Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah disagreed man sorry. I find a lot of people are either too unintelligent or spend too much time on their phones while watching to understand his movies (the criticism of OUATIH - what's the plot?), and a lot of people like to hate on something popular just to be contrary.

He is incredibly heavily influenced by spaghetti westerns, go and watch some of them and you'll see a lot of unrealistic stuff too which is what he bases a lot off.
So im either unintelligent or phone-addicted? maybe both? maybe neither?

hes all about style over substance. you say as much in your closing paragraph.

ive seen all the spag wests you can think of. ive acrually watched millions of movies you know ;)

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So im either unintelligent or phone-addicted? maybe both? maybe neither?

hes all about style over substance. you say as much in your closing paragraph.

ive seen all the spag wests you can think of. ive acrually watched millions of movies you know ;)

Haha nah I didn't mean you with that sentence, I know you're fairly intelligent.

For me all his movies have a lot of substance, so I don't really get what you're saying but if that's how you feel then good for you.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
The Furies

Aussie flick about a group of women being hunted by a group of masked men.

I liked it.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I think Tarantino is overrated too by the way.

Could be more due to his reputation of the nature of his films than his output.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Tarantino is a massive film fan geek.
His strengths are paying homage to movie making across the ages.
And he does pop culture speak and dialogue like no other.
Great director? Debatable.
The man can keep a even modern audience’s attention for fifteen minutes on dialogue and camera use alone. I think to question his directorial skills is daft.

And to be fair you do mention his strength in dialogue but it only works because of the tension he creates and directs around it.

Go back and watch the bar or opening scenes in Basterds and tell me he can’t direct.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Tarantino is apparently a fan of exploitation cinema including Australian, but his films are nowhere as action packed or T&A filled as them.

Exceptions to me are Django and Kill Bills. They're very good to me

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Tarantino is apparently a fan of exploitation cinema including Australian, but his films are nowhere as action packed or T&A filled as them.

Never got into Kill Bill but Django was awesome my favourite Tarantino film

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just Mercy

Very powerful film. Loved the imagery, from the trees, to the tourist attractions, to the cleverly placed confederate flags. Solid acting from Foxx in particular. Quality editing during the execution scene.
Gives an insight in to how Trump can end up as president.

8/10

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Check out the documentary Not Quite Hollywood. Its about Cinema in Australia in the 70s and 80s and Tarantino is quoted a lot. Its one of my fave docos ever.

Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The man can keep a even modern audience’s attention for fifteen minutes on dialogue and camera use alone. I think to question his directorial skills is daft.

And to be fair you do mention his strength in dialogue but it only works because of the tension he creates and directs around it.

Go back and watch the bar or opening scenes in Basterds and tell me he can’t direct.
Just differing subjective opinions.
And thats fine.
I just find him "light on" as a director.
But I do enjoy some of his films. But they will never stand out as memorable or particularly moved me in any way.
Hated Kills Bills.
Reservoir Dogs was the closest to his best directed movie IMO.
Jackie Brown was a good fun filled romp. Pulp for its sparkling dialogue.
Others leave me kinda nonplussed.

Last edited:
1917 - enjoyed it. Scenery/ sets were fantastic but I didn’t think it was as great as being sold. I’d have a few war movies above it such as the following:

Apocalypse Now
Thin Red Line
Gallipoli
Saving Ryan
Dunkirk

7.5/10

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just differing subjective opinions.
And thats fine.
I just find him "light on" as a director.
But I do enjoy some of his films. But they will never stand out as memorable or particularly moved me in any way.
Hated Kills Bills.
Reservoir Dogs was the closest to his best directed movie IMO.
Jackie Brown was a good fun filled romp. Pulp for its sparkling dialogue.
Others leave me kinda nonplussed.
thats exactly it.
theyre all entertaining, some of them less so.
but theyre more iconic of a scene in them...rather than a movie that is dear.
theres like nothing personal in them, that stay with you, or that affect you.
he can direct, he can write....its just pulp. more focused on dazzle, cool, swank.
its like he has all these cool ideas and he pieces them together, rather than having a story he wants to tell that goes its own way.
basically, hes just too self-conscious.
disnt say tarantino was s**t, just overrated....not as good as fans make them out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back