Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Sophie's Choice (1982) 7/10

A depressing as hell love triangle set in post war New York.
It was too long but worth watching just for Meryl Streep, but I wouldn't watch it again.
I kind of knew what was coming but that scene where she had to make the choice was just heart breaking, one of the few things in a movie or on tv that brought tears to my eyes.

Ordinary People (1980) ./10

I’m not going to watch this again... ever!

It may seem petty (because it is) but this Robert Redford directorial debut was a decent albeit bland movie .. but somehow it beat probably the best sports movie that was ever made .. the classic Raging Bull (9.5/10) for best picture. One of the the worst decisions in movie history. Also marked possibly De Niro’s best ever performance

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

It may seem petty (because it is) but this Robert Redford directorial debut was a decent albeit bland movie .. but somehow it beat probably the best sports movie that was ever made .. the classic Raging Bull (9.5/10) for best picture. One of the the worst decisions in movie history. Also marked possibly De Niro’s best ever performance
i watched it recently too for the first time. It was just boring and no chance of getting me to watch. Almost a Hallmark movie

mcnulty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

This scene is just so Scorsese. And I mean that in the best possible way.

Last edited:
This scene is just so Scorsese. And I mean that in the best possible way.

Yeah he did that a few times in Goodfellas. Scorsese at his best here..fight scenes were incredible and De Niro’s training to make himself look like a fighter..and then the massive weight for end of the movie.......... Ordinary People?! FMD!

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
Sophie's Choice (1982) 7/10

A depressing as hell love triangle set in post war New York.
It was too long but worth watching just for Meryl Streep, but I wouldn't watch it again.
I kind of knew what was coming but that scene where she had to make the choice was just heart breaking, one of the few things in a movie or on tv that brought tears to my eyes.
Yes. I saw it at the movies when it came out. I thought it was brilliant but haven't seen it since.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Ordinary People talk had me thinking how many Oscar Best Picture Winners I've seen. More than I thought with 24 (Parasite, The Shape of Water, Moonlight, Slumdog Millionaire, No Country for Old Men, The Departed, Crash, The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King, Chicago, A Beautiful Mind, Gladiator, American Beauty, Titanic, Braveheart, Forrest Gump, The Silence of the Lambs, Dances with Wolves, Platoon, Terms of Endearment, Ordinary People, The Deer Hunter, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Sound of Music, Gone with the Wind). Anyone watched all 92?

Last edited:
Ordinary People talk had me thinking how many Oscar Best Picture Winners I've seen. More than I thought with 24 (Parasite, The Shape of Water, Moonlight, Slumdog Millionaire, No Country for Old Men, The Departed, Crash, The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King, Chicago, A Beautiful Mind, Gladiator, American Beauty, Titanic, Braveheart, Forrest Gump, The Silence of the Lambs, Dancers with Wolves, Platoon, Terms of Endearment, Ordinary People, The Deer Hunter, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Sound of Music, Gone with the Wind). Anyone watched all 92?
Only about 4-5 I haven’t seen since 1970...seem probably just over half from ‘50 to ‘70....so roughly 50-60 . This includes older ones I’m sure I’ve seen but vaguely remember

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Watched a few good ones in the last few days.

The Rider (2017) - Great piece of film making. Story of an Indian Rodeo cowboy recovering from a fractured skull. The lead puts in a hell of a performance and is also a real life Rodeo, who was recovering from a fractured skull during filming. His mate recovering from Brain damage is also a real life Rodeo enduring the same recovery. A unique blend of mixing real-life in a semi-fictional film. 8/10.

Broadcast News (1987) - Decent, after finally getting around to watching it. William Hurt puts in a ripper. 7/10.

Bloody Sunday (2002) - Unbelievably well made and recreated. I obviously knew of the U2 song but not the detail of the event it was about. This almost feels like a first person documentary, but it's a film. Unbelievable story, especially reading the follow-up investigations that are still currently ongoing with murder trials for some of the British paratroopers involved currently at trial 48 years later. This has all happened post release of this film. Best movie I've seen in a while. 9/10.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Kramer vs Kramer over Apocalypse Now FTW.
Oh yes great call...just as bad. Gees two years in a row, two epic movies robbed!

Sometimes it’s luck as well, one that may have a poor year where an average one gets up and another year where two great movies compete..eg No Country v There will be Blood.

Some other that may have been deemed lucky....

Forrest over Pulp Fiction & Shawshank

English Patient over Fargo

Shakespeare in Love > Thin Red Line & Priv Ryan

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Alive Korean zombie movie. Started off pretty well but petered out.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Kramer vs Kramer is great! I saw my first boob in a movie theatre when i was about 12. Its actually a much better movie than most best picture winners IMO because there is a lot of dross out there. Forrest Gump, Slumdog Millionaire, Ordinary People. Driving Miss Daisy, The English Patient Crasb and Green Book are all ordinary

Oct 18, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Mama (2013) - Watched this in 2013 and loved it and was listening to Joe Rogan and Post Malone talk about it being on shrooms the other day and what a crazy experience it was haha

but i think this is an underrated horror, Jessica Chastain is great as always and its genuinely pretty creepy

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Guitar hero,Deniz Tek from legendary Aussie band Radio Birdman was the the inspiration for the "Ice-man" character in Top Gun.
I have probably seen more films than most of you but i have never seen Top Gun. Tom Cruises smirking face on the posters has always put me off... should i cave and watch it?
And other movies i havent watched because Tom Cruise are in them. the 1st 3 Mission impossibles. Both Jack Reachers, American Made, Rock of Ages, Valkyrie, the Last Samurai, Interview with a Vampire and Cocktail

The funny this is Jerry Maguire, Color of Money, The firm and Magnolia are some of my favourite all time films

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back