Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Richard Jewell... solid drama about the hero security guard at the ‘96 Olympics who became the main suspect, good performances. Hard not to with the likes of Sam Rockwell and Kathy Bates. Only issue with it is, while it’s not hard to feel sympathetic for Jewel, it’s not at all unreasonable for the FBI to suspect him. He was pretty damn odd. They’d not be doing their job if they didn’t consider him. Felt more for his mum. 7/10
Mild spoilers but that wasn’t at all the point of that movie, the FBI didn’t follow their process AT ALL and as a result the guy copped trial by media.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Mild spoilers but that wasn’t at all the point of that movie, the FBI didn’t follow their process AT ALL and as a result the guy copped trial by media.
In a roundabout way it is kind of the point of the movie - the media had him pegged as the guy because of how odd he was.

I'm not sure how you couldn't feel sympathetic for Jewell tbh.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
In a roundabout way it is kind of the point of the movie - the media had him pegged as the guy because of how odd he was.

Nah, the media had him pegged because the FBI leaked his name... Then his oddness fed that narrative. In any event the idea that the FBI did the right thing is a weird one to take away.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Nah, the media had him pegged because the FBI leaked his name... Then his oddness fed that narrative. In any event the idea that the FBI did the right thing is a weird one to take away.
Not dismissing your point at all; the massive screw-up is clearly at the feet of the FBI. But Richard Jewell became an easy target for the trail by media because he didn't fit in. If JackOutback had watched the film and thought - why would anyone believe this guy could have done it - the FBI and the media wouldn't have had an easy target.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I’m aware the FBI ****ed up, they were desperate for a result and took short cuts. Just saying their interest would have been on him anyway because of how odd he was and it would have come out. I don’t see there being much of a different result.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’m aware the FBI f’ed up, they were desperate for a result and took short cuts. Just saying their interest would have been on him anyway because of how odd he was and it would have come out. I don’t see there being much of a different result.

If they hadnt leaked to the press Jewell and his mum wouldnt have had media camped on their lawn.

The Little Things

Great cast thought Washington was fantastic in this it reminded me very much of an 80s classic thriller feel really enjoyed it although there were a few plot holes in the script that I would have liked to know more about which at times takes a bit away from the movie
4 stars
Im gonna go see this next week

I’m sort of an Eastwood fan but for some reason never watched Eiger Sanction.

Writing and plot was bog average but mountain climbing scenes were very good. Hard to believe Eastwood did most of his own stunts and was actually filming on the Swiss mountain. And it was him dangling from a rope over 1000m high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MV5BNDEwNGRlNjQtZjI4OC00ZmMxLWEyYmQtNGI1NDk4YmUyYTNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ2MjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg

Zach Snyder's best film.
Such a master class.

Watched The Dig on Netflix. Excellent performances by the two leads and the first half of the film is engrossing.

However, about half way through they introduce these new characters who add nothing to the story - especially the woman with the obviously gay husband who falls for another character. Who the hell cares and why did this engaging film suddenly become a stupid pointless romance about side characters?

Worth watching but beware.
Just watched this and you summed it up perfectly. What a bizarre storyline. Should’ve have focused more on the history

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I’m yet to see this one but I think anime is fantastic. What was it you didn’t like about it? Also has to be said, good to see you back amongst the boards mate.
There’s just a lot of ‘crazy’ that goes on in that particular movie. Strange creatures etc.

The storyline itself wasn’t too bad I guess.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Spirited Away isn't even that good in my opinion.

Paparika
Perfect Blue
Grave of the fireflies
My neighbour Totoro
Porco Rosso

Are some good anime films I'd recommend
I love Sprinted Away
Totoro is excellent too PR is good too
I love all Ghibli even went to the Museum in Tokyo

havent seen Perfect Blue or GOTFF (but will when Im ready for some intense sadness one day)

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Unhinged. Ok if you park your brain before you watch. So many ludicrous decisions but I guess you wouldn't have a movie otherwise. Russell Crowe is good as usual.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Yep, spot in. Was a really good movie as well (I didn't remember anything about a bombing at those Olympics)

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
The Little Things - I find the bad/scathing reviews for this baffling to be honest. It was a pretty good movie. I've seen some genuine critiques about the editing and stuff that I can cop, but to see people saying it was a Seven copy or whatever is just lazy imo. Probably the same people that went and watched Joker at the cinema 5 times. It was a really cool thriller that I think showed the frustrations that police detectives can face. Loved the scenes when Denzel, Leto and Malek would share the screen but even the Denzel/Rami scenes were a lot of fun. It was a bit of a surprise seeing Malek in this type of role, I saw someone say that he could have in fact played been the antagonist in this movie better than he did his detective character.
I wouldn't call it the best movie ever or one of my favourites, but it was a fun two hours with an interesting ending.
Was reading the wiki yesterday and someone wrote that in the earlier scenes of the movie the killer was walking without a limp, and Leto obviously had a distinct limp, indicating he wasn't actually the killer, but I think he was fwiw.
7.5/10
6.5/10

I watched this tonight

Unfortunately - and this is no way a critique of Malek but my own inability to separate different characters - I kept seeing Malek as Freddie . Took me out of the picture at times.

Denzel as Deacon was ok but I'm not sure he got out of 2nd gear

Leto as the suspect was eerily creepy and the strongest character of the 3.

Its not going to win any action awards but its a look at the frustrations and limitations of a police force

There is enough doubt around the ending that it leaves it open for a sequel if they choose ie another murder etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back