Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm amazed I never saw this film until just now.

The 2007 film "THE MIST"

My god, this is a strong candidate for the greatest movie I've ever seen. The screenplay and acting is incredible. Be hard pressed to find better of both in another movie.

Holy s**t this movie is beyond superlatives.

I think that'll be my IMDB review for this movie. No more can be said.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon

The 2007 film "THE MIST"

My god, this is a strong candidate for the greatest movie I've ever seen. The screenplay and acting is incredible. Be hard pressed to find better of both in another movie.

Holy **** this movie is beyond superlatives.

Fantastic movie and,especially considering the budget, it holds up really strongly as one of King's better horror adaptions. Plus I am a big fan of Thomas Jane, just one of those actors that are so easy to watch in any role.

If you haven't already you will no doubt hear at some point how King never wrote that ending, it was changed for the movie.

But what I didn't hear about until not that long ago was another interesting fan theory that argues the deaths of the three people in the car were not in vain and that it was killing his own son that led to the end of the Mist.

Basically the religious older lady, Mrs Carmody, makes a lot of predictions during her rantings... only thing is they all come true (apparently, I haven't rewatched it since reading about the theory). Including her final prediction that the boy would have to be sacrificed if anyone was to be saved.

Here's a link to it in more details if anyone wants to read it. Though personally I still kind of favour the absolute gut wretching'ness of the atheist version.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fantastic movie and,especially considering the budget, it holds up really strongly as one of King's better horror adaptions. Plus I am a big fan of Thomas Jane, just one of those actors that are so easy to watch in any role.

If you haven't already you will no doubt hear at some point how King never wrote that ending, it was changed for the movie.

But what I didn't hear about until not that long ago was another interesting fan theory that argues the deaths of the three people in the car were not in vain and that it was killing his own son that led to the end of the Mist.

Basically the religious older lady, Mrs Carmody, makes a lot of predictions during her rantings... only thing is they all come true (apparently, I haven't rewatched it since reading about the theory). Including her final prediction that the boy would have to be sacrificed if anyone was to be saved.

Here's a link to it in more details if anyone wants to read it. Though personally I still kind of favour the absolute gut wretching'ness of the atheist version.

Thomas Jane is fantastic. Only other thing I've seen him in is The Expanse TV show and that very first season with him leading the show was really what hooked me into that TV show. He's just got something about him, a natural likeability/connection.

And thanks ( :heart: )for that Spoilered info....very interesting stuff.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fantastic movie

Just one problem with that theory....

There was ONE doubter still left who wasn't sacrificed....the store owner who was part of the original group that made a run for the van at the end. He got separated and returned to the store....but not because he became a believer, but simply because he got lost after all the mayhem outside and found himself at the store front.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Thomas Jane is fantastic. Only other thing I've seen him in is The Expanse TV show and that very first season with him leading the show was really what hooked me into that TV show. He's just got something about him, a natural likeability/connection.

And thanks ( :heart: )for that Spoilered info....very interesting stuff.

The Mist will always be the first thing I think of with Thomas Jane but a few from before that; he was the great white hunter guy from The Deep Blue Sea. Dream-catcher was Stephen King again but not as strong a story and not as strong a movie either (straight to DVD I think), when you look back at it now it was a decent ensemble cast though. He also made a pretty good Punisher in what was from memory a pretty average Punisher film.

Lastly I only watched the first half a dozen episodes or so but I remember the TV series Hung started out pretty funny, a divorced and broke high school coach who kind of falls into male prostitution simply because he's, hung.

But each role is exactly like you say, he's got a natural likeability that makes it easy to buy into his characters.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
The Mist will always be the first thing I think of with Thomas Jane but a few from before that; he was the great white hunter guy from The Deep Blue Sea. Dream-catcher was Stephen King again but not as strong a story and not as strong a movie either (straight to DVD I think), when you look back at it now it was a decent ensemble cast though. He also made a pretty good Punisher in what was from memory a pretty average Punisher film.

Lastly I only watched the first half a dozen episodes or so but I remember the TV series Hung started out pretty funny, a divorced and broke high school coach who kind of falls into male prostitution simply because he's, hung.

But each role is exactly like you say, he's got a natural likeability that makes it easy to buy into his characters.

+1 for Thomas Jane. He was in a movie made in Australia with John Cuscack that was fun too, played a retired race driver who was taken hostage to do a bank job.

Also played the guy killed wanking in The Crow back before he got muscles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2007 film "THE MIST"

Holy **** this movie is beyond superlatives.

It's a severely underrated movie.

Mudguts12

All Australian
Jul 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

He was in an excellent filmcalled Stander as well where he played the titular role. Highly recommended. Was hilarious in Boogie Nights too.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
stander.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Dragged across concrete: 8/10. Same director as Brawl in Cell block 99 S.Craig Zahler and boy does he have a bright future. Reminds me very much in style of Jeremy Saulnier. It’s a deliberately slow burn especially the last act which is an incredibly well crafted half hour of tension. Mel Gibson at the best he’s been in a long time.

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Dragged across concrete: 8/10. Same director as Brawl in Cell block 99 S.Craig Zahler and boy does he have a bright future. Reminds me very much in style of Jeremy Saulnier. It’s a deliberately slow burn especially the last act which is an incredibly well crafted half hour of tension. Mel Gibson at the best he’s been in a long time.

Well said. Very enjoyable film.

Saw the low budget/low grade sci-fi film Upgrade last night, locally made by Leigh Whannel. Had low expectations and had a great time. Its cheeky fun, has obvious flaws but whilst it doesnt take itself too seriously it still worms its way into you head and even though its a solid C+ it is one of the most enjoyable films Ive seen in ages.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Fist Fight - Put it on Netflix last night because both my wife and I have been sick and didn't want to think, plus we have a mutual love of Charlie Day. Even those circumstances weren't enough to save this terrible waste of time. Although it had a couple of moments that genuinely made me laugh, the whole film was unfortunately guilty of the worst sin of a comedy. It just wasn't funny. 3/10

Long Shot - Just watched this and like others in the thread have mentioned, it's really great. Sure, it follows a lot of romcom tropes, but that's OK. It's good at what it is and somehow the romance between the two leads is believable. Well worth a date night watch. 8/10

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Original Predator. Loved it as a kid and still love it today just as much, probably more.
I also read today that the intro with the spaceship was squeezed in by the studio against the directors will and the original vision was to have the alien reveal be a leftfield suprise.
Great film.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
The Mist is great. Probably my third favourite Steven King Horror film after The Shining (classic) and 1408 (another underrated gem).

[IMG='width:211px;']https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BYTFlNDI2NzktOWJlZi00YjY3LWI3ODUtYThjNmE3Y2E5ZWZmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,640,1000_AL_.jpg[/IMG]
Grunt! The Wrestling Movie (1985)
Probably the greatest documentary ever made. "Mad Dog" Joe DeCurso trials a powerful new wrestling move that results in GWA world heavyweight champion "Skull Crusher" Johnson being decapitated in the ring. Despite being found not guilty of manslaughter, DeCurso bodyslams the judge before jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge (presumably) ending his life. Six years later, the GWA federation announce a 12 person battle royal to declare the new champion (because Skull Crusher couldn't defend the title without a head). One of the competitors is the "idol of children, kisser of dogs" the Mask who some suspect is actually Joe DeCurso... Soundtrack by the same guys who wrote all the good songs in Grease. Killer film! 9/10

[IMG='width:201px;']https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BZDJhMDU0OWQtM2QwNS00ODZhLWE2MDctNzdhYmNiZGI4OTdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,656,1000_AL_.jpg[/IMG]
Amazon Women On The Moon (1987)
Perfect for anyone with ADHD, this is a feature-length sketch comedy show featuring Princess Leia wearing * all, B B King soliloquising on the tragedy of black men born without soul, and a timely explanation on the phenomenon known as "cottage cheese thighs". 9/10

In other good news, I got some SUPER NEW VHS TAPES so expect some more reviews soon :D :D :D

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
Aladdin.

Lacked some of the humour of the original and was quite a bit darker. I still enjoyed it but probably wouldn’t like it so much if I wasn’t a huge fan of the animation. The dude who plays Aladdin is distractingly attractive. 7/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back