Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seen it twice. Thought it was great.
Fair enough. I thought it was unoriginal. And while I'm willing to overlook plot holes for the sake of enjoying a movie, I can't get past the "allow the protagonist to escape" scenes at the end of this one.
I did appreciate some if the subtle reveals throughout and the comic relief from the TSA dude.

Did what better? Is it a thriller with rich racial subtext and regular comedic reprieve as well?
Creating tension via an original thriller.

Unfortunately, other than the police scene, the racial subtext was spurious at best. Chris had no need to be at that party as it was set up for the art dealer to win the auction. None of the other qualities that the guests wanted of a black man were present in Chris. He could have been a clever white photographer for all intents and purposes.

the ROTK battles get lost a bit in all the CGI. Whereas Helm's deep feels more real and higher stakes because of the build up through the movie.

To be fair to it, most of ROKT is a battle. It goes on for like, an hour of the movie. Even when attention isn't going to it directly you still see it in the backgrounds.

The charge of the Rohirim is awesome.

The final battle at the black gate was a bit of a let down, and Aragorn changes his accent for no reason.

Sent from mTalk

To be fair to it, most of ROKT is a battle. It goes on for like, an hour of the movie. Even when attention isn't going to it directly you still see it in the backgrounds.

The charge of the Rohirim is awesome.

The final battle at the black gate was a bit of a let down, and Aragorn changes his accent for no reason.

Sent from mTalk
I did love “ for Frodo “ then he charges and the 2 hobbits are the first to follow.

Unfortunately, other than the police scene, the racial subtext was spurious at best. Chris had no need to be at that party as it was set up for the art dealer to win the auction. None of the other qualities that the guests wanted of a black man were present in Chris. He could have been a clever white photographer for all intents and purposes.
Fair enough. I thought it was pretty prevalent, at least subtly, the whole way through. Picked up on more the 2nd time too. Those themes were definitely on the filmmakers mind, whether or not it was successful for everyone.

Fair enough. I thought it was pretty prevalent, at least subtly, the whole way through. Picked up on more the 2nd time too. Those themes were definitely on the filmmakers mind, whether or not it was successful for everyone.
Yeah deliverance is just being contrarian there... the film is clearly about a white cult living our their fantasies by hypnotically lobotomising and transposing their mind into the bodies of African Americans.

As you can see whn he goes through the photographs of 15+ black men who have undergone the same sequence, it is painfully obvious what the reasoning behind the cult is.

Deliverance's position that it "could have been a white photographer" is completely wrong and he is either intentionally trying to make the movie something it is not or he has the thematic IQ of a guide dog in training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it was "set up" that way why did the art dealer have to bid for such a large amount (which we know from the shocked looks from the crowds) it is evident that the entire party was used as a try before you buy moment for the auction with other members of the cult thinking about bidding for Chris for his inherent coolness as an African American, his package, his athletic ability etc.

I guess part the beauty of art is in its interpretation.
If it was "set up" that way why did the art dealer have to bid for such a large amount (which we know from the shocked looks from the crowds) it is evident that the entire party was used as a try before you buy moment for the auction with other members of the cult thinking about bidding for Chris for his inherent coolness as an African American, his package, his athletic ability etc.
Good question, because other than the fact he was black, he wasn't shown to have any of the qualities the other bidders were looking for.

That's the point mate.. the point is they were making racist asaumptions

But the actual qualities the bidders wanted weren't present except for his "eye". Therefore the only one who was ever going to win the auction was the art dealer. And for all intents and purposes he could have been white.
So, yes, while previous auctions were set up for the racial "benefits", the one the movie revolved around had nothing to do with race.

But the actual qualities the bidders wanted weren't present except for his "eye". Therefore the only one who was ever going to win the auction was the art dealer. And for all intents and purposes he could have been white.
So, yes, while previous auctions were set up for the racial "benefits", the one the movie revolved around had nothing to do with race.
Except they completely fetishised black people. I didn't realise this was debatable?

The Merger

Aussie comedy/drama about a footy club in Wagga Wagga. Not as funny as The Castle but along those lines.

Two of the best Aussie comedians, Aaron Gocs and Nick Cody are in it. Despite not many lines I can't help but love Gocssys Cameo.

7/10

The Lord of the Rings trilogy has been on telly lately, I'll give a quick one.

Fellowship: 9.5/10
Two Towers: 9.5/10
Return of the King: 10/10

Reason for those scores is I think the first two are improved by the extended editions, but RotK isn't... or the extended edition isn't as good on a movie that's already three and a half hours, so you'd flip my scores for them.
I watched the first two about 6 months ago because I wanted to compare Helms Deep with some of the incredible GOT battle scenes and I realised I couldn't just watch the Helms Deep scene, but needed the full context. I haven't had a spare 4 hours to watch ROTK. That is, until tonight! My wife left on a business trip overseas and took my 9mo daughter with her so I'm home alone all week. ROTK will be the perfect distraction!
Haven't seen GOT, but I think Helm's Deep has a better build up and more payoff than the battles from ROTK.
Yeah, I remember that from first watching the series back when it came out in the cinema. Will report back after watching again tonight though!

There are a number of GOT episodes that are focused on massive set-piece battles and they are absolutely phenomenal. I actually think a couple of them pip Helms Deep, not just for the sheer spectacle, but also for the emotional build-up and payoff that they provide. Granted, with a TV series with many more hours to build that up it might not be a fair comparison, but that's just how I felt about them.

Game of Thrones is better than The Lord of the Rings. Short answer why is it was made for adults.

The battles and fights in Game of Thrones are generally two people or two groups of people you like. They're complex. Who wins and loses matters.

The Lord of the Rings, all the humans are good (or close enough) and the enemy is goblin apes with face paint nobody cares about led by an evil eye in the distance who is just evil for the sake of being evil. You know right from the start who's going to win whenever it matters.

The Lord of the Rings was made with kids in mind. Game of Thrones shouldn't be watched by children at all. Ironically, the child characters in Game of Thrones are more interesting and fun than Frodo and his fellow child surrogate pals ever were.

"But The Lord of The Rings is a classic work of literature blah blah blah my childhood"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back