Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Always liked this one, just a fun 80s horror movie. Its a shame it bombed so hard on release, its gained a decent reputation but they were never going to be able to follow up on the sequel hinted at at the end.
Yeah when I was younger seeing that weird priest guy with bits of the blob i thought "Oooh Blobby 2"

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Mist

Lord of the Flies meets Cabin in the Woods, without the conch or the class. Poor acting. God awful SFX. Underwhelming character development. Tragic ending would have been great if it weren't for the fact it was so out of character for the main protagonist.

3/10

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Charlie Says (2018)

The tragic tale of an all-American girl who was transformed into a cold-blooded killer in the summer of 1969 by Charles Manson. As a portrait of bogus revolutionary rhetoric used to undermine and control women, this movie is thoughtful and provocative. The movies perspectives on guilt and victimhood offer a new angle on a well known and notorious case. If nothing else, Charlie Says succeeds in demystifying Manson somewhat. The man was nothing more than a drugged-out, control freak racist who wrote very forgettable songs that only a brainwashed cult member would enjoy. But what Manson does succeed in doing is brainwashing these women (and a few men) so completely that one feels sorry for them in the end, they really had no self will. They committed the crimes Manson was too cowardly to do himself, at Manson's say so, to start a bogus racial war. These woman were murdered by Manson too, only not with a knife. 7/10

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The Mist

Lord of the Flies meets Cabin in the Woods, without the conch or the class. Poor acting. God awful SFX. Underwhelming character development. Tragic ending would have been great if it weren't for the fact it was so out of character for the main protagonist.

3/10

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Goddam. A whole thread for that trash. No wonder his account was cancelled.

Sketi

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2011
depreston
AFL Club
Sydney
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Big fan of the book and David Fincher so was always going to see this eventually. I thought Fincher did a pretty good job, obviously brushed over some things but it was quite true to the story and the imagery was much like how I imagined it. Preferred the casting to the Swedish version, Rooney Mara nails it as Lisbeth Salander and is hot af to boot. Doesn't quite reach the (extremely) lofty heights of some of the director's more famous work, but was solidly entertained for all 2 hours and 40 minutes. 7.5/10

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Wild Rose (2018)

A troubled young Glaswegian woman dreams of becoming a Nashville country star. Jessie Buckley impresses in the story of a woman who wants and needs so much more than what her dreary Glasgow life is. A seemingly well-worn narrative becomes a more interesting look at the responsibilities and rights of being a mother with a dream. Dame Julie Walters is brilliant as the put upon grandmother trying to encourage her wayward daughter to settle and concentrate on her kids. The setting of the movie just really feeds into the hopelessness the characters feel. Landing the perfect ending is the challenge for these kind of movies. Wild Rose holds its horses, and lets Rose-Lynn soar only when she’s worked out who she is and what she really wants. 8/10

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
Parasite - Bong Joon-ho's latest. A poor Korean family slowly infiltrates itself into a rich family - the son becomes a tutor, the father the driver etc - only for that to unravel so goddamn brilliantly. This has got everything and then some. It's funny, it terrifying, it's tension laced throughout, and another example of a string of films of late that tackle class so expertly. Favourite of the year. 9.5/10

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I'm currently half way thru the movie MELANCHOLIA by Lars Von Trier.

Not sure if I've ever watched a film by him before, the name sounds familiar, yet also like I've never heard that name before.

It's a very engaging movie so far, a little bizarre, got a Tree of Life feel to it. (It would be hilarious if Lars also made that film, because I have seen that one).

When I'm finished watching it will post again.

I can give you back an hour of your life.

Nothing happens then the planet smashes into the earth and everyone dies.

:(/10

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Brightburn (2019)

What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister? This is a film that’s good enough that you want it to be better, and maybe an example of less not proving to be more (doesn't happen often in films). But Brightburn lacks the visual stylization, wit or satire to elevate it from the realm of a crudely effective B-movie. Throwing in some gore doesn’t change the plodding inevitability with which Brandon goes super-evil. This movie could've been so much better, but as it is, it's entertaining enough. This'll probably be a cult classic one day. 6/10

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
22 July (2018)

Available to watch on Netflix.

Based on the 2011 Norway attacks. I thought it was well done. I remember hearing about the attacks at the time but this film does a good job humanizing the moment and providing insight into the sick mind of a mass murderer. Of course it's harrowing to watch a lot of it knowing it really happened though. 4 stars.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Brightburn (2019)

What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister? This is a film that’s good enough that you want it to be better, and maybe an example of less not proving to be more (doesn't happen often in films). But Brightburn lacks the visual stylization, wit or satire to elevate it from the realm of a crudely effective B-movie. Throwing in some gore doesn’t change the plodding inevitability with which Brandon goes super-evil. This movie could've been so much better, but as it is, it's entertaining enough. This'll probably be a cult classic one day. 6/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back