Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to think I'm not but maybe your right. Went into the A Start is Born with the wrong mindset given that I was keen on some escapism after a tiring week (not alone there). Wasn't invested in the heavy themes but Sheherazade is just as heavy and I thought that was profound and was engaged throughout.

I also watched a Star in Born with the wrong mindset, it was my wife's choice one Sunday night. While I expected/hoped to be dozing off after 10 minutes, for a 5th remake of a movie/story I thought they done a great job.
Given the crossovers, Gaga was surprisingly very good in her first real lead film role and Bradley Cooper, assuming that was his actual voice, is quite solid behind the microphone. Also hard to believe this was Coopers directing debut and despite not being a fan of romantic drama's, there was something special about this movie...

Last edited:

I also watched a Star in Born with wrong mindset, it was my wife's choice one Sunday night. While I expected/hoped to be dozing off after 10 minutes, for a 5th remake of a movie/story I thought they done a great job.
Given the crossovers, Gaga was surprisingly very good in her first real lead film role and Bradley Cooper, assuming that was his actual voice, is quite solid behind the microphone. Also hard to believe this was Coopers directing debut and despite not being a fan of romantic drama's, there was something special about this movie...

The sequence from when they meet in the bar through to Shallow onstage is incredibly good filmmaking, just well paced, wonderfully written and acted. You get completely lost in it.

Psycho II. Very good sequel and Norman Bates must be the most underrated screen killer in history. Forget Jason Voorhes, Michael Myers and Freddy Krueger, this is one very ****ed up guy. 7/10

King arhtur - what an absolute stinking pile of poo, guy ritchie alone ruins this film, barely watchable, an incomprehensible mess of a movie that should have been pretty fun to watch, such a disappointment

I was so close to putting this on last night but went with something else. Thanks for the review. I'll stay away I think.

I See You.

From the first half hour I thought it was going to be just another run-of-the-mill creepy, jump scare, horror thriller but it turned out to be better and more complex than that. I won't give anything away. Stick with it to the end and you will be rewarded.

I was slightly distracted by Helen Hunt's plastic face. I was half expecting that the plot twist was that it was Tom Cruise under there.

7/10.

I started watching Moonlight before bed last night and it was hitting me in the feels a little too much. Had to turn it off and switch off. Will definitely finish it tonight.

King arhtur - what an absolute stinking pile of poo, guy ritchie alone ruins this film, barely watchable, an incomprehensible mess of a movie that should have been pretty fun to watch, such a disappointment
King Arthur was very average, toss up which movie was worst King Arthur or the latest Robin Hood offering.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword was to be the start of a cinematic universe but the crap box office ended it at 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rambo (08) - this came and went without much fanfare. I think an argument could be made for it being the best one. Itā€™s easily the most violent and Sly is actually pretty good in this, heā€™s just a shell of a human but a complete killing machine. It would be a stretch to say itā€™s got any nuance etc but the extreme violence and way Stallone plays Rambo gives it something more than just mindless action.

Rambo (08) - this came and went without much fanfare. I think an argument could be made for it being the best one. Itā€™s easily the most violent and Sly is actually pretty good in this, heā€™s just a shell of a human but a complete killing machine. It would be a stretch to say itā€™s got any nuance etc but the extreme violence and way Stallone plays Rambo gives it something more than just mindless action.

It's one of the better adult action flicks of the 21st century IMO. It's violence is relentless. Haven't seen many movies where a toddler gets a bayonet. It pulls no punches getting the audience outraged over the baddies then pulls no punches in the pay in the payoff, and everything that happens in between is perfectly adequate, especially the angry British mercenary lol.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

It's one of the better adult action flicks of the 21st century IMO. It's violence is relentless. Haven't seen many movies where a toddler gets a bayonet. It pulls no punches getting the audience outraged over the baddies then pulls no punches in the pay in the payoff, and everything that happens in between is perfectly adequate, especially the angry British mercenary lol.

I think the support cast isnā€™t great. The mercenaries are caricatures (which is fine) the bad guys are too (which is also fine) but the missionaries are awfully bad and wooden.

I think the support cast isnā€™t great. The mercenaries are caricatures (which is fine) the bad guys are too (which is also fine) but the missionaries are awfully bad and wooden.
The important thing about the missionaries is that even they are beating people to death with their bare hands by the end.

You're right though, when it comes to mindless action it's a little deeper than John Wick.

Heā€™d had a few before that. Star Trek and A Perfect Getaway which weā€™re both pretty big. Thor might have even been released before it but I honestly canā€™t recall.
Cabin in the Woods was filmed first but the studio went under so it was another few years before it eventually hit the cinema with a new studio.

So to answer your question, both yes and no in a way.

The Limits of Control (2009)

Jim Jarmusch wrote and directed this mysterious story of a guy travelling around Europe, wearing fine suits, meeting strange people, exchanging matchboxes containing cryptic messages, he does a bit of Tai Chi, drinks espressos in pairs.

It's quite minimalist in that a lot of the time nothing much happens - but there's always something happening. In that respect it's probably not for everyone or you might have to be in the right mood. The locations and cinematography are gorgeous. I just chilled for a couple of hours and enjoyed the experience. I'll watch it again sometime to pick up the deeper meanings.

7/10

Some more interesting trivia for Cabin in the Woods.

The stoner character's actor was actually more buff than the two other characters who were both more jock types, so he was dressed in baggy clothes that he never removed (he was the only one to not go swimming) so he didn't break all the characters.

Rocket Man. A very strange film.

I've been a fan of Elton John since the 70s when I was a kid. Was the first concert I ever attended in 1980 and I rate his first 10/12 years as magnificent.

This film seems to be totally about his excessive lifestyle. I didn't totally mind the style with each song being like a cabaret type production but I think the film suffered as a result. Early Elton John was a brilliant singer and Taron Egerton certainly isn't.

6.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back