Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching. Father looks for missing daughter. Everything happens on a computer screen (like Unfriended). I liked it. 7/10

Shazam - 6.5/10. Watchable but only because of Zachery Levi's charisma and childish behaviours.

Avengers: Endgame - 7.5/10 - excellent end to everything that has come before. I'm a harsh marker, but rate it about on par with Civil War and Infinity War. The clear stand out in the Marvel Cinematic universe is still The Winter Soldier which I rate at a 9/10.

My opinion... Oscar love due to mainly all black cast.
Yeah, Hollywood love to pat themselves on the back for "being progressive".

Black Panther had great costumes; I understand them winning an award for that.

But every other aspect of the film was the same as other superhero/popcorn action films. It was not a well made film, and definitely not deserving of any awards.

Like Moonlight a few years ago, I think it's an important film. I'm glad that more mainstream films (or films with a wider audience, like Moonlight) are casting more diversely. It's ridiculous that it's taken this long for other ethnicities to be represented in Hollywood, and it irks me that Hollywood think they're amazing for doing for the bare ******* minimum, but that's a bit of a tangent.

My point is, it's important, but that doesn't make it a well made film.

The Curse of the Weeping Woman

James Wan delivers again. 7/10

The Abyss 7/10

Didnt know a lot about the backstory to this movie but I have a new found appreciation for the cast and crew who were pushed to breaking point in the pursuit Camerons obsessive and perfectionist nature to create a uniquely sci fi movie

Going to see Avengers : Endgame on sunday.

Someone told me that it would be good to see the previous Russo brothers movies as a refresher.

Captain America : Civil War. This movie is garbage and has very little relevance to Endgame. 5/10

Avengers : Infinity War. Love this movie. Very well constructed and leads perfectly into Endgame. 8/10.

Had an unproductive week.

Young Adult: Charlize Theron plays an alcoholic writer (actually a fresh take on a tired trope) trying to win back her, now married, high-school sweetheart. One of those movies you enjoy in the moment but can't remember much the day after. 7.5/10.

Swiss Army Man: WTF. Have no idea what I just saw. Daniel Radcliffe plays a farting corpse that connects with a marooned, depressed man. Unique. 8.5/10.

Good Time: A deadbeat robs a bank with his intellectually challenged brother (probably the stupidest idea I've heard). s**t hits the fan surprise surprise. Had only known Robert Patterson as the broody vampire guy before but he can act. 7/10.

Virunga: Documentary that follows park rangers in a Congolese national park trying to protect it from oil corporations, rebel armies and poachers. Important and heart-wrenching. Like most docos goes for 15mins too long though. 9/10.

Long Shot

Many of the reviews point out that Charlize Theron and Seth Rogan together requures a suspension of disbelief.... bit somehow it works.

Id agree. And i laughed a lot at this one, often at the small digs between the big obvious jokes the rest of the theatre didnt seem to catch.

This movie feels a little like a more adult and refined (i use those terms VERY loosely) version of Knocked Up.... without the omnishambles of Katherine Heigel and toned down version of Seth Rogan.

I enjoyed it for the funny, low expectation movie it is. I certainly didnt think about the price of the ticket when i came out. Would recommend a watch to those who like seth rogan or enjoying staring at charlize theron (or her comedy, shes genuinely funny).

4 stars out of 5, for exceeding my expectations.

On a side note, it was once said that Brad Pitt is a character actor, trapped in the body of a leading man. I think a similar case could be made for Charlize Theron.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aquaman - seemed to be a random collection of action scenes thrown together to make up a movie. Was entertaining in parts but not something I'll watch again for a while unless I want to kill a couple of hours on a rainy day. Was going to give it 6/10 but took 2 off as it had Kidman in it (thank god for the fast forward button) 4/10

We watched A Star is Born (2018) again last night and what a fantastic movie. Bradley Cooper is just amazing, and he directed the film too. Lady GaGa's singing adds real quality to the film but as an actor she's not in Coopers league, but does a good job of her part. Fantastic movie.

Agree that Cooper does a great job both acting and directing but his accent was right on the borderline for me. Sometimes it was great and helped to create the character, other times I was really noticing it. I always liked Sam Elliott and he has such a distinctive drawl, I found myself wondering if Cooper was trying to adapt it which is really interesting if it was to add to the feeling that they were brothers.

Last edited:
Watched Primer (2004) again last night after Endgame got me thinking about time travel movies again. Big fan of this one, I've seen it about as many times as the main characters climb into boxes and no one really knows how many times that is. Primer comes up with a really interesting system for their version of time travel and differs slightly from Endgame in that the MCU movie was made on a budget of $356,000,000 (closer to half a billion with promotion added in) and Primer was made for a grand total of $7,000.

If you don't mind low budget movies where you miss most of it on the first viewing, its well worth a watch.

Last edited:
Watched Primer (2004) again last night after Endgame got me thinking about time travel movies again. Big fan of this one, I've seen it about as many times as the main characters climb into boxes and no one really knows how many times that is. Primer comes up with a really interesting system for their time version of time travel and differs slightly from Endgame in that the MCU movie was made on a budget of $356,000,000 (closer to half a billion with promotion added in) and Primer was made for a grand total of $7,000.

If you don't mind low budget movies where you miss most of it on the first viewing, its well worth a watch.
Thanks for the heads up. Sounds really interesting!

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds really interesting!

Make sure to post your thoughts if you do watch it. Its probably not for eveveryone, like I said its ridiculously low budget, almost a student film, but I'm always impressed with the feel of it and if you like a puzzle its definitely got some rewatch value.

End Game - 7.5/10

Pretty good but a let down for me in terms of personal expectations. IW infinitely better.

I also think it felt too bloated with having to fit in every character to feature in the MCU.

Dragged across concrete.

Pretty good thriller about 2 cops (Mel Gibson/Vince Vaughn) who turn dirty for a big score but come up against some SERIOUS criminals.

7/10

The lack of theme music throughout makes every scene feel a little flat.
Other than that, action packed and very violent.

Watched Primer (2004) again last night after Endgame got me thinking about time travel movies again. Big fan of this one, I've seen it about as many times as the main characters climb into boxes and no one really knows how many times that is. Primer comes up with a really interesting system for their version of time travel and differs slightly from Endgame in that the MCU movie was made on a budget of $356,000,000 (closer to half a billion with promotion added in) and Primer was made for a grand total of $7,000.

Incredible film. Pretty sure they helped write Looper in regards to time travel as well.

I’d also recommend Upstream Color by the same director. Guys a remarkable fellow.

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile.

Whoever thought Zac Efron could play Ted Bundy, and do it so well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back