Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wow. Ive never known of a weekend detention at either of the schools i worked at. Apparently getting an after school is a nightmare, all the paperwork or something. I could be wrong about that tho idk... its not like i had the authority to hand out detentions anyway.
I think it is mostly a private school thing, because their teachers are often contracted to work Saturdays during term (on account of school sport).

I think it is mostly a private school thing, because their teachers are often contracted to work Saturday mornings during term (on account of school sport).

Actually come to think of it, my school sometimes had kids over on PL days. (this is private catholic)- in full uniform, so maybe they did run detentions on Curriculum days.

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
I am still astounded to this day, how long it took to totally eliminate corporal punishment from schools here. Just... really shocked.
Yes but it was the old English way our society is based on and who was to know or even question it was wrong? There may have been ‘raised eyebrows’ but the “curriculum” man.

Wow. Ive never known of a weekend detention at either of the schools i worked at. Apparently getting an after school is a nightmare, all the paperwork or something. I could be wrong about that tho idk... its not like i had the authority to hand out detentions anyway.

I remember getting an after school detention for kicking a footy in the school ground - like WTSF!!!!

It hasn't been - several private schools in Queensland still cane students (or did up until several years ago). AFAIK it's still not illegal there.
I asked a friend who works at my old school whether they still hit kids with canes and leather straps and stuck them in the can (a small room where they would sit all day writing lines). He said they’re using some new-fangled feel-good behaviour management program.

I asked a friend who works at my old school whether they still hit kids with canes and leather straps and stuck them in the can (a small room where they would sit all day writing lines). He said they’re using some new-fangled feel-good behaviour management program.

At my current school they give the naughty kids 15 minutes in the cooler.

tenor.gif

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
My school finishes at 1:30 on a Friday afternoon for the students, except for those on detention. Works a treat.

Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants
wtf.

I thought that went out by about 1980.

"New South Wales, South Australia, Tasmania and Victoria are the only states that have explicitly prohibited the use of corporal punishment in all schools. While the ACT has not explicitly banned corporal punishment in non-government schools, the current interpretation of the law is that the ban applies to all school contexts.

There remains some ambiguity in the Northern Territory, Queensland and Western Australian law, where amendments have been made to education legislation that previously allowed for the use of physical punishment, but not to criminal codes that still (in principle) give authority to a parent, or a person in place of a parent, to “use reasonable corrective force” (see Table 3). Therefore, the consequence of using corporal punishment in the school setting is dependent on whether a child attends a government or non-government school."

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
A bit of Focus - love that movie

A bit of Karate Kid 1, most of 2 and a bit of 3. Lol'd in KK2 when I saw this goofie campaigner come up to Laruso inviting him and Kumico to the dance. Lol'd even harder when about 3 seconds later I realised it's the guy from Focus. The dude that Will Smith makes those huge bets with at the Super Bowl. I love that guy, he plays an awesome part. Used to hate the campaigner.

KK1 is a *en brilliant movie. I love the Ice and bet chopping scene from 2 with the music in the back ground. Miyagi has his underrated funny moments in all 3 of the movies. And from KK3 I love Terry Silver and Mike '' Bad Boy '' Barnes.

Good memories.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Never Rarely Sometimes Always - a pregnant 17 year old in Pennsylvania goes to New York with her supportive cousin to get an abortion, as she can't have one without parental knowledge in her home state. Excellent but incredibly depressing film, and very well acted by the largely unknown cast. The love and support between the two lead characters was touching and beautiful. It does perhaps come down a bit heavy on making almost everyone else they encounter a monster, but still an extremely good, well done film.

The Climb - two best friends from upstate New York are cycling in the French Alps when one confesses he's been sleeping with the other's fiancee. A low key very funny movie where the two friends stick with one another thanks to the warmhearted generosity of one and the leeching of the other, making for an amusing display of toxic friendships. The two leads wrote, directed and produced the movie as well, based on a short film they made and which led to them being offered a budget for a feature from a studio. Very enjoyable, a contender for my favourite comedy of the year.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Borat. Forgotten how funny it really was.

"The men wood go a clazy for this women.... her not so much"

"Come on give me a smile chicky babe!!!'

And when he starts to unpack his suitcase in the elevator of the hotel :tearsofjoy:
"I could not understand what this old man was saying"

And...

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Funny Games (1997).

A family trip to sail their boat on a lake is interrupted by two young men who subject them to an increasing range of horrors. It's not a straight horror film - we don't see the worst excesses, but psychologically it is dramatic as it realistically builds from innocuous to terror. The director throws in some quirky things like the perps talking to the camera.

7/10

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Suicide Kings (1997).

Christopher Walken plays a mobster who is kidnapped by some inexperienced young guys. Gradually he manipulates the situation in his favour. The plot all hangs together with a twist at the end. The supplementary characters all seem to be played by comedians so it's a lot of fun.

7/10

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Funny Games (1997).

A family trip to sail their boat on a lake is interrupted by two young men who subject them to an increasing range of horrors. It's not a straight horror film - we don't see the worst excesses, but psychologically it is dramatic as it realistically builds from innocuous to terror. The director throws in some quirky things like the perps talking to the camera.

7/10

I have seen the US version and loved it

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Mosul (2020)

8/10.

Shades of Black Hawk Down, but a grittier, less Hollywoodized version.

Felt absolutely genuine.

Think it will be a classic of the genre in a time. Best modern Middle Eastern based war movie I’ve seen, better than American Sniper, Jarhead, Hurt Locker etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back