Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordinary People talk had me thinking how many Oscar Best Picture Winners I've seen. More than I thought with 24 (Parasite, The Shape of Water, Moonlight, Slumdog Millionaire, No Country for Old Men, The Departed, Crash, The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King, Chicago, A Beautiful Mind, Gladiator, American Beauty, Titanic, Braveheart, Forrest Gump, The Silence of the Lambs, Dances with Wolves, Platoon, Terms of Endearment, Ordinary People, The Deer Hunter, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Sound of Music, Gone with the Wind). Anyone watched all 92?

I will go through the list later. I imagine that I have seen a large percentage of them.

Knives Out. A very entertaining, old fashioned murder mystery whodunit. Daniel Craig plays (a Hercule Poirot like) Benoit Blanc, an over the top private eye with a thick Louisiana accent that has been hired to assist the police into the investigation of the death of a best selling mystery writer and patriarch of an entitled Massachusetts brood.

A terrific ensemble cast featuring Michael Shannon, Toni Collette, Christopher Plummer, Jamie Lee-Curtis... It is convoluted and fantastical and a great way to spend a couple of hours.

8/10

I have probably seen more films than most of you but i have never seen Top Gun. Tom Cruises smirking face on the posters has always put me off... should i cave and watch it?
And other movies i havent watched because Tom Cruise are in them. the 1st 3 Mission impossibles. Both Jack Reachers, American Made, Rock of Ages, Valkyrie, the Last Samurai, Interview with a Vampire and Cocktail

The funny this is Jerry Maguire, Color of Money, The firm and Magnolia are some of my favourite all time films
I love top gun. I wouldn't recommend it to someone now though if you don't like Tom Cruise. I love it now only because I always have. Won me as a kid with fighter jets and cool music. And the greatest pick up performance of all time.

Knives Out. A very entertaining, old fashioned murder mystery whodunit. Daniel Craig plays (a Hercule Poirot like) Benoit Blanc, an over the top private eye with a thick Louisiana accent that has been hired to assist the police into the investigation of the death of a best selling mystery writer and patriarch of an entitled Massachusetts brood.

A terrific ensemble cast featuring Michael Shannon, Toni Collette, Christopher Plummer, Jamie Lee-Curtis... It is convoluted and fantastical and a great way to spend a couple of hours.

8/10
Was the last thing I saw at the movies. Can't wait until my next good movie experience.

Ordinary People talk had me thinking how many Oscar Best Picture Winners I've seen. More than I thought with 24 (Parasite, The Shape of Water, Moonlight, Slumdog Millionaire, No Country for Old Men, The Departed, Crash, The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King, Chicago, A Beautiful Mind, Gladiator, American Beauty, Titanic, Braveheart, Forrest Gump, The Silence of the Lambs, Dances with Wolves, Platoon, Terms of Endearment, Ordinary People, The Deer Hunter, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Sound of Music, Gone with the Wind). Anyone watched all 92?

Made a point of watching all since the year I was born (87) and have seen a few of the classic ones as well (rocky, The Godfather, Ben Hur, Casablanca etc.).

With one exception, never watched any lord of the rings, tried the first for an hour and truly hated it, so never watched return of the king.

That’s gotta put me around 40-45 I’d think.

I will go through the list later. I imagine that I have seen a large percentage of them.
Made a point of watching all since the year I was born (87) and have seen a few of the classic ones as well (rocky, The Godfather, Ben Hur, Casablanca etc.).

With one exception, never watched any lord of the rings, tried the first for an hour and truly hated it, so never watched return of the king.

That’s gotta put me around 40-45 I’d think.

I'll watch all 92 soon. Maybe in summer. It's an America-centric list and people rip on some of the winners but sounds like a fun way to bowl over classics I've never seen and see film change between 1927 and today.

https://www.filmsite.org/bestpics3.html https://www.filmsite.org/bestpics4.html

Last edited:
Intriguing what's not on the list. Would've assumed The Wizard of Oz won but it was the same year Gone with the Wind did.

8/10
Watched this a few months back. Brilliant film, lots of great characters and very well written.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched a few good ones in the last few days.

Bloody Sunday (2002) - Unbelievably well made and recreated. I obviously knew of the U2 song but not the detail of the event it was about. This almost feels like a first person documentary, but it's a film. Unbelievable story, especially reading the follow-up investigations that are still currently ongoing with murder trials for some of the British paratroopers involved currently at trial 48 years later. This has all happened post release of this film. Best movie I've seen in a while. 9/10.

Have you seen this?

In the name of the father is a solid 9/10 and just superb from start to finish based on a true story.

Made me ask because of the correlation of the U2 songs and how ****ed up the Uk and Ireland were in this time period.

8/10
You forgot to mention Ana De Armas :hearts::hearts::hearts:

In keeping with the Ringer's rewatchable schedule - they dropped a podcast on Easy A and thought I might rewatch having not seen it since it came out. Really quite enjoyable performance from Emma Stone, the homage to John Hughes movies was appreciated and the dialogue was really quite good (standouts in Stanley Tucci, Thomas Haden Church and Patricia Clarkson). I had forgot how much of a fun watch it was - 8/10

Speaking of podcasts, anyone recommend any good movie ones?
I like The Big Picture which is from the Ringer as well. They can nerd out a bit which I don't mind. The rapport the two hosts have is pretty good, plus I find having a man and woman gives it a good balance.
Rewatchables I'll listen to if it's a movie I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back