Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Anyone seen Parasite yet? Saw it at Nova last night.

It’s a Korean film that’s kind of hard to describe. Part dark comedy, part drama, and then it gets... full on. No spoilers.

Sum of the humour is lost a bit in the subtitles but overall a very strong movie. One of the best this year.

Was it as good as The Host and Snowpiercer?

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
My favourite films seen for the first time in the first half of 2019:

1. The Duellists (Ridley Scott, 1977)
2. Isle of Dogs (Wes Anderson, 2018)
3. High Tide (Gillian Armstrong, 1987)
4. Forbidden Lie$ (Anna Broinowski, 2007)
5. Talking to a Stranger (Christopher Morahan, 1966)
6. The Talented Mr. Ripley (Anthony Minghella, 1999)
7. AI: Artificial Intelligence (Steven Spielberg, 2001)
8. Someone to Watch Over Me (Ridley Scott, 1987)
9. I'm Not There (Todd Haynes, 2007)
10. Robin Hood (Wolfgang Reitherman, 1973)

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Unbreakable (2000) - 5/10

Eeeeeeeh. I couldn't get into it, but can understand why some people love it. Bruce Willis' acting bugged me. Watched this because I loved Split and wanted to check out Glass, but not sure if I'll watch Glass now.

Bad Times At The El Royale (2018) - 8/10

This was just pure fun and exactly what I was looking for. Highly recommend.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The Founder.

My wife and I used to work at Maccas, so we understood a lot of the processes/terminology that was used. A great movie still, really enjoyed it.
I both loved and hated this film. It was so well done, but I felt dirty after watching it. Ray is just a terrible human.

But to open the 100th store directly across the road and completely put them out of business is cold. Ice. Cold.
Oh yeah - its a big FU (much like the Brooklyn Nets recruiting over the top of the New York Knicks in the last 24 hours) no doubt about it

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I both loved and hated this film. It was so well done, but I felt dirty after watching it. Ray is just a terrible human.
I kinda felt this as well but then thought - the idea was in front of the brothers the whole time who did not want to pursue it.
But to open the 100th store directly across the road and completely put them out of business is cold. Ice. Cold.
My old boss - who owns two stores - said his behaviour was probably exaggerated, and that the McDonald's family has "squillions" lol.

Have to be ruthless in business. Like you say FP, it was all there for them and they didn't want to capitalise on it. They were too worried about being the nice guys (supposedly).

Absolutely it was an arsehole move, but it's business at the end of the day. And Ray had the attitude to succeed.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yesterday (2019)

Went to see it with my wife yesterday (!) for our wedding anniversary and we both really enjoyed it. Your life won’t be changed by watching it, but it’s a really great celebration of The Beatles’ music with an interesting story concept – what if they never existed and only one person remembered the songs?

Two things that I didn’t expect from the trailer: 1/ Ed Sheeran is a fairly main character, not just a cameo, and 2/ The versions of the songs are really great. Himesh Patel has a really great singing voice that works really well with all the songs and the live version of Help! was absolutely killer.

8/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sketi

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2011
depreston
AFL Club
Sydney
Crazy Rich Asians - Entertaining rom com which isn't outrageously funny, but is well executed. Was good for a hangover 7/10

BlacKkKlansman - Handled some pretty serious subject matter with a deft, light-hearted tone. Very good 8/10

rank and file

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2013
michael mitchell country
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
bell park
I sat through Black Panther

bland
boring
rubbish

I've now watched it twice and just don't get why it's so highly rated ?

In contrast I also watched Spider-man: Homecoming........ while I still prefer the Tobey era Spidey films (including.... yes Spider-man 3). I actually like the movie more than I previously did. I do find it quite humourous that Michael Keaton steals the movie as the villain. In much the same way that Jack Nicholson stole the movie in Batman '89 (just think it's quite funny that Keaton was largely overshadowed in Batman '89. While he does the overshadowing nearly 20 years later in a movie in which he is the villain).
How come you watched it twice if it was rubbish?

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

jackn

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2006
aus
AFL Club
Carlton
Yesterday (2019)

Went to see it with my wife yesterday (!) for our wedding anniversary and we both really enjoyed it. Your life won’t be changed by watching it, but it’s a really great celebration of The Beatles’ music with an interesting story concept – what if they never existed and only one person remembered the songs?

Two things that I didn’t expect from the trailer: 1/ Ed Sheeran is a fairly main character, not just a cameo, and 2/ The versions of the songs are really great. Himesh Patel has a really great singing voice that works really well with all the songs and the live version of Help! was absolutely killer.

8/10
Saw this one last night with wifey and we both loved it. I found it much funnier than I was expecting. The first half hour or so especially, cinema was cracking up regularly. The music I was expecting to be great and it was. Agree help was amazing. I've had it on spotify rotation today.

Himesh Patel reminded me so much of an Indian russell brand.

9/10 although I don't think it's necessarily a 9/10 movie. I just really, really enjoyed it.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I wonder if Jordan Peele is going to be a one hit wonder. US and his Twilight Zone reboot not doing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like he's going to do a Shyamalan. Us had great potential with the plot of doubles taking over. Just horrible execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back