Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (Netflix)

It’s the Ted Bundy story with Zac Efron playing him.

Absolutely shithouse though, don’t bother.

Watch the Bundy Tapes doco - also on Netflix instead.
I enjoyed it and found it took a bit of a different take on the story. I found myself googling after watching the film whether Bundy actually did the murders or not. It's kind of from his perspective, but externally. I though Effron was pretty damn good in this and the Actress playing Liz really breaks your heart.

It's not a memorable film, but its worth watching.

Also, The Bundy Tapes is the same Director, as Edgie has already said.

Made by the same people.
I’m staggered by that. The doco was so much better. I think your comments are right, it was strange, but I found the whole thing totally B grade. Efron was ok in some ways not in others, he didn’t sound anything like Bundy, a better actor would’ve nailed him voice and all. Bundy’s massive ego didn’t come through at all either as they tried to play the “is he innocent?” angle.

The ending was ok but I thought it was a pile of rubbish overall.

I’m staggered by that. The doco was so much better. I think your comments are right, it was strange, but I found the whole thing totally B grade. Efron was ok in some ways not in others, he didn’t sound anything like Bundy, a better actor would’ve nailed him voice and all. Bundy’s massive ego didn’t come through at all either as they tried to play the “is he innocent?” angle.

Probably would have been better off releasing the movie first and then the doco a couple of weeks later. The order of the releases completely nullified their attempts at "is he innocent" angle. Sure anyone older than 45 knows who Ted Bundy is but putting the doco out early removes the film benefit (otherwise, you would aim to show what he did - not in a gratuitous way of course).

I really liked it.

Probably would have been better off releasing the movie first and then the doco a couple of weeks later. The order of the releases completely nullified their attempts at "is he innocent" angle. Sure anyone older than 45 knows who Ted Bundy is but putting the doco out early removes the film benefit (otherwise, you would aim to show what he did - not in a gratuitous way of course).

I heard the order of release is because they thought some might think they were romanticising him with the movie so they wanted to get it out the way that they definitely were not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard the order of release is because they thought some might think they were romanticising him with the movie so they wanted to get it out the way that they definitely were not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can understand that - simply, wouldn't it have been better off holding off until releasing the movie for a year or so.

Dragged across concrete.

Pretty good thriller about 2 cops (Mel Gibson/Vince Vaughn) who turn dirty for a big score but come up against some SERIOUS criminals.

7/10

The lack of theme music throughout makes every scene feel a little flat.
Other than that, action packed and very violent.

I liked a lot of things about Dragged Across Concrete. The plot, the characters, the casting, even the brutal violence. However at 2 hours 40 minutes long it was in need of a major edit. There were too many long winded dialog scenes and other unnecessary scenes - such as the bank employee and her baby. The last section of the movie was the best part of it but I suspect many people would not have made it that far.

Watched " Only the Brave " last night on Netflix.

Totally blown away and what a fantastic film. I am a sucker for true stories that are tragic and i did know of the event that was the Yarnell Hill fire in 2013, but i still was not prepared for the ending that was heart wrenching and totally gave me a tear during the movies climax. :(

You get very involved with the characters ( which makes the ending worse IMO ) and Josh Brolin was excellent as always and is one of the most under rated male actors of today.

If you have not seen it you need to give it a serious look.

8/10.

Watched " Only the Brave " last night on Netflix.

Totally blown away and what a fantastic film. I am a sucker for true stories that are tragic and i did know of the event that was the Yarnell Hill fire in 2013, but i still was not prepared for the ending that was heart wrenching and totally gave me a tear during the movies climax. :(

You get very involved with the characters ( which makes the ending worse IMO ) and Josh Brolin was excellent as always and is one of the most under rated male actors of today.

If you have not seen it you need to give it a serious look.

8/10.
Yeah this movie is great if very sad. True heroes and you’re simply not human if you don’t get a lump in your throat at the end.

Pet Semetary - the remake. This wasn’t bad at all, in fact very good and possibly truer to the Stephen King story but I love the original.

I liked it the same as the Evil Dead remake. Is quite good but nothing will ever beat the original Evil Dead for me.

Very creepy, nice gore and high production.

Recommended for horror aficionados.

7/10

Pet Semetary - the remake. This wasn’t bad at all, in fact very good and possibly truer to the Stephen King story but I love the original.

I liked it the same as the Evil Dead remake. Is quite good but nothing will ever beat the original Evil Dead for me.

Very creepy, nice gore and high production.

Recommended for horror aficionados.

7/10

I didn't mind it but the original totally beats it in every way.

I am going to watch " The Wailing " tonight on Netflix and it's reviews are sensational and i also like Sth Korean cinema which is making huge strides lately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paddleton - a lowkey but incredibly moving film about two middle aged friends who meet later in life and deal with matters of life and death.

Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened - an incredible documentary about an insane series of events that will leave you gobsmacked in its audacity.

Enjoyed a couple of films on Netflix recently:

A Fortunate Man (2018): Danish period drama based on a great novel. Reminded me of the Daniel Deronda story. 7/10

Brawl on Cell Block 99 (2017): One of the more brutal movies you'll see. Liked Vince Vaughn in this. 7.5/10

Shazam -

Forgettable and unremarkable are the two words that come to mind upon reflection. I didn't connect with any of the characters, the villain was generic and underwhelming and nothing that happened throughout the movie made me care about the outcome of the movie or the main character going forward. I think this would have been much more enjoyable if I was 14 which is out of place in the DC Universe they've built to this point.

5/10

Swiss Army Man: WTF. Have no idea what I just saw. Daniel Radcliffe plays a farting corpse that connects with a marooned, depressed man. Unique. 8.5/10.
Have only read / heard good things about this, but just can't get behind the premise when it comes down to the idea of actually watching it. Sounds grim hah.

Have only read / heard good things about this, but just can't get behind the premise when it comes down to the idea of actually watching it. Sounds grim hah.
Some people would hate it because of it's ridiculousness but no-one could say they were bored. It gets pretty jovial in a delusional way so I wouldn't call it grim either. Probably best to watch when movies feel bit stale.

I have seen a few over a few weeks.

A Star is Born (1976). I love Kris Kristofferson. He is an amazing songwriter, political activist and a terrific actor. I have loved loads of Barbara Streisand films. I rate her very highly as an actress and while her music is not my cup of tea, I acknowledge she has a pretty great voice. Despite all that, this was garbage. Self indulgent, boring, 70s film making at it's overblown worst. 2/10.

A Star is Born (2018). A vast improvement on the 76 version. Brad Cooper as the director got the mix of drama, music, tension spot on. 2 great performances and the music was very good. Lukas Nelson is a very good song writer. 8.5/10

Shazam. Good fun, action packed, heartwarming super anti hero (if there is such a thing) movie. Based on the original Captain Marvel premise, Billy Batson gets magical powers bestowed upon him and he turns into a super hero. Much of the humour was very low brow which suited my 11 year old son, but it wasn't so silly that it would alienate adult viewers. 7/10
(I used to watch the original Captain Marvel shows at the cinema every Saturday morning back in England. We were in the ABC Cinema club and had to stand for the national anthem before each episode. It was incredibly kitsch and great fun.) Adventures_of_Captain_Marvel_(1941_serial)_12.jpg

The Avengers. Endgame. I have not watched all of the Marvel superhero films. I quite enjoy them as a bit of light relief and really enjoyed Ironman in particular. I knew enough of the characters to have some idea what was going on. Enjoyable enough adventure film. Great effects, enough touching moments to draw me in. 8/10

For me, best summed up by saying...
The first fart will make you laugh, the last one will make you cry.
I thought it was brilliant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back