Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Pain and Gain

220px-Pain_%26_Gain_film_poster.jpg

(not a great cover, doesn't represent the colourfulness and humour of the film)

Little bit of a different flick from Michael Bay. I didn't know it was him (but suspected due to a few familiar camera angles) until the credits rolled. Something of a black comedy crime film loosely inspired by true events. Bumbling body builders attempt to extort a wealthy client and get ahead of themselves. Marky Mark does well as usual with his mix of comic timing and ego driven drama, the guy from the MCU does ok even if he really doesn't look the part. It's great to see The Rock outside of his usual family friendly PG fare and he's good too. Tony Shalhoub as the primary victim and Ed Harris as his pirvate eye round out the main players.

I think what got me the most was the tone. There's a bright colourful style about the movie that makes it easy to watch, with humourous captions throughout. It definitely starts in a more comedic way, but about halfway through it shifts and becomes more black. There's no more redeeming charismatic goofiness to the characters, they all become awful. You may still laugh at their bumbling ways but as a whole everything become heavier and more confronting. I think that is what stuck with me the most and why the fillum left a lasting impression. It becomes difficult to watch. Reading about the real life case, the victim (Kershaw as named in the movie) was arrested directly following testifying at the court case for an unrelated fraud matter. I think this should have been included in the film since the second half did need a little bit more levity and as it is the ending it quite sudden and a little flat. Like my writing.

7/10

Last edited:

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
A Dog's Journey

Blubbered like a baby.

Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - great movie.I left the theatre glad that Tarantino has refused to grow up or develop some sort of maturity.Seriously joyous creative energy fun.Had a few spots that might seem a bit flat to some People and some long complex scenes that dont seem to have much connection with the storyline.I thought Di Caprio carried those scenes and he is very good in this movie.I liked everything about it myself.Lots of west coast nostalgia trip,very relatable if you live in a west coast city with little to no connection to anywhere else.Lots of driving around in awesome cars with music just a little bit to Loud ! The soundtrack is all pre 1970 am radio playlist. 8.5 /10

Last edited:
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - great movie.I left the theatre glad that Tarantno has refused to grow into some sort of serious maturity.Seriously joyous creative energy fun.Had a few spots that might seem a bit flat to some People and some long complex scenes that dont seem to have much connection with the storyline.I thought Di Caprio carried those scenes and he is very good in this movie.I liked everything about it myself.Lots of west coast nostalgia trip,very relatable if you live in a west coast city with little to no connection to anywhere else.Lots of driving around in awesome cars with music just a little bit to Loud ! The soundtrack is all pre 1970 am radio playlist. 8.5 /10
Best performance of Leo's career IMO. His acting was the best thing about the movie for me...

...maybe apart from Brad Pitt tripping balls :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Suburbicon

Pretty meh overall.
Dont know how that was classified as a black comedy. That movie was an absolute mess

4/10

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
I just watched the Planet of the Apes Trilogy.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I enjoyed the premise of how the apes came to prominence. Well made film. The CGI is very well done. 8/10.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Bit of a let down. The power struggle between the apes was well written. I found the human characters were dull. 7.5/10.

War for the Planet of the Apes. The best of the 3. Woody Harrelson with a homage to Brando's brilliant Apocalypse Now performance was very good. There was more depth to this one with the stakes getting higher. As a fan from the 70s, I was a bit nerdy excited to hear that Caesar's son was called Cornelius who was the main character in the original movies and tv show. I imagine there will be a fourth instalment. 8.5/10

This Beautiful Fantastic - quirky, a British version of Amelie.

A feel good movie, full of eccentric characters & their evolving relationships.

Does have a warmth & charm. 7/10

Late Night.

Saw it completely by default, as was going to see Toy Story but was put off by the screaming kids running around the foyer. LN was starting at the same time... was pleasantly surprised 6/10.

OUATIH next week in premium,then it'll be It the week after in gc. Cant wait

A Star is Born.

Loved it and finally made time to watch it last night. Lady Gaga is a screen gem and what a performance which had me totally immersed in her from start to finish and I hope she gets more movie roles. Bradley Cooper what can you say and he is fantastic as always.

Highly recommended to anyone who has not seen it but be prepared for the ending which is highly emotional and tugs at the heart strings massively and it had me chocked up for a bit when it ended. :(

Music is fantastic and really I could not fault anything at all.

10/10.

A Star is Born.

Loved it and finally made time to watch it last night. Lady Gaga is a screen gem and what a performance which had me totally immersed in her from start to finish and I hope she gets more movie roles. Bradley Cooper what can you say and he is fantastic as always.

Highly recommended to anyone who has not seen it but be prepared for the ending which is highly emotional and tugs at the heart strings massively and it had me chocked up for a bit when it ended. :(

Music is fantastic and really I could not fault anything at all.

10/10.

Agree. I loved it. Watched it Tuesday night. Absolutely fantastic. That ending was very emotional. My sister warned me about the ending and said you'll get angry. She was right. That ending got me sad, angry, choked up but also made me smile and happy at the song at the end given that she finished it. Was a rollercoaster of emotions, that's for sure. 😊

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The 100 Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared. (2013)

A Swedish dark comedy about a man who goes on a crazy unplanned adventure on his 100th birthday - intercut with flashbacks that tell the story of his amazing life. His love of explosions serendipitously propels him on a life journey where he plays a part in some of the major events of the 20th century.

It's a lot of fun. You might like it if you liked Forest Gump or Being There.

7/10.

Chism I was being serious. Pretty big spoiler for those that haven't seen it.
What ? Saying the ending is sad??

That is written everywhere on the film. It is not a spoiler unless you mention what happened to certain people IMO.

Saying a movie has a sad ending is not a spoiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back