Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game Night - 7.5/10

Haven't watched & enjoyed a good comedy film since Horrible Bosses and Bridesmaids were out in theatres
Watched it last night as well and quite enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was amazing. It's pretty similar in vibe to Horrible Bosses, I thought. But I think that was part of the problem for me, as it felt like it was just another in a run of films of four to six people in their late-30s getting into hijinks. Has some funny moments, but had nothing to really add beyond some good laughs.

Also, loses points for criminally underusing Sharon Horgan.

I gave it 6/10.

Watched it last night as well and quite enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was amazing. It's pretty similar in vibe to Horrible Bosses, I thought. But I think that was part of the problem for me, as it felt like it was just another in a run of films of four to six people in their late-30s getting into hijinks. Has some funny moments, but had nothing to really add beyond some good laughs.

Also, loses points for criminally underusing Sharon Horgan.

I gave it 6/10.

May have given it extra points because of Kylie Bunbury :moustache:

Spiderman - Spiderverse
Hot movie where a dude gets bitten by a spider and awesome, multi-dimensional space s**t happens and all different people from different universes who also have been bitten by a spider team up and do rad saving-the-world type stuff. Recognised some of the characters, graphics were great. 10/ 10

Madame Sin
Started great, ended up crap. Soundtrack was excellent. In the 1970s people did funny, naive s**t. Actually not sure what this film was about but it involved a submarine and ultra-sonic mind control devices 3 / 10

GoT has genuine plot twists
Does it really? I got bored halfway through the red wedding, was fairly obvious there was going to be some "OMG! PLOT TWISTTTT!" type massacre for the sake of it and soon as it started I turned it off and never watched it again.

No idea how people can argue GOT is "complex" or whatever... it's a soap opera with a big budget.

LOTR I wouldn't bother watching again, the books are great tho.

Bohemian Rhapsody
o.72388.jpg

It's ok I thought. Pretty run of the mill really. Plays it loose with facts, history, and timelines. Doesn't delve too deeply in to things. Obviously a good soundtrack which is what most people are liking about it. I don't think all the praise for Rami Malik doing Freddy is earned, I think Freddy whilst flamboyant, also had moments where he came across steely and masculine. This movie plays it 100% flamboyant, which changes dynamics a bit. The recreation of Live Aid is a fantastic achievement of film making... but to some extent I reckon, why not just watch the real one?

7/10

Over the last couple of months or so - don't even care that I'll go full film snob on some of these.

Burning - A complex and layered, slow yet absorbing, amazingly acted masterpiece by Lee Chang-Dong. Steven Yeun will get the most Western notice, and deservedly so - has turned into a terrific actor in his own right and choosing the exactly right films and directors to work with, but Yoo Ah-in is the revelation. Plays his introverted like character with confusion, jealousy and simmering rage that makes his every action, every look simply unmissable. A scene where he and Yeun watch their friend/acquaintance Hae-Mi dance topless to Miles Davis at twilight should be put up in the Smithsonian. 10/10

High Flying Bird - Soderbergh. NBA Labor Relations. Andre Holland & Zazie Beetz. Not sure if there's a film that's going to be more up my wheelhouse than this. The Sorkin esque dialogue is jargon heavy, but I ******* lapped that s**t up. It's the best film about basketball since Hoop Dreams and it has like 30 seconds of any actual basketball in it. 9/10

Green Book - Maybe marginally better than the 'racist white guy finds out that racism is actually bad' expectation I had going in, still an inessential film that wraps a neat bow on things because it's crowd-pleasing and not because it was historically accurate. Despite this, the plaudits for Ali and Viggo are earned. 6.5/10

Bohemian Rhapsody - They have a sing-along version of this playing in cinemas. That honestly makes way more sense than this milquetoast piece of trash. I don't even care about all the inaccuracies, it's basically a glossy version of a Lifetime movie made in the 80s. I'll stan for Rami before and after this but if he wins Best Actor I hope he thanks his dentures. 5/10

If Beale Street Could Talk - Barry Jenkins can just make character studies for the rest of eternity, cause they'll all be brilliant. The performances are all mesmerising, the score is one of the best you'll hear (Nicholas Britell is doing some amazing things between this, Moonlight and Succession). Brian Tyree Henry comes in for 15 minutes, and almost steals the entire movie away. 9.5/10

Free Solo - Hard to not come away from this and think that Alex Honnold isn't like some real goddamn superhero. All the shots of the climb are amazing, but they give the insane premise of free soloing 2000m of rock it's proper due, because yeah it's kinda ****ed up that a person would even want to do this. Will probably win best doco, even though Minding the Gap is the better film, but it'd be worth to see Alex on stage. 8.5/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over the last couple of months or so - don't even care that I'll go full film snob on some of these.

Burning - A complex and layered, slow yet absorbing, amazingly acted masterpiece by Lee Chang-Dong. Steven Yeun will get the most Western notice, and deservedly so - has turned into a terrific actor in his own right and choosing the exactly right films and directors to work with, but Yoo Ah-in is the revelation. Plays his introverted like character with confusion, jealousy and simmering rage that makes his every action, every look simply unmissable. A scene where he and Yeun watch their friend/acquaintance Hae-Mi dance topless to Miles Davis at twilight should be put up in the Smithsonian. 10/10
Been looking forward to this for months. Not getting a proper run in cinemas here till easter though...

Green Book (2018)

It makes me happy that in the current cinematic world of boring superhero movies that Hollywood is still making some great cinema. This is what Green Book is. The story and pacing is fantastic, and as we take Tony Lip's journey from casual racist to enlightened man is subtle to the point that the true depth and extent of the change is realized by a simple hug. An action with no fanfare, just friendship. Thank goodness someone is still making good movies. 9/10

Last edited:
Happy Death Day 2U.

Most sequels suck but I really enjoyed this one and I now love the Happy Death Day movies.
Gave the first one a burl last night. Don't think I'll make it to the second. Felt like the screenwriters had no ideas, so said "let's just mash two movies together, Scream and Groundhog Day". But without the same level of character or plot development.

Roma.

It's kinda interesting - about the normal lives of a middle class Mexican family from 40 years ago. But a bit boring too. I'm wondering why it was filmed in black and white as it dulls the senses whereas I would have thought Mexico would be best portrayed in colour.

7/10

Last edited:
I have Sacred Deer and The Lobster on my list of films to watch, but haven't actually seen any of his other films.
Have just watched Sacred Deer. Very dark and powerful movie. One of the creepiest characters I've seen in a film. And like The Lobster, a pretty heavy reflection on modern society. Slow start, but worth it. 8/10

Cannibal Apocalypse
Vietnam vet cops a nasty virus that makes him want to eat human beings. The word "bukowski" is mentioned over 15,000 hundred times. Best soundtrack I've ever heard. Well acted for a cheeseball horror film. A couple of T**ty shots thrown in for good measure :thumbsu: 7.5/10

Children Of Men

It had been on my watch list for quite a few years now and whenever I mentioned it to friends they all raved about how much they loved it. I get it now. It was a fantastic film and I wish I'd watched it earlier - preferably in the cinemas, but oh well. I don't want to give away spoilers in case I'm not the only person in the world that hasn't seen it, but there were a few things I wanted to point out that I loved:
  • It's so unpredictable and chaotic. I love that it truly gives you the sense of the chaos and you never feel wholly stable in what is going on and what will happen.
  • That scene in the car is incredibly well-done. Again, throws you right in the centre of the chaos and you feel like you're in the car with them, experiencing the chaos yourself.
  • The uprising and retaliation to it is shot so well. I love that for most of it you are just watching from Theo's point of view, hiding with him behind half blown apart walls.
  • The big reveal is a poignant and emotional scene. Just the reverence that is shown for those brief few moments restores your faith in humanity.
I'm not sure if it's because I've spent the better part of a decade working with refugees and people seeking asylum, or that I've fairly recently become a father, but the whole movie took on an additional weight with those extra layers.

My rating scale wouldn't let me give half-points, so I'll round it up to 9 out of 10. Great film. Watch it if you haven't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back