Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic 4 and Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer

220px-Fantastic_Four_poster.jpg
220px-Fantastic_Four_2_Poster.jpg

Some pre-MCU comic movies. I remember these movies being rather ripped on at the time, but I found them perfectly reasonable. They are light, almost kids movies in a way, but again, it was before the 'dark and gritty reboot' phase of Hollywood (and from what I hear the dark and gritty reboot of this is even worse). The four main characters + Victor Von Doom all seem well cast though I admit to never reading the comics, and perform their roles well. There's good action, some of the effects have started to age but some still hold up, and yeah, just solid entertainment I guess from a more innocent time when these things were planned out to the ninth degree as part of 40 film franchises.

I'd say the first is a 7/10 and the second is a 7.5/10 as it doesn't suffer from origin movie tropes.

Toy Story 4 would wanna be fantastic as I think it is completely unnecessary and suspect it's just a money making exercise given how perfectly 3 ended the series.

Watched Toy Story 4 yesterday.

Probably below 1/2/3 but that's not anything to be ashamed of, the standard is incredibly high. We got closure for Andy in 3, well we get closure for others in 4. You can argue it's unnecessary but it's still damn good and worthy of the Pixar name. Lot of laugh out loud moments and a meaningful ending.

The animation is unreal, too. Almost at the point of photo-realism.

PC nazis all over the production too; Indian looking dad with a chunky white female partner.

Not touching that one with a ten foot barge pole.

Watched Toy Story 4 yesterday.

Probably below 1/2/3 but that's not anything to be ashamed of, the standard is incredibly high. We got closure for Andy in 3, well we get closure for others in 4. You can argue it's unnecessary but it's still damn good and worthy of the Pixar name. Lot of laugh out loud moments and a meaningful ending.

The animation is unreal, too. Almost at the point of photo-realism.

Not touching that one with a ten foot barge pole.
Yep echoing my thoughts exactly. The animation was incredible. I was blown away in that opening in the rain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silent House. I love a good twist but this one just seemed lame and didn't make sense.
The twist of the split/multiple personalities has been done to death. There have been lots of good ones. This wasn't one of them.

Toy Story 4 was a brilliant, funny, emotional, totally unnecessary movie.

Not sure how I feel about the ending (and sure, some toys not being used much was a bit sad), but the movie as a whole was about as good as you could possibly hope for and certainly didn't do any harm to franchise. Not sure where I'd rate it out of the 4, but it's not like it'd be first three then daylight.

PC nazis all over the production too; Indian looking dad with a chunky white female partner.
LOL, the film's badass hero is a female toy who doesn't want to be held down, but sure, a possibly mixed race marriage being ok was the real message being shoved down our throats...

Searching

Daughter goes missing, father desperately tries to find her. But not Liam Neeson style; instead he uses every phone, laptop and website he can to track her down. The film's 'gimmick' is that it's told solely through device screens - other than some streamed video, everything is browsers, webcams, and message threads

Could easily have fallen off the rails due to its gimmicky nature, but I thought the style was done so well as to be seamless. And apart from maybe a couple of plot points that were a bit too convenient, the movie itself was really good. John Cho played the father really well and managed to give a great performance despite not actually being in front of proper cameras the entire movie.

8/10

I sat through Black Panther

bland
boring
rubbish

I've now watched it twice and just don't get why it's so highly rated ?

In contrast I also watched Spider-man: Homecoming........ while I still prefer the Tobey era Spidey films (including.... yes Spider-man 3). I actually like the movie more than I previously did. I do find it quite humourous that Michael Keaton steals the movie as the villain. In much the same way that Jack Nicholson stole the movie in Batman '89 (just think it's quite funny that Keaton was largely overshadowed in Batman '89. While he does the overshadowing nearly 20 years later in a movie in which he is the villain).

Yesterday

The story line was patchy with the timeline of the music all over the place and a very far fetched plot line but overall was a good 2 hours. If you are a fan of the Beatles or Paul, George, Ringo or John you should enjoy this movie.

The acting was quite good, music terrific and an amazing vibe about the whole story. A fun filled 2 hours from start to finish, however the plot is a bit of a stretch.

8 out of 10.

Anyone seen Parasite yet? Saw it at Nova last night.

It’s a Korean film that’s kind of hard to describe. Part dark comedy, part drama, and then it gets... full on. No spoilers.

Sum of the humour is lost a bit in the subtitles but overall a very strong movie. One of the best this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back