

Just watched 2017's "Mother!"

Worst film I've ever seen. Has some big stars in it. I get it, but it was a stupid ******* movie nonetheless, and extremely long.

Wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Avoid like the plague.

GG's Rating: 0.0 / 10

I love you GG but GGeez you have s**t taste in movies.

I'll do up something a little longer later, but I watched A Star Is Born last night and it's no wonder there's quite a few writers and composers for the music, there's a variety of genres covered in it that all but the most talented songwriter would struggle to compose solely.

Even movies like Rockstar that have all the same style music use a lot of different writers. These people are film makers, not musicians. They need to outsource sometimes.
Yeah, that bloke's previous criticsm was way over the top and just as a result of pre-conceived biases.

I love you GG but GGeez you have s**t taste in movies.
Isn't Mother considered pretty terrible though? 69% critic favour and 50% audience favour on rotten tomatotes. There have also been some serious criticsms of the film in critique circles and elsewhere as pretentious crap. I haven't seen it but giving it a 0 is not uncommon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back