Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green Book (2018)

It makes me happy that in the current cinematic world of boring superhero movies that Hollywood is still making some great cinema. This is what Green Book is. The story and pacing is fantastic, and as we take Tony Lip's journey from casual racist to enlightened man is subtle to the point that the true depth and extent of the change is realized by a simple hug. An action with no fanfare, just friendship. Thank goodness someone is still making good movies. 9/10

Generally, I really loved this movie.

Agree about the story and pacing being fantastic. It was slow paced but the 2 hours seemed to go very quickly. It was a bit My Fair Lady with a twist that the sophisticate was a black, gay guy and the commoner was a white, family guy. Then it got a bit Trains, Planes and Automobiles at the end.

The writing and the excellent performances of Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen gave the characters depth. There was a fairly formulaic character arc for each of the main characters but it didn't feel forced.

I thought a couple of scenes laid the racism theme a bit thick - Tony putting the glasses in the bin because the black guys had drank from them, and the black people working the fields like something from 1860 not 1960. But then there were other scenes that dealt with race in a more nuanced way. Dr. Don Shirley didn't identify with the stereotype traits of black Americans. Tony Lip, the white guy, claimed he was more black than Don Shirley.

And who doesn't love an American road trip movie?

8/10

Shoplifters (2018)

This Japanese movie about a family living on the edge of society getting by with petty crime and scams was a very interesting view of Japanese life one normally doesn't see. The group are together for nefarious reasons, even starting with them deciding to keep a little girl who is suffering abuse and make her part of their rag tag family. But somehow it works, they achieve a closeness that comes from real love. These desperate souls for a brief time have a true family until it all comes crashing down. 7/10

Mortal Engines (2018)

You can really feel Peter Jackson's touch in this odd film. The pacing and characters have a real LOTR's vibe to them. But the premise of London rolling around on wheels devouring other mobile cities was. in the end, really stupid. 4/10

Shoplifters (2018)

This Japanese movie about a family living on the edge of society getting by with petty crime and scams was a very interesting view of Japanese life one normally doesn't see. The group are together for nefarious reasons, even starting with them deciding to keep a little girl who is suffering abuse and make her part of their rag tag family. But somehow it works, they achieve a closeness that comes from real love. These desperate souls for a brief time have a true family until it all comes crashing down. 7/10

Mortal Engines (2018)

You can really feel Peter Jackson's touch in this odd film. The pacing and characters have a real LOTR's vibe to them. But the premise of London rolling around on wheels devouring other mobile cities was. in the end, really stupid. 4/10
Your last line made me chuckle quite a lot. It almost makes me want to watch Mortal Engines just for the ridiculousness factor.

Caught Khartoum with Charlton Heston on the tv. Pretty solid 60's historical epic. Was interesting to read writeups criticizing it for the racial aspect with the good white Heston going up against the evil brownface Laurence Olivier. Obviously getting out the boot polish isn't something you can do, but reading the actual history the film went out of its way to make a lot of stuff up to make Olivier's character more honorable in victory than the real person.

Watched Solo. Gave this a miss at the cinemas and I stand by that. For a movie that nobody asked for and was a bit messy, it was ok. I can honestly say that I liked it a whole lot more than the Last Jedi which was just trash. The movie was full of flaws and some questionable casting but around a 5.5/10 for me.

Caught up on a couple of movies I missed.

Hacksaw Ridge (I work in the world of military history so I struggle with most new war movies but I enjoyed this one a lot. The religious Mel Gibson style kind of ground me in places but overall good action and what a story. 8/10

Rush (Solid movie expect for Hemsworths dodgy British accent. Made me research a lot about older F1 after the movie. Those guys were absolutely nuts. So many deaths. 7/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched Solo. Gave this a miss at the cinemas and I stand by that. For a movie that nobody asked for and was a bit messy, it was ok. I can honestly say that I liked it a whole lot more than the Last Jedi which was just trash. The movie was full of flaws and some questionable casting but around a 5.5/10 for me.
I watched it a couple of days ago. I found it pretty dull mostly tbh. It just had nothing really appealing about it.

Wtf was up with Darth Maul appearing from no-where? I swear i saw Obi-wan cut him in half? It made no sense to me that what's her name was in cahoots with him. it's like they are planning a sequel which i can't believe would ever be made.

I watched it a couple of days ago. I found it pretty dull mostly tbh. It just had nothing really appealing about it.

Wtf was up with Darth Maul appearing from no-where? I swear i saw Obi-wan cut him in half? It made no sense to me that what's her name was in cahoots with him. it's like they are planning a sequel which i can't believe would ever be made.
Darth Maul has been alive and well with robo legs in Rebels/Clone Wars for a while now. I cna imagine it would have been a surprise to most fans but anyone who has a bit of an understanding of the canon, while surprised, was not shocked by the reveal.

ALITA - Battle Angel. A great futuristic film by James Cameron based on the 90's Japaneses manga series. Stunning effects and visuals and great action. Christolph Waltz is wonderful and this young woman (played by the beautiful Rosa Salazar) kicks some major league ass! And definite room for a sequel! 8/10

220px-Secrets_of_the_Phantom_Caverns_movie_poster.jpg

What Waits Below aka Secrets of the Phantom Caverns
Mercenary/cave diver/kung-fu expert/Socially conscious & environmentally responsible ladies man Pete "Wolf" Wolfsen goes deep into a cave with some scientists and army men to retrieve a poorly disguised Commodore 64 computer that they pretend is an ultra-sonic transmitter. On the way they discover a remote society of human beings who cover themselves in talcum powder, wear white moccasins, and enjoy knitting. Ripper movie. 8/10

Last edited:
220px-Secrets_of_the_Phantom_Caverns_movie_poster.jpg

What Waits Below aka Secret of the Phantom Caverns
Mercenary/cave diver/kung-fu expert/Socially conscious & environmentally responsible ladies man Pete "Wolf" Wolfsen goes deep into a cave with some scientists and army men to retrieve a poorly disguised Commodore 64 computer that they pretend is an ultra-sonic transmitter. On the way they discovers a remote society of human beings who cover themselves in talcum powder, wear white moccasins, and enjoy knitting. Ripper movie. 8/10
Yeah I remember this. Great watch!!! :thumbsu:

Darth Maul has been alive and well with robo legs in Rebels/Clone Wars for a while now. I cna imagine it would have been a surprise to most fans but anyone who has a bit of an understanding of the canon, while surprised, was not shocked by the reveal.
Robot legs? The dude got cut in half at the waist. He then tumbled down some huge vent thing if I remember right, in two seperate pieces.

I think it’s taking the piss personally and I don’t think they should bank on the small percentage who follow the non movie stuff. It came off as random and stupid to me, but I only watch the movies.

Anyway, it was a pretty forgettable movie so at least that part stands out.

Robot legs? The dude got cut in half at the waist. He then tumbled down some huge vent thing if I remember right, in two seperate pieces.

I think it’s taking the piss personally and I don’t think they should bank on the small percentage who follow the non movie stuff. It came off as random and stupid to me, but I only watch the movies.

Anyway, it was a pretty forgettable movie so at least that part stands out.
Same as the bullshit about Boba Fett surviving that Sarlaac monster in ROTJ.

He died so let him die in peace ffs. :rolleyes:

Same as the bullshit about Boba Fett surviving that Sarlaac monster in ROTJ.

He died so let him die in peace ffs. :rolleyes:
Has he supposed to have survived? I don’t remember seeing him in a movie since? Or is that an upcoming one?

Has he supposed to have survived? I don’t remember seeing him in a movie since? Or is that an upcoming one?
In the EU books he escapes the creature.

[IMG='width:183px;']https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMzBiMWQ0NWQtNjFjNy00Y2ZlLWExZjMtZTg0MzVlMzU5YTYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,662,1000_AL_.jpg[/IMG]

Nate and Hayes aka Savage Islands (1983)
Before Tommy Lee Jones was typecast as Tommy Lee Jones, he managed to snag a role as a poor impersonation of Harrison Ford.
Incredible they had the gall to write "a 19th century Raiders of the Lost Ark!" on the VHS cover given the film contained frame-by-frame remakes of many iconic Indiana Jones scenes.
Favourite bit was when Tommy Lee Jones was jousting with a woman and after he disarmed her he punched her right in the face. Classy stuff.
This film is so s**t I didn't even rewind the tape after I was done. No surprise it took the film industry 20 years to release another movie with pirates in it. Warmly recommended. 6/10

MV5BYTRkOTkxNTEtZjY4NS00ZWUyLWI0ODItOWEzNmM0ZjQwMGRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Stitches (1985)
Generally not a great sign when the director refuses to put their name on a film but anyway.
Ex-Clint Eastwood side-bitch Rebecca Perei plays bimbo Bambi Bilenka who walks around a medical school getting tricked into revealing her norks by "cool guy on campus" Parker Eastwood. In retaliation Parker's love interest takes her clothes off for a room full of men and then starts doing pranks to get back at him. That's legitimately as close to a plot as this one gets.
Derogatory foreign stereotypes, rampant homophobia, questionable objectification of women + gags that fall completely flat, slow pacing. And girls taking their clothes off. As far as the "1980's sex comedy" genre goes this one is abysmal. You'll be hard pressed to find a film more dated than this! 3/10

Last edited:
Darth Maul returning is stupid. A silly thing made for cartoon that has now found its way to screen because of the easy pleased 'everything is awesome' section of the fan base and to try and raise interest from more casual fans.

Bit different to Boba Fett surviving being knocked in to the sarlacc because the story was he just used his jettpack to fly out of it. Maul was cut in two and fell in to a bottomless pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back