Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
First Man.

I found it incredibly moving, especially the second half. It's such an incredible achievement and I found myself comparing when flying into a new country or continent that you've never seen, you're looking out the window.. how do the roads look? the houses? the grass? And to think to be the first people to land on something off-earth, well it's incredible to me and inspiring.

The first half of the film was a little slow, but it was needed for the back half.

Only thing that irked me was the 'Batbike', Christopher Nolan type sound effects in space. Ascending/descending, never-ending...

8.5/10 for me.

darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Stevenage
I assume you haven't watched any of the subsequent three movies, if so you are in for a treat. Especially 3. My god I was a wreck at the end of 3.
TS3 was amazing in my view, and the perfect ending. Four was very good, but I think they told a complete story with 1-3.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
just wasted an hour of my precious time watching HIGH NOON (1952)

rated 8/10 on imdb, but c'mon, has to be purely the old bastards getting nostalgic.

no unbiased person would rate this shithole of a movie more than 2 or 3 out of 10 surely.

the synopsis was nice, but the execution of that in terms of script and acting was woeful.

on top of that, shoddy editing and cinematography.

what an over-hyped stinker *thumbs down*

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

rated 8/10 on imdb, but c'mon, has to be purely the old bastards getting nostalgic.

no unbiased person would rate this s**thole of a movie more than 2 or 3 out of 10 surely.

the synopsis was nice, but the execution of that in terms of script and acting was woeful.

Boooourns!

This is a favourite of mine. Its simple, and a case study of an internal minimalistic performance of traditional, repressed manhood. One of the classic westerns before they became a parody of themselves.

But each to their own.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics

no unbiased person would rate this s**thole of a movie more than 2 or 3 out of 10 surely.

I loved that movie,but have not seen it for years. I may have to check it out again to see how it's aged.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Boooourns!

This is a favourite of mine. Its simple, and a case study of an internal minimalistic performance of traditional, repressed manhood. One of the classic westerns before they became a parody of themselves.

But each to their own.
the SYNOPSIS is fine...i get it...it's just a woefully made movie technically-speaking....acting bad, editing awful, script (spoken lines, plot points, etc) pretty bland. but i dont mean to tread on your toes about it.

I loved that movie,but have not seen it for years. I may have to check it out again to see how it's aged.
let me know if you find on recent viewing if you see what i see or not.
mainly the acting, editing, script.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
the SYNOPSIS is fine...i get it...it's just a woefully made movie technically-speaking....acting bad, editing awful, script (spoken lines, plot points, etc) pretty bland. but i dont mean to tread on your toes about it.

let me know if you find on recent viewing if you see what i see or not.
mainly the acting, editing, script.

I will see if I can find it.

musclehead22

Senior List
Sep 21, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
0011c.jpg

Sorcerer (1977) 9/10
Friedkin hell, what a find. How's this for a movie. 4 men from different backgrounds (including Roy Scheider) commit crimes, hide in a South American village, an oil well explodes and the 4 men are assigned to transport the only available,poorly stored and highly unstable nitroglycerin 200 miles in two trucks through the rough terrain to the oil well. Well if that doesn't get your heart racing I don't know what will.

The only flaw would be the slow start but once the backstories are told it's pretty great. How they did the all practical bridge scene without killing someone I will never know. Amazing. William Friedkin's hidden gem.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
0011c.jpg

Sorcerer (1977) 9/10
Friedkin hell, what a find. How's this for a movie. 4 men from different backgrounds (including Roy Scheider) commit crimes, hide in a South American village, an oil well explodes and the 4 men are assigned to transport the only available,poorly stored and highly unstable nitroglycerin 200 miles in two trucks through the rough terrain to the oil well. Well if that doesn't get your heart racing I don't know what will.

The only flaw would be the slow start but once the backstories are told it's pretty great. How they did the all practical bridge scene without killing someone I will never know. Amazing. William Friedkin's hidden gem.
sounds like a movie i might thoroughly enjoy. thanks for the tip, will check it out asap.

Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
because it's you.... :heart: ..... i will check this out asap too.
Think you would like it gg.
its a kind of a re-imagining of an experiment a US teacher conducted to prove that mindless facism could arise against again contrary to those who believe we are more educated now and it couldnt happen.
So they took the true story and embeliished and set it in germany to give it verismilitude.
Hope you enjoy it.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Think you would like it gg.
its a kind of a re-imagining of an experiment a US teacher who conducted the experiment to prove that mindless facism could arise against again contrary to those who believe we are more educated now and it couldnt happen.
So they took the true story and embeliished and set it in germany to give it verismilitude.
Hope you enjoy it.
fascism definitely CAN and WILL and HAS arisen constantly since it supposedly ceased to, but it hasn't ever gone away in all that time. It's gurgling like hot lava.

Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
fascism definitely CAN and WILL and HAS arisen constantly since it supposedly ceased to, but it hasn't ever gone away in all that time. It's gurgling like hot lava.
So true. Let me know what you think when you get around to seeing it.
A bit of background.

Tho I disagree somewhat with this blokes take on the protaganist. Its the idea thats interesting.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
So true. Let me know what you think when you get around to seeing it.
A bit of background.

Tho I disagree somewhat with this blokes take on the protaganist. Its the idea thats interesting.

am halfway thru it now, and love it very much. will write an imdb review later tonight after i come back from shopping and finish the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back