Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder

I saw this at the cinema but watched it again this morning. The end makes me blubber like a baby.

Long Shot (2019)

To make the 'opposites attract theme' even more obvious, Rogen is outfitted to look especially frumpy and he sports an ugly beard that never comes off. With his crack timing, Rogen still manages to get a few laughs, but he would have gotten more if the jokes were better. Charlize Theron though, seems to be in full glamour mode throughout the film, even when they try to make her look dowdy. This is probably for the best, because while being a fine serious actor, Theron doesn’t have a comedic bone in her body. These two polar opposites are played against each against each other over and over: Why would anybody who looks like Charlize Theron go for someone who looks like Seth Rogen? That's the gag the film revolves around. Beauty and the beast. And while there are some funny moments, sure, the film just doesn't quite reach the stratosphere of the memorable. 6/10

Game Night.

I'm not much of a fan of comedies unless they are done well but this turned out to be one of the best movies I've watched this year.

Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams play a nerdy couple, Max and Annie, who like to invite their friends over for game nights. Things get interesting when Max's more successful brother turns up and takes the games to a new level with unintended consequences. Overall it's well put together, there's several laugh out loud scenes and a bunch of fun characters.

7/10

Also just saw this, was surprisingly better than I thought. Helps that Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams are great foils for each other and suited to comedy.

Another thing I didn't pick up (not sure if you did) was that several scenes paid homage to games like Game of Life, Hot Potato, Jenga, Mousetrap, racing video games etc.

Gary was also brilliant as the creepy as f*** neighbour.

"Buy three for the price of one? How does Frito-Lays make money from this?"

Literally anything would have been better. I'll float anything later when I'm on the computer and can do spoilers again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if one of them get cancer and some illness and died prematurely? Did they have children? What if there was infertility? What if they passed through another meteor storm? What if more people woke up from the malfunctions?

It was the most uninspired '* it, that'll do' ending that anyone could have thought up.

The Lion King

It was very enjoyable but I much prefer the original. I still cried in all the right places but the humour of the hyenas was pretty much non existent and I hated
that they shoehorned an extra Beyoncé song in there.

Last edited:
Spiderman. Far From Home.
Took my son and his mate. By the numbers super hero film. Well made, pretty well acted. Not my cup of tea 6/10.

Toy Story 4.
I love the Toy Story movies and would rate the first 3 as my favourite trilogy of all time. I was worried about the legacy being damaged by this final instalment. nothing to worry about. Fantastic film that retains the charm and feel of the first three and updates them with Little Bo Peep's kick ass character. A brilliant addition to the set. 9/10

Kick Ass 2. A disappointing sequel to a genuinely original masterpiece. The premise is fine, some great scenes but it seems to be trying too hard to take the cutting edge up a notch and comes across as a bit gratuitous. 6.5/10

Booksmart. My wife won free tickets, so I went along without knowing anything about it.
Terrific coming of age movie. 2 girls who have spent the whole of their high school years determined to get top grades and qualify for a top university decide that they should try and have some fun before they go to college. The premise doesn't sound much better than Porky's for girls in the PC world, but it is so well written, acted and directed, it would be doing it a disservice.
Directed by Olivia Wilde from SNL fame, it is a brilliant film that shows how everybody judges everybody from their own perspective. Funny, smart and with a great soundtrack, I laughed out loud several times. Magnificent. 9/10

Last edited:
Spider-Man: Far from Home 6.5/10
I always take my son to the MCU movies so had to watch this one, and it was fine. I like Tom Holland as Spiderman and they did a decent job continuing his development post-snap but it felt little more than lip service for the rest of the world. A few interesting comments in the beginning about younger brothers becoming older brothers and then the world looked really really normal.

Jake Gyllenhaal was a great choice and did as much as he could with what he was given, definitely can't complain about Spider-Man's rogues gallery so far.

Overall definitely feeling the superhero fatigue, I'm enough of a Geek that I'll always watch the MCU movies but its more of a case now of I'll watch them at some point. I'm not in a rush and (credit to an amazing achievement so far) there's more and more times where I'm rolling my eye's, including the second post credits scene.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Booksmart.

Directed by Olivia Wilde from SNL fame, it is a brilliant film that shows how everybody judges everybody from their own perspective. Funny, smart and with a great soundtrack, I laughed out loud several times. Magnificent. 9/10

Agree with your review, but you're selling Olivia Wilde short if you only credit her with snl fame. I think she's only been on it once. Much more famous for movies and being Marissas lesbian love interest on O.C.

Parenthood (1989) - hadn't seen it in over 27 years and i must say it holds up really well (particularly now I am a parent). Peak Steve Martin and Mary Steenburgan, young Keanu, Robards and Joaquin Phoenix in a kid role which was pretty good as well as good turns by Rick Moranis and Dianne Wiest.

Really enjoyed it both for nostalgic purposes but also how it holds up given where you are in life (watched it as a 12 year old kid and now as an adult).

9/10

Agree with your review, but you're selling Olivia Wilde short if you only credit her with snl fame. I think she's only been on it once. Much more famous for movies and being Marissas lesbian love interest on O.C.

I bow to your superior knowledge.

Men In Black International (2019)

I've always been a fan of MiB, but this film really was a yawn fest. Hemsworth played a version of Thor Ragnorak in this film, and his flippant persona was a real detriment to the film while on the other end of the spectrum, Tessa Thompson was as stiff as a plank of wood. The biggest problem is though, this was a by the numbers MiB film, there was nothing new whatsoever, which tells me this was just a cynical cash grab using the Hemsworth/Neeson name's to carry it. But the film itself is utter crap. An example of how Hollywood always ruins a good franchise. 4/10

Watched Toy Story for the first time. Cute movie, can see why it has been so popular.

I assume you haven't watched any of the subsequent three movies, if so you are in for a treat. Especially 3. My god I was a wreck at the end of 3.

I assume you haven't watched any of the subsequent three movies, if so you are in for a treat. Especially 3. My god I was a wreck at the end of 3.
Me too. But I think part of that emotional weight was linked to growing up with those characters. That scene was freaking heavy.

Apollo 11. Doco about moon landing.

Not sure if it got a cinema or imax release here but would have been amazing on the on the big screen given some of the visuals on display.

It keeps it pretty simple for your average viewer too.

I think it mostly from Nasa footage too thats been beefed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back