Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

This isn't an 80s binge despite the Weird Science mention above but I'm guessing that I wasn't alone when I was reminded of a third Bill and Ted and thought ..... eh...... maybe ..... ok ......?

But if I was going to watch the third one in the cinemas I was dragging the kids along to it... and so we watched the first one tonight.

And it was surprisingly good.

I remembered it as a dumb 90s movie (the fact it was actually 89 is just another tick in its favour). And sure it's still not high art but everything about it is just a little better than you'd have expected, the main characters nail it, the side charaters are great (George Carlin as Rufus, Billy the Kid, Socrates, Napoleon, Bill's dad...) the writing, the time travel tie ins, none of it is mind blowing but it all just works and it has aged a lot less than I was expecting. Even the CGI and future scenes hold up better than I would have thought.

We'll watch Bogus Journey next week which should be cool as I love Death and then we'll decide on the third one.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
The last thing I forgot to mention was the final history report in the auditorium, it reminded me of The Blues Brother's final concert at the Palace Hotel. There is just something about filming a live audience that works. I always wonder who some of those people were and where they might be today.

Last edited:

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Speaking of podcasts, anyone recommend any good movie ones?

I listen to Roger Deakin's podcast on Spotify. He has a few interviews with other cinematographers, and episodes where they talk about technical aspects of film making. Has had Denis Villeneuve, Coen Brothers, Jake Gyllenhall come on too.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Watched a sort of depressing southern triple header last night.

The devil all the time - a bunch of pretty irredeemably bad men doing pretty awful s**t to a bunch of women in and around backwater town in Ohio. Interesting themes, right pacing and great performances (Jason Clarke, Tom Holland, Bill Skarsgard, Robert Pattinson, Sebastian Stan) make this a good watch 7.5/10

1922 - Thomas Jane plays a simple Nebraska farmer who decides to murder his wife to keep his farm (that’s not a spoiler, it’s the catalyst for the events of the film). Creepy and pretty violent. 7/10

Mudbound - Jason Mitchell and Garett Hedlund play soldiers returning to rural Mississippi post WW2. Race and class war ensues along with a woven tapestry of other stories (centrally Carey Mulligan and Jason Clarke’s pretty loveless marriage and Jonathon Banks raging racism hard on). Honestly this was a tough watch for a host of reasons. The narration and pacing don’t entirely work for me but great performances save it 7/10

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

This isn't an 80s binge despite the Weird Science mention above but I'm guessing that I wasn't alone when I was reminded of a third Bill and Ted and thought ..... eh...... maybe ..... ok ......?

But if I was going to watch the third one in the cinemas I was dragging the kids along to it... and so we watched the first one tonight.

And it was surprisingly good.

I remembered it as a dumb 90s movie (the fact it was actually 89 is just another tick in its favour). And sure it's still not high art but everything about it is just a little better than you'd have expected, the main characters nail it, the side charaters are great (George Carlin as Rufus, Billy the Kid, Socrates, Napoleon, Bill's dad...) the writing, the time travel tie ins, none of it is mind blowing but it all just works and it has aged a lot less than I was expecting. Even the CGI and future scenes hold up better than I would have thought.

We'll watch Bogus Journey next week which should be cool as I love Death and then we'll decide on the third one.
I have seen the 3rd one, Bill and Ted Face the Music (it can be found). Its a updated cross between the 1st 2 and so much fun. Usually these movies are dire but i am very happy to have seen it and will rewatch many times like the first 2. Death is a highlight. 7/10

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Watched a sort of depressing southern triple header last night.

The devil all the time - a bunch of pretty irredeemably bad men doing pretty awful sh*t to a bunch of women in and around backwater town in Ohio. Interesting themes, right pacing and great performances (Jason Clarke, Tom Holland, Bill Skarsgard, Robert Pattinson, Sebastian Stan) make this a good watch 7.5/10

1922 - Thomas Jane plays a simple Nebraska farmer who decides to murder his wife to keep his farm (that’s not a spoiler, it’s the catalyst for the events of the film). Creepy and pretty violent. 7/10

Mudbound - Jason Mitchell and Garett Hedlund play soldiers returning to rural Mississippi post WW2. Race and class war ensues along with a woven tapestry of other stories (centrally Carey Mulligan and Jason Clarke’s pretty loveless marriage and Jonathon Banks raging racism hard on). Honestly this was a tough watch for a host of reasons. The narration and pacing don’t entirely work for me but great performances save it 7/10

Only one of those is the south, assuming you meant US geography.

Deathray

All Australian
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
In the Name of the Father (1993): One of those classics that you watch despite knowing exactly what’s about to happen at every turn. Day-Lewis really is ‘elite’. 8.5/10

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I listen to Roger Deakin's podcast on Spotify. He has a few interviews with other cinematographers, and episodes where they talk about technical aspects of film making. Has had Denis Villeneuve, Coen Brothers, Jake Gyllenhall come on too.

I haven’t listened to this. Deakins is a treasure. There was this wonderful Roundtable thingo with a bunch of very serious dps around it discussing film and the host brought up film v digital. The table is very serious and they get to deakins and he says “I don’t give a *. I’ll film on an iPhone. Who cares”. He has a wonderful website with a forum where he often logs in and answers questions about his work etc.

He has an excellent approach to his work.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I haven’t listened to this. Deakins is a treasure. There was this wonderful Roundtable thingo with a bunch of very serious dps around it discussing film and the host brought up film v digital. The table is very serious and they get to deakins and he says “I don’t give a fu**. I’ll film on an iPhone. Who cares”. He has a wonderful website with a forum where he often logs in and answers questions about his work etc.

He has an excellent approach to his work.

Yeah I was quite surprised by that comment he had made, would have thought he'd be a bit of a snob and pro-film.

Seen all the old Star Wars on the big screen in the last month. Last time i watched them was on VHS in the 90s. So good!

JEDI next week to complete the original trilogy. Kudos to the cinemas showing the old classics.

Saw Ghostbusters and Back to the Future on the big screen in previous months....... ahh the 80s.............................. so much better than i remembered at the drive-in

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens

Rewatch for me. Still holds up amazingly well. Loved every bit of it. I like the way it introduces the new characters but also interweaves some of the older ones. And pays a lot of respect to the older movies. Can't pick anything I dislike about it.

9/10

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

A first viewing for me. Heard so many negative things going into this movie, I was skeptical. And half way through I wasn't enjoying it. But it turned it around in the final act. I enjoyed it, and not being a huge Star Wars fan probably works in my favour. The middle act with Finn and the random girl was a bit meh but thankfully was only a small part of the movie. I liked learning a little more about 'the force' as it was always something I wasn't sure about.

7.5/10

Star Wars IX: Rise of Skywalker

Managed to finish all three of these movies in 1 night. Was a little burnt out by the end of it, but like VIII, I went into this with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Without a doubt the weakest movie of the 3, but it certainly wasn't bad at all and I enjoyed it. There were a couple strange moments and this one felt less dark then TLJ.

7/10

Last edited:

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Seen all the old Star Wars on the big screen in the last month. Last time i watched them was on VHS in the 90s. So good!

JEDI next week to complete the original trilogy. Kudos to the cinemas showing the old classics.

Saw Ghostbusters and Back to the Future on the big screen in previous months....... ahh the 80s.............................. so much better than i remembered at the drive-in

What cinema was showing SW?

Watched A Simple Favour (2018)

Similar to Gone Girl but not as intense, Blake Lively goes full badass. Kendrick was wonderful too

Highlight - Jeffrey Spender of X Files fame making a blink as you miss it cameo.

7.8/10 - Recommended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back