Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Predictable post from someone who thinks they’re smarter than everyone.

LoTR movies are perfect.
Lotr is one of the most boring predictable childish movie series ive ever forced myself to watch. All of the characters are cliches, the movie dialogue is simply boring, the plot is terribly simplistic, the villians are just evil for the sake of being evil and there are no twists. It gets 2/10 from me and the 2 is for the scenary and scale of the siege in the last movie.

Vice

I liked this a lot more than I was expecting to. Christian Bale was predictably great, but the humour worked for me, much better than Adam McKay did with The Big Short. The mid film credits , and the Shakespearean scene both made me laugh out loud. If you accept the film for what it is, and not take it literally, I think it's quite good.

I saw another film recently (that I won't name to avoid spoiling it), that killed off its main/advertised actor about 40% of the way in.

It's been a while since I've been surprised by that scenario in a film. Maybe not since Animal Kingdom nearly 10 years ago.

It's a brave move and definitely caught my attention.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Prospect

Low budget sci-fi that's not really a sci-fi as much as a western.
I did like the look of the movie though and it's well worth the watch. 6/10

I enjoyed it also. I liked that they didn't explain too much. Just got on with the story in this strange future world.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Shoplifters -

I feel inclined to not give a rating for this movie, but didn’t particularly enjoy it as I was expecting to. Wasn’t a bad movie at all but didn’t quite resonate with me for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
GOT wouldn't be half as popular without skin.

It's made for teens and young males.

Sent from mTalk

You cant say that but then rate lord of the rings as a great mature movie series. The LOTR movies has a maturity aimed at primary school level. As an adult its so dull and childish that ive never been able to sit through a movie in one sitting. Im sure the books have some intelligent dialogue but the movies do not. GOT is absolute light years ahead of it in terms of maturity. It has adult dialogue and well developed characters, it has genuine plot twists, it has adult philosophy. The sex and blood is there to bring in immature audience who would otherwise be watching reality tv and because it reflects reality. But its not why the actual fans like the show. Its the great characters. Not one character in LOTRS is interesting.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
LOTR may be those things, but it is such a well made trilogy it doesn't matter. It's engaging and moving and doesn't rely on hooking immature people in with nudity and language.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
A saw another film recently (that I won't name to avoid spoiling it), that killed off its main/advertised actor about 40% of the way in.

It's been a while since I've been surprised by that scenario in a film. Maybe not since Animal Kingdom nearly 10 years ago.

It's a brave move and definitely caught my attention.

Animal Kingdom floored me with that.

There was an action flick in the 90s that did a similar thing I won't mention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Do the people that not like LOTR like fantasy in general?
For me, it's a dislike of fantasy in general. Sure fire way to put me off is to introduce a dragon. Game of Thrones at least distracts me with **** (and I'm still not that big a fan, wouldn't watch it if the wife didn't). That said, Lord of the Rings is pretty unsophisticated and dull. It's famously described as nine hours of walking, with events just popping up along the way. The villains are so villainy for no good reason, the heroes hero-y. The couldn't drag me back in to see the Hobbit.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
LOTR may be those things, but it is such a well made trilogy it doesn't matter. It's engaging and moving and doesn't rely on hooking immature people in with nudity and language.
It instead hooks immature people with simple characters, big special effects and a comfortable unthinking story of good vs evil. 10 year olds love LOTR. Sh** i know a 5 year who was obsessed with it. There is nothing in it for a person who has brains. GOT isnt the most intelligent thing on tv but its leaps and bounds ahead of LOTR. It includes adventure and fantasy but doesnt bore you as it has great characters and plot twists and even some good dialogue from time to time. And 1 minute of sex/violent scenes each episode does not detract from the other 50-59 minutes of an episode. Its ridiculous to claim it would.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
It instead hooks immature people with simple characters, big special effects and a comfortable unthinking story of good vs evil. 10 year olds love LOTR. Sh** i know a 5 year who was obsessed with it. There is nothing in it for a person who has brains. GOT isnt the most intelligent thing on tv but its leaps and bounds ahead of LOTR. It includes adventure and fantasy but doesnt bore you as it has great characters and plot twists and even some good dialogue from time to time. And 1 minute of sex/violent scenes each episode does not detract from the other 50-59 minutes of an episode. Its ridiculous to claim it would.

59 minutes of people talking for one minute action?

Lord of the Rings is just boring walking though?

Sent from mTalk

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Roma. I honestly found it hard to watch for the entire length. Cinematography and the sound were great. No doubting that in my opinion. But the story bored me by the end. I don't really understand all the love for it. Felt like I was watching a mundane look at someone's boring life.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Sorry for starting this fight by watching the Return Of The King last weekend! For what it's worth, here are my thoughts:

On Return Of The King
It's long. Even longer than I remembered when I last saw it in the cinema, but that's most likely because it WAS longer as Stan streams the extended editions. There was some great moments (e.g. seeing the beacons being lit across the mountains rekindled the sense of joy that reverberated around the cinema at that scene) and the overall hero journey of Aragorn was satisfying to see come to completion. It kinda felt like the forces of Mordor should definitely have beaten the forces at Minas Tirith, but I guess it had to happen that way. The most frustrating part was how drawn-out the last 40 minutes were - there was at least 4 different "endings" before the film actually finished. Still, I enjoyed it, but probably not as much as the other two (The Two Towers is the best of the trilogy). i gave it 7 out of 10.

On LOTR vs GOT in general
Despite it being either denigrated by critics or lovingly mocked by fans as just being "**** and dragons", it's obviously so much more than that. It's definitely aimed at a much older audience and as such doesn't suffer from some of the dumbed-down comedy of the LOTR movies. It's a much more nuanced look at the battle of good vs evil (or more good vs not as good or evil vs not quite as evil!) which not only means each character's motives are a lot harder to pin down, but each scene has many more layers that you need to be mindful of. Plus there are just some much better interactions between characters.

For some reason, GOT transcends fantasy to bring in other fans. My wife is a key example of this. She hated anything to do with LOTR or fantasy in general. It took us a couple of years to even try GOT but after the first episode she was completely hooked. I mean, after the first scene really. It was the first time in a LOOOOOOOONG time that she put her phone down while watching a show and was totally engrossed.

On LOTR vs GOT battle scenes
Again, GOT wins out in this as well. There is much more at stake as there is genuinely no guarantee of any particular characters surviving or not. The overwhelming tension of each set piece also overcomes the LOTR battles because there often is no release - the LOTR cuts out to other things happening and/or to weird comedic interplay between characters (most notably Gimli and Legolas) that just cheapens the experience a little bit. Helm's Deep is no doubt a fantastic scene and the most engaging battle of the LOTR series, but there are a number of episodes of GOT that trump it in my opinion. With potentially more to come in this final season. Bring. It On!

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Lotr is one of the most boring predictable childish movie series ive ever forced myself to watch. All of the characters are cliches, the movie dialogue is simply boring, the plot is terribly simplistic, the villians are just evil for the sake of being evil and there are no twists. It gets 2/10 from me and the 2 is for the scenary and scale of the siege in the last movie.

Almost like the creator of it had lived some type of war scenario where evil people without much nuance threatened the fate of the free world. How unrealistic.

Oct 23, 2010
Down by the River
AFL Club
Collingwood
As someone who has seen every episode of GoT and every LoTR/Hobbit movie due to overly enthusi(sp)astic friends and housemates, I can comfortably say both series are equally s**t and I could happily live the remainder of my life without seeing either ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back