Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Das Boot (1981) Still holding up as an amazing war movie that really shows how the physical strains were sometimes the least of a submariners problems. I watched the three and a quarter hour Director's Cut and it had no trouble holding my attention. It was dubbed where I'd usually prefer subtitled but still glad I finally got around to watching this one.

1917 and Falling Down rule ok!

I haven't seen 1917 but Falling Down is a great film.

Robert Duvall as the old close to retirement cop in that classic Western style showdown on the jetty with D-Fens Michael Douglas.

Jack Nicholson also played the old close to retirement cop in The Pledge, one of his last roles and he got nominated for a best Actor Oscar if I recall.

Das Boot (1981) Still holding up as an amazing war movie that really shows how the physical strains were sometimes the least of a submariners problems. I watched the three and a quarter hour Director's Cut and it had no trouble holding my attention. It was dubbed where I'd usually prefer subtitled but still glad I finally got around to watching this one.

It's no Hunt for Red October though, once you get past the fact that Sean Connery isn't even attempting a Russian accent it's a great submarine film.

It's no Hunt for Red October though, once you get past the fact that Sean Connery isn't even attempting a Russian accent it's a great submarine film.

Yeah you kind of have to give Sean Connery a pass with accents, I joked in the 'worst sequels' thread that in Highlander Connery plays an Immortal who was born and raised in Egypt and then lived so long in Spain that he now speaks with a heavy Scottish accent.

HARKER

I love you like a brother, but.... I'm cold on this one. I would rate it like 3/10.

Aster is a very stylish director, great storyboarding and shot compositions etc. The writing was excellent.

But I've seen tons of these "crazy euro pagan" type movies so nothing disturbed or unsettled me.

Look, when I was a kid, I saw one and it freaked me out -- no wonder I'm always cautious of Europeans in real life, with all their history of paganism and barbarism.

Anyway, an ok movie, dragged on way too long, tho. Couldve been made into a shorter 80 min version with all the same affect and plot points.

The audience KNOWS what's going on, what's gonna happen, very early on -- just like in Heriditary -- (another Aster movie). So it dragged on given that. Totally lacked twists and turns and real terror. Even something like GET OUT did the same thing better, with twists and terror. The Wicker Man remake far more terrifying. And heaps of other 60s/70s Euro Pagan type films precede it all.

Aster likes these types of tales, and there are lots of others these days like The Witch etc. None of them have really stood out for me. If anything Shyamalans THE VILLAGE is the best I've seen given the twist.

I so knew the plot points of this movie all the way back to when Pele was creepy sensual to Dani on the sofa before they left for Sweden. I totally figured out Mark was a douche who'd offend them and get killed, and that Josh would like discover something secret and they'd kill him too. All leading to Pele taking Dani as his wife and Christian getting burned like The Wicker Man.

Nothing original here. I was HOPING that we'd be thinking it would go as expected only for Dani and Christian to turn the tables on them or something like that. A little spin on it.
So I loved midsommar but obviously you’re entitled to your opinion but...

The wicker man remake is far more terrifying? Are you referring to the Nic Cage one? And are you doing this as a measure on how bad you thought midsommar was? Or do you think the Nic Cage wicker man was good/scary?

Oh dear, it means STOP WATCHING IT IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT FFS. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sooking? Haha on the contrary I am laughing my arse off at a fool who repeatedly watches a movie that offends him so much. 😂
Glutton for self harm or what? 🤣
Have you even followed the thread, halfwit? People give their opinions on movies. Presumably AFTER they’ve seen them. Some are positive and some are negative. Perhaps you’re the one who should stop following if you’re going to get so offended about it.

Dry your eyes princess.

Last edited:
So I loved midsommar but obviously you’re entitled to your opinion but...

The wicker man remake is far more terrifying? Are you referring to the Nic Cage one? And are you doing this as a measure on how bad you thought midsommar was? Or do you think the Nic Cage wicker man was good/scary?
Cages WM wasnt scary, but had terror in it. Hes god nothing but good intentions, good person, and he ends up roasted horribly. It was just set up well where anyone going in blond would not expect this to happen. Whereas Midsommar (as Aster does) telegraphs everything. Plus all the characters arent pushed as saintly types. And Midosmmar really drags out everything that it misses its marks and loses pacing/suspense.

They spent 40 mins! setting up Dani and Christians relationship for instance. Great writing/acting in that, but uncesseary. Likewise most of the scenes at the commune. Eg, the whole may queen ceremony. And other daily happenings. Overly long, sucks the tension/pacing away. Dont say its a slow burner...it didnt NEED to be, or had characters slowly burning toward a key character development. I could do a fan edit of that movie in 80 mins and make it more shocking/terrifying. Dani-Christian only need one 5 min scene to establish relationship, and another 5 min scene to establish the american guy friends. Then off to Sweden. Make it more innocent and pleasurable. So that when they arrive in Sweden the unfolding rites quickly turn it into a terrifying location for them -- thus more terrifying for the audience. And you dont need so much time spent on the hundrum festivities and other meh scenes.

Cages WM wasnt scary, but had terror in it. Hes god nothing but good intentions, good person, and he ends up roasted horribly. It was just set up well where anyone going in blond would not expect this to happen. Whereas Midsommar (as Aster does) telegraphs everything. Plus all the characters arent pushed as saintly types. And Midosmmar really drags out everything that it misses its marks and loses pacing/suspense.

They spent 40 mins! setting up Dani and Christians relationship for instance. Great writing/acting in that, but uncesseary. Likewise most of the scenes at the commune. Eg, the whole may queen ceremony. And other daily happenings. Overly long, sucks the tension/pacing away. Dont say its a slow burner...it didnt NEED to be, or had characters slowly burning toward a key character development. I could do a fan edit of that movie in 80 mins and make it more shocking/terrifying. Dani-Christian only need one 5 min scene to establish relationship, and another 5 min scene to establish the american guy friends. Then off to Sweden. Make it more innocent and pleasurable. So that when they arrive in Sweden the unfolding rites quickly turn it into a terrifying location for them -- thus more terrifying for the audience. And you dont need so much time spent on the hundrum festivities and other meh scenes.

Yehi don’t agree with your take but that’s fine, I’m more trying to understand if you’re saying you think the wicker man is good or if you’re using the wicker man to demonstrate how bad you think Midsommar is?

chilling/suspenseful = when things go dark, about halfway thru the 80 mins every moment after is creepy, chilling, they suddenly realize theyve really stepped into something bad and try to get out, or talk their way out. Terror-type movies need to be more aware of pacing and the building of tension like a crescendo. Midsommar just fills the movie with fluff and humdrum too much that it loses the terror its trying to build.

So midsommar dir cut. Is a 3/10 but is not a bad movie... little odd but okay. Then wicker man, also a 3/10 so not a bad movie (unless I’ve misunderstood that) but also does the things you didn’t like about midsommar better? I don’t like to nitpick on ratings systems cause mine makes no sense but I can’t really follow how that works

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So midsommar dir cut. Is a 3/10 but is not a bad movie... little odd but okay. Then wicker man, also a 3/10 so not a bad movie (unless I’ve misunderstood that) but also does the things you didn’t like about midsommar better? I don’t like to nitpick on ratings systems cause mine makes no sense but I can’t really follow how that works
my ratings system is based on ten checkpoints.... acting, writing, cinematography, editing, fx, music, story/synopsis, etc. and i give a yes/no to each one.

midsonmar 3 for acting, writing, cinematog.

1917 - what a great movie, really good insight into the war/trenches etc, going into the german trenches was nerve wracking. Running for his life through the town at night was crazy good. I really liked how long some of the one-shot scenes were through the trenches. Thought 85% of the film was awesome but the ending was a little meh.

It's hard to tell if Falling Down is a bit of a pisstake at times, it's style of story telling is definitely dated, but that doesn't mean that concept of a white dude in suburbia snapping should be considered a dated concept, an out of touch plot for a film.

Have you even followed the thread, halfwit? People give their opinions on movies. Presumably AFTER they’ve seen them. Some are positive and some are negative. Perhaps you’re the one who should stop following if you’re going to get so offended about it.

Dry your eyes princess.
Hang on mate, you insinuated that you hated it but then said it has aged terribly.

This means you have watched a movie that you dislike more than once. Yes?

You’re allowed to not like it bud, just don’t try to pull the s**t that you disliked it so much initially that you had to rewatch just to confirm yourself. 😂😂😂

There haven’t been too many movies about lots of things. Falling Down was superficial garbage. Is he the hero? Is he the villain? It’s a movie that wants to have its cake and eat it too. It really has nothing to say.

It's hard to tell if Falling Down is a bit of a pisstake at times, it's style of story telling is definitely dated, but that doesn't mean that concept of a white dude in suburbia snapping should be considered a dated concept, an out of touch plot for a film.

Ive always considered it a social commentary demonstrating the hypocrisy of white privilege that exists in society and the blindness and inability to adapt of those who benefit the most from it.

Hang on mate, you insinuated that you hated it but then said it has aged terribly.

This means you have watched a movie that you dislike more than once. Yes?

You’re allowed to not like it bud, just don’t try to pull the s**t that you disliked it so much initially that you had to rewatch just to confirm yourself. 😂😂😂

I watched it 25 or so years back when I was very young. Thought it was average. Saw a few people here really liked it, thought I’d give it another go. Don’t think theres anything particularly unusual in this. Thought it was terrible.

But hey, the waste of time was more than worth it to watch all your toys come out of the cot like this. I haven’t seen this big a dummy spit since McEntoe hung up the racket.

Perhaps we can find you a safe space next time time someone says something nasty about a film you love, sweetie.

I watched it 25 or so years back when I was very young. Thought it was average. Saw a few people here really liked it, thought I’d give it another go. Don’t think theres anything particularly unusual in this. Thought it was terrible.

But hey, the waste of time was more than worth it to watch all your toys come out of the cot like this. I haven’t seen this big a dummy spit since McEntoe hung up the racket.

Perhaps we can find you a safe space next time time someone says something nasty about a film you love, sweetie.
Yeah keep talking, mate, people just love negative folk like you. I find your lies amusing tho. 😏

Sorry to put your nose out of joint over it tho. 😂

Yeah keep talking, mate, people just love negative folk like you. I find your lies amusing tho. 😏

Sorry to put your nose out of joint over it tho. 😂
Nose out of joint? On the contrary, watching you melt down, dribble and then compulsively laugh at yourself in emojis has been mildly entertaining.

Keep the laughs coming, bozo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back