Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Line of Duty on Netflix. By any objective measure, it’s a pretty average film: thinly drawn characters, ropey acting from all but the two bigger stars, some average dialogue, increasingly absurd action. But as a B-grade action flick, it’s actually pretty damn good. Very tense and the fight scenes generally rough and tough. The first 20 minutes is essentially an extended chase and fight, and it goes alright. And at moments, like when the bad guys reveal their motivation, it’s almost very good. All builds to a silly but satisfying ending.

Regular rating of 6/10, but B-grade rating of 8.

Oh man how could you miss Rock of Ages??
He is truly exceptional in that film. 👍👍

Got around to watching it tonight. The worst Cruise movie I have seen. It's like an episode of Glee but directed by a pervy bloke who gets all the female characters to take their clothes off. Russell Brand completely changes his accent mid movie as though he knows how stupid the movie is but doesn't care. Cruise does his best but is sorely miscast.

3/10

Got around to watching it tonight. The worst Cruise movie I have seen. It's like an episode of Glee but directed by a pervy bloke who gets all the female characters to take their clothes off. Russell Brand completely changes his accent mid movie as though he knows how stupid the movie is but doesn't care. Cruise does his best but is sorely miscast.

3/10
I think you watched it sober. :(

I suppose you're right if you're talking about commercial success.

A few pages back people were talking about him not having any "bad" films.

That is completely subjective, and for me personally I don't rate many of his films.

There are a few that I enjoyed (Rain Man, for example) but for the most part I don't get much out of his films.
It is subjective but taking into account commerciality, critic reviews and general consensus I think the above three (and probably vanilla sky, noting I quite like vanilla sky) are his “misses”.

Do you not like him? Or his movies? Plenty of actors I don’t particularly like but I can still appreciate good films they’ve made.

It is subjective but taking into account commerciality, critic reviews and general consensus I think the above three (and probably vanilla sky, noting I quite like vanilla sky) are his “misses”.

Do you not like him? Or his movies? Plenty of actors I don’t particularly like but I can still appreciate good films they’ve made.
I can't stand Tom Cruise off the screen, but most of his movies I do enjoy, always liked him in the Mission Impossible movies

I can't stand Tom Cruise off the screen, but most of his movies I do enjoy, always liked him in the Mission Impossible movies
I agree with this, though I probably blame the celebrity culture permeated through the tabloid media for this more than the person himself. He does seem like a w***er off screen but am probably more aggrieved that its a story every day created. I think he is just an ok actor but truly the epitome of a movie star rather than a high quality actor - almost like a safe pair of hands for hollywood blockbuster productions.

He's one of the actors that I can't see past him as person when I watch his movies. It makes it hard to enjoy the film because I can't see the character he's playing at all. This hasn't always been the case, as I can remember liking quite a few of his movies when I was younger, but maybe it's the media saturation he's had over the last couple of decades that made him appear larger than life (and certainly larger than his films, for me).

And I really hated Vanilla Sky (regardless of my opinion on Tom Cruise).

I like his Vanilla Sky a fair bit

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Likewise, absolutely.

There are plenty of actors that I don't have high opinions of, but whom I still enjoy watching on film - Casey Affleck, Timothée Chalamet, Gary Oldman, Christian Bale, I can even enjoy Kevin Spacey to an extent.

It's not that with Cruise, though. I definitely think he seems like a knob, but that's not the issue - I just find his movies a bit "meh".

Sounds like you’ve hung out with him personally. 🙄
Haha it does read that way.

We don't know any of these people; my opinion of him is based off interviews (written and spoken), I assumed that was self explanatory.

He could be completely different behind closed doors, but all we have to go by is their statements, beliefs, mannerisms. And on that evidence, we make judgements.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

One of the all time classics, for a reason.

Wow. This film is epic in every possible way. The concepts and themes, particularly existentialism, are explored in a way that is both authentic and surreal.

With the exception of a few monkey suits, this film is at least 20 years ahead of its time. The visuals and soundtrack are incredible, and have influenced so much in pop culture since.

One of those films you finish and feel like a different person.

Incredible.

In what way is he a w***er off screen?

Scientology aside.

It's hard to separate his personality from Scientology though.

That said, everything I've read about him is that he's generally a nice guy, if a bit intense. I recall an interview with Simon Pegg, who comes across as quite down to earth, and he said he was always aware of Scientology people on set, conferring with Cruise about the film, but they never attempted to interfere with the other actors and Cruise never talked about Scientology with him. Said he was a great guy.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

One of the all time classics, for a reason.

Wow. This film is epic in every possible way. The concepts and themes, particularly existentialism, are explored in a way that is both authentic and surreal.

With the exception of a few monkey suits, this film is at least 20 years ahead of its time. The visuals and soundtrack are incredible, and have influenced so much in pop culture since.

One of those films you finish and feel like a different person.

Incredible.
I've never made it through it, but that might also be because the people I was watching it with weren't at all interested. I had the same experience you had when I watched Tree Of Life. Again though, the people I watched it with really didn't enjoy it at all.

I've never made it through it, but that might also be because the people I was watching it with weren't at all interested. I had the same experience you had when I watched Tree Of Life. Again though, the people I watched it with really didn't enjoy it at all.
Tree of Life?? Damn I hated it. What did you possibly get out of that, I may have missed something. 🤔

It's hard to separate his personality from Scientology though.

That said, everything I've read about him is that he's generally a nice guy, if a bit intense. I recall an interview with Simon Pegg, who comes across as quite down to earth, and he said he was always aware of Scientology people on set, conferring with Cruise about the film, but they never attempted to interfere with the other actors and Cruise never talked about Scientology with him. Said he was a great guy.
Obviously be wears he Scientology very loudly, but I don't believe he'd make life hard for the crew around him.

Well, he might put a few stunt doubles out of work. That's about it.

Obviously be wears he Scientology very loudly, but I don't believe he'd make life hard for the crew around him.

Well, he might put a few stunt doubles out of work. That's about it.

I don’t overly like or dislike the bloke, to me he is just another actor. Really dont get the hate.

Tree of Life?? Damn I hated it. What did you possibly get out of that, I may have missed something. 🤔
I really loved it. It was confusing and disorienting at times, but overall I thought it it was a really great depiction of the paradox that ultimately we're all inconsequential in the grand scheme of life BUT how important our lives (and those of the people we love) are to us in that much smaller sense. That to me sums up humanity and the film does it so beautifully.

Sounds like you’ve hung out with him personally. 🙄
I have.

Well when I say hung out, "accidentally" kicked a footy his way when he was walking past us on the beach in Byron.

He threw it back gridiron style unfortunately, but gave us a wave when 11 year-old me thanked him.

Based on this interaction I reckon he's a good dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back