Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who has seen every episode of GoT and every LoTR/Hobbit movie due to overly enthusi(sp)astic friends and housemates, I can comfortably say both series are equally s**t and I could happily live the remainder of my life without seeing either ever again.
Why would you watch every episode if you didnt like it? Theres been like over 50 episodes. Your friends have you whipped.

Roma. I honestly found it hard to watch for the entire length. Cinematography and the sound were great. No doubting that in my opinion. But the story bored me by the end. I don't really understand all the love for it. Felt like I was watching a mundane look at someone's boring life.
I felt very similarly.

Speed

Watched it in full for the first time in quite a while (might have glanced at part of it when it was on tv ages ago - otherwise hadn't seen it in full for years!). It's an enjoyable movie and one I should watch more often (used to be one I'd watch yearly after all). Has a few good action sequences with some random one liners thrown in. I'm surprised they didn't attempt to turn it into a proper franchise (well a Keanu-led franchise - Speed 2 doesn't count!!), granted it probably would have been a little too much like Die Hard - stretching the believeability that the same thing could happen to the same guy multiple times.

I've since started watching Falling Down - another classic, but might stop it soon to goto bed.

Speed

Watched it in full for the first time in quite a while (might have glanced at part of it when it was on tv ages ago - otherwise hadn't seen it in full for years!). It's an enjoyable movie and one I should watch more often (used to be one I'd watch yearly after all). Has a few good action sequences with some random one liners thrown in. I'm surprised they didn't attempt to turn it into a proper franchise (well a Keanu-led franchise - Speed 2 doesn't count!!), granted it probably would have been a little too much like Die Hard - stretching the believeability that the same thing could happen to the same guy multiple times.

I've since started watching Falling Down - another classic, but might stop it soon to goto bed.
Watched it on the plane to Melbourne a few weeks ago. Good film. Can see why its loved.

I saw another film recently (that I won't name to avoid spoiling it), that killed off its main/advertised actor about 40% of the way in.

It's been a while since I've been surprised by that scenario in a film. Maybe not since Animal Kingdom nearly 10 years ago.

It's a brave move and definitely caught my attention.
Animal Kingdom floored me with that.

There was an action flick in the 90s that did a similar thing I won't mention.
Plz PM me the film names. Am intrigued.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched The Last Jedi again. Found a lot of my complaints just washed away this time. See it as maybe the best looking film ever produced for over $200m too.

On The Basis of Sex

Saw this on Tuesday and while I enjoyed the movie I don't think it went deep enough into the awesomeness of Ruth Bader Ginsberg. I got my women's lib rah rah kicks, but it ended too abruptly for me. 6.75/10.

If Beale Street Could Talk

Barry Jenkins' follow up to Moonlight, this is based on a novel set in 1970s New York. It's about a young couple that find out they're expecting a child right as one of them is framed and sent to prison.

As you'd expect, the themes of racism and oppression are strong. The love story comes across as pretty authentic, and while it seemed slightly too acted at times, there were some pretty powerful scenes.

Worth watching if you're looking for a solid, mid-range drama. 5/10

Gridiron Gang

Rewatched this tonight. Always been a favourite. Storyline is brilliant and the Rock leads the way like he always does with every role he receives. 9/10

Creed 2 (2018)

Although this film was definitely using the formula of Rocky III, I thought the movie overall was very good. The relationship between Creed and Rocky was a real highlight. Everyone chose their family in the end and it was all's well that ends well. Not groundbreaking, but well made and well acted. 7/10

Cold War (Zimna wojna)

It's pretty hard not to compare this to "Roma", given they're both black and white foreign dramas, released in 2018 and set in a previous era.

And I have to say that I enjoyed this a lot more.

Set mostly in Poland during the first 20 years of the Cold War, it's a pretty realistic depiction of a man and woman's love during a difficult time in Europe. One is a music director, the other his star performer.

The bleakness of the Eastern Bloc is captured really well, and the cinematography is top notch.

I'd recommend this if you enjoy European films, or just have a fascination with Eastern Europe.

6/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back