Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yesterday (2019)

If something weird happened and suddenly the Beatles never existed and only you knew they did and knew all their songs, why wouldn't you pass them off as your own and make a mint. This is the tale of Yesterday, and an enjoyable story it is. The premise builds tension in the fact that the protagonist a UK/Indian called jack Malik is lauded as possibly the greatest songwriter to have ever lived. He has to deal with the fact these songs don't belong to him and I think the film does deal with this without resorting to clique sci fi plot developments. The love story sub plot is somewhat tedious though, and does resort to clique romcom plot points. My only other feeling about this film is the guy who played John Malik (Himesh Patel) was a pretty mediocre performer musically, and I don't think his versions of such popular Beatles hits really did them any justice. It was more akin to average karaoke than an artistic performance. But it is what it is. Overall, not a bad film but I feel somehow it missed the mark because Himesh Patel who plays Malik just doesn't carry it that well and the more I think about the story I feel they could've done so much better than this. 5/10
Interesting take on it. I was totally the opposite around Himesh Patel's performance though. I didn't necessarily believe his acting all the time, but thought his renditions of the Beatles songs were really great. I particularly loved the version of Help on the rooftop of the hotel down by the beach.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Passengers

Passengers_2016_film_poster.jpg

Wow. I was always interested in seeing this, so when it was on telly just as the baby decided to nap it was a great convenience. I was really enjoying for 95% of things too, up until the ending, that left me feeling like we wasted a few lucky hours on that s**t. It was awful, which is disappointing because everything up til then was quite solid.

6/10

Agree on that Passengers review.

It started so well, it had all the creative possibilities that a movie set in space could offer.

And then it ended up just being another silly love song.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
It was well made and interesting with charismatic actors, but in the very end it turned out to be not only abysmally plain and safe, but also nonsensical and illogical.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Alita: Battle Angel - 6/10

A fairly enjoyable popcorn movie to watch while nursing a hang over. The romance subplot was unbearable, but had some neat action.

Next up is to watch Mcconaughey's performance in The Beach Bum

Passengers

Passengers_2016_film_poster.jpg

Wow. I was always interested in seeing this, so when it was on telly just as the baby decided to nap it was a great convenience. I was really enjoying for 95% of things too, up until the ending, that left me feeling like we wasted a few lucky hours on that s**t. It was awful, which is disappointing because everything up til then was quite solid.

6/10
Agree on that Passengers review.

It started so well, it had all the creative possibilities that a movie set in space could offer.

And then it ended up just being another silly love song.

Agreed x 3. Interesting premise, started off well, was engaged, and then the third act kicked in. Ugh. Would not surprise me if it was changed because test audiences didn't like it, much like with I Am Legend.

Some suggested that the movie should have started with Lawrence's character waking up, then have the first act be her and the audience figuring out if Pratt's character could be trusted, and his motives.

Some suggested that a far better ending would have been Pratt's character dying when trying to fix the ship, and Lawrence's character deciding to wake up another person for company, and I completely agree.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Literally anything would have been better. I'll float anything later when I'm on the computer and can do spoilers again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 10, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pet Sematary (2019).

i had read the book and seen the movie a while back so could remember some plot points. There was some tension in the first part
waiting for gage to get run over. double spoiler. it been ellie was a suprise. i liked how it was a bit of a fake out which kid died
but i didnt find the movie scary or that interesting. i thought it was going to be super gruesome after the car crash victim is shown with his brain leaking out the side of his head, but there was very little horror or gore after that - there was a little bit but mostly it was cutaways; the movie focused more on suspense and tension to its detriment. the pet sematary and indian burial ground was spooky and looked good. the mother's dead sister (zelda?) was the freakiest part of the movie. i liked Jud.

squarely in the category of "meh it was fine". so 5/10.

i liked how the "zombies" made the other members of their family into zombies as well. i'd watch a sequel that was focused on an alien invasion of the zombies taking over the rest of the town. i liked the cat - seemed more of an evil familiar than just a bad cat. it setup ellie to die and also a distraction for Jud so ellie could take him out. ouch achilles heel indeed.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Game Night.

I'm not much of a fan of comedies unless they are done well but this turned out to be one of the best movies I've watched this year.

Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams play a nerdy couple, Max and Annie, who like to invite their friends over for game nights. Things get interesting when Max's more successful brother turns up and takes the games to a new level with unintended consequences. Overall it's well put together, there's several laugh out loud scenes and a bunch of fun characters.

7/10

Last edited:
Equalizer 2

It's alright but something just doesn't work with this film. Danzel is great as per usual but the film just doesn't work as a whole and has a big problem with pacing. 5/10 from me.

YESTERDAY - An interesting premise but a wonderful movie paying homage to The Beatles, reminding us like BORAP about the power of music, why legends live on forever and how we should be forever grateful to them and ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE. 8/10

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Alita Battle Angel (2019)

The film’s future dystopian setting, divided clearly into the evil haves and heroic have-nots, and a love story that bridges the gulf between two distinct groups in society is pretty much clique for these dystopian future films. The dialogue is occasionally clunky, and the romance is sincere, if not corny. It has James Cameron written all over it. As in all good dystopias, gladiatorial games are the only thing keeping the populace in line (again clique). Alita ignores the existential questions about humanity necessary for this kind of sci-fi film to have depth in favor of slick action sequences. It's a just comic book movie for the comic book generation, all sound and fury, signifying nothing. 5/10

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
Strangers on a Train (1951)

Apparently this is a classic. I barely made it to end. Boring, predictable, and shallow. I genuinely rolled my eyes a few times during it.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
YESTERDAY - An interesting premise but a wonderful movie paying homage to The Beatles, reminding us like BORAP about the power of music, why legends live on forever and how we should be forever grateful to them and ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE. 8/10

Nothing earth shattering, but a really enjoyable and pleasant movie - worth a view.

Spiritof82

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2004
S**tny, the cesspit of OZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Captain Marvel - 7/10, was actually better than what I thought it would be although still can't understand how someone with all the power in the world and able to absorb huge amounts of force and energy yet can get get beaten up so regularly in a hand to hand fight (Thor's another example).

Shame that they didn't use more of her in that steaming pile of dog s**t that was the last Avengers movie apart from bringing her in in the end looking and acting like an Ellen Degeneres clone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back