Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hans Zimmer has me interested. I rewatch the Amazing Spider-Man movies for his score in them. Brilliant. Strange enough I don't rate most of his more renowned works (Dark Knight, Inception, etc).

I remember driving down the highway one night hitting the scan button on my radio when some amazing classical music came up. I thought it was from the Holst Planet suite but it was part of the Gladiator soundtrack by Zimmer.

'Hans Zimmer Live' is doing 3 dates in Australia in October. I don't know how much involvement Zimmer has, if any. I'm going to skip it as it seems they will be focusing on the lightweight stuff like Blue Planet, Spiderman, Pirates of The Caribbean, and Lion King.

Last edited:
I remember driving down the highway one night hitting the scan button on my radio when some amazing classical music came up. I thought it was from the Holst Planet suite but it was part of the Gladiator soundtrack by Zimmer. The John Williams soundtrack for Star Wars also owes a big debt to the Holst chords and ostinato style.

'Hans Zimmer Live' is doing 3 dates in Australia in October. I don't know how much involvement Zimmer has, if any. I'm going to skip it as it seems they will be focusing on the lightweight stuff like Blue Planet, Spiderman, Pirates of The Caribbean, and Lion King.

* yeah, Spiderman and Lion King.

From the promotional material I have seen his Christopher Nolan scores are advertised the heaviest.

MV5BNDJhMGQyMjAtMzlkZC00ZmU0LWFhNjYtNDY0NWU4YzkxODdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,708,1000_AL_.jpg

Body Melt (1993)
Ripper Ozploitation/schlock horror featuring d-grade Australian "celebrities" Lisa McCuane and one of the Daddos. Residents of an outer suburb of Geelong are pumped full an experimental drug that turns them into balls of snot. Killer special effects, tasteless jokes, racist stereotypes, cannibal rednecks in footy jumpers killing kangaroos and getting high on the adrenal glands. Aussie birds with their jugs out AND full frontal male nudity. Naive early 90's Australian techno soundtrack. Pointless gore. Heaps of foul language. Harold from Neighbours (playing a psychopath). Think early Peter Jackson meets Fat Pizza, (yep, it's that good) 10/10
Where do you manage to see these films Toump Ass? A lot of them sound like movies i would enjoy buy not on netflix etc as a lot of them seem pretty obscure
Hey mate, if you (or anyone else) is still keen on checking this out, it's streaming on SBS on Demand for some Ozploitation thing going on at the the moment :)

I finally got around to watching Crazy Rich Asians the other night after hearing so much praise for it.

Jesus it's boring, and not particularly funny. It's basically 2 hours (way too long - it really didn't need to go for more than 90 minutes) of wealth pr0n. I honestly can't remember a single joke in that movie that made me laugh. It's great that the film can hopefully be a gateway for more Asian representation in Hollywood, but when it all comes down to it, it's basically just Monster-In-Law but set in Singapore. Yeah we get it, wealthy Asian parents want their kids to marry other wealthy Asians, and the peasant American outsider has to win over the traditionalist mother by proving her intellectual capability. It's been done.

Lords of Dogtown. Probably the 15th time I've seen it but i love it.
Not exactly an accurate movie as they got a lot of the events in the movie wrong but that's okay. It's still a great movie and Heath Ledger played Skip Engblom very well.

I should check that out, I've never seen it but I love the doco Dogtown and Z-Boys that came out a few years before it.

Alita: Battle Angel and its pretty decent. Still a CGI overload and the storyline could have been pulled from any second computer game from the last 20 years. Still, compared to the superhero movies it feels like it has at least a little originality. The murderball part does feel fairly wedged in and imo would have worked better more in the background for this movie and then make it a focus in a sequel but to be fair I don't know if that would be too far removed from the source material.

Last edited:
Lords of Dogtown. Probably the 15th time I've seen it but i love it.
Not exactly an accurate movie as they got a lot of the events in the movie wrong but that's okay. It's still a great movie and Heath Ledger played Skip Engblom very well.
I should check that out, I've never seen it but I love the doco Dogtown and Z-Boys that came out a few years before it.
The documentary is fantastic. After watching that, Lords Of Dogtown was really underwhelming. Just felt completely unnecessary and the real life characters were way more interesting than their recreations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IT chapter 2. Definitely weaker than the first one but certainly didn’t drop off a cliff like the mini series in the 90’s. The writing wasn’t particularly strong but most of the leads did an ok job. Felt the “Mike” character was horribly miscast whilst the others were reasonably on. Watchable but not a wow flick. 5.5/10

An American Crime.

* me. So scary that such people exist, and are probably more common than we think.

It (2017)

A lot of hype around the sequel coming out so I thought I better do myself a favour and watch chapter 1 for the first time. Good movie - although I reckon it gets less scary as it goes on. First scene is great. Solid characters. It's behind Insidious and Sinister for the scare factor IMO but will definitely see go and watch part 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back