Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the idea of a Boba Fett film is being toyed with as the next "spin off" STAR WARS disney production... :rolleyes:

unc02i.jpg

Caught up on a couple of movies I missed.

Hacksaw Ridge (I work in the world of military history so I struggle with most new war movies but I enjoyed this one a lot. The religious Mel Gibson style kind of ground me in places but overall good action and what a story. 8/10

Rush (Solid movie expect for Hemsworths dodgy British accent. Made me research a lot about older F1 after the movie. Those guys were absolutely nuts. So many deaths. 7/10

I really liked both of these, Andrew Garfield was immense in Hacksaw, what a performance.

[IMG='width:163px;']https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTkwNTAzNTc1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTE0ODI5._V1_.jpg[/IMG]

Night Creature aka The Devil's Beast (1978)
Aristocrat & world-renowned game hunter Alex Whatshisface is employed to shoot a panther but fails, so he pays some locals to capture said panther so he can fail at shooting it again. What follows is approximately 70 minutes of close up shots of Donald Pleasance opening his eyes as wide as possible, interspersed with unrelated stock footage of a panther. Unprecedented lack of continuity in this one- it's makes so little sense the production company decided to market it as a horror even though it's just an old guy chasing a cat for a few days before giving up.
This is a genuine abomination of a film. 8/10

Last edited:
E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial

Put this on for the kids and they LOVED it.
Has aged wonderfully and is still so magical. :thumbsu:

8/10

Gone Baby Gone

Good flick. Even better than the first time I saw it.

I think this is one of the most underrated movies of the last twenty years. Brilliant acting all around, great script and story beats, unique twist that divides the audience. It’s probably the best noir detective stories since Se7en.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is one of the most underrated movies of the last twenty years. Brilliant acting all around, great script and story beats, unique twist that divides the audience. It’s probably the best noir detective of since Se7en.
100%

Casey Affleck is brilliant in it.

I saw 'A Simple Favor' on the weekend and really enjoyed it. Anna Kendrick was cute playing her Nancy Drew-like single mom character Stephanie.

This one surprised me. It's really well written with some good twists and turns. Blake Lively is terrific in it.

Lords of Chaos

About the 1980s Norwegian black metal music scene and the descent of some of the main players into sociopathy. It starts off promisingly - some comedic moments, like if Spinal Tap were a real band crossed with a Norwegian version of Trainspotting. But it goes downhill as the story isn't well told and the characters are mostly unappealing. There's a very graphic scene of someone committing suicide and some other gore.

5/10

RAMBO III - apparently had the highest body count by one man of all time in its day and not hard to see why.
Pretty dated and cheesy as * but fun as hell.

6/10

RAMBO III - apparently had the highest body count by one man of all time in its day and not hard to see why.
Pretty dated and cheesy as **** but fun as hell.

6/10
hot_shots_body_count1.jpg

Bohemian Rhapsody

7/10

Solid but unspectacular biopic. Hits all the right notes for Queen fans. Surprised it got a nomination for BP. Some of the others must have been rubbish.
Rami Malek played Freddie like a caricature. Over the top phrasing and plumminess , every line was a performance. I dont think I once saw Freddies insecurity, his twitchiness, his arrogance came from that insecurity, not confidence.

I had concerns over the prosthetics when I saw the trailer and they carried through to the film. It was like seeing Pamela Stephenson do Janet Street Porter.

Ultimately the music carries this film and with Queen you are going to get some very good music

I thought the rest of the band were cast pretty well

Free Solo. Probably the greatest psysical acheivement ive seen Ive seen performed by a man. Though some of those long distance swims are worse come to think of it. Either way what he did was incredible and not something I could even fathom without seeing with my own eyes even then it hard to beleive he could do it. The guy is clearly insane.

Gone Baby Gone

Good flick. Even better than the first time I saw it.

I think this is one of the most underrated movies of the last twenty years. Brilliant acting all around, great script and story beats, unique twist that divides the audience. It’s probably the best noir detective of since Se7en.

I read this post thinking this was more and more over the top, I mean noir detective?... and then I realised that Gone Baby Gone isn't the one where a kid only drives getaway with his walkman on.

Free Solo. Probably the greatest psysical acheivement ive seen Ive seen performed by a man. Though some of those long distance swims are worse come to think of it. Either way what he did was incredible and not something I could even fathom without seeing with my own eyes even then it hard to beleive he could do it. The guy is clearly insane.
My palms were sweating the whole time watching this.

As I think was noted in the doc, as great a physical achievement as it is I reckon it's a greater mental one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back