Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
6.5/10

I watched this tonight

Unfortunately - and this is no way a critique of Malek but my own inability to separate different characters - I kept seeing Malek as Freddie . Took me out of the picture at times.

Denzel as Deacon was ok but I'm not sure he got out of 2nd gear

Leto as the suspect was eerily creepy and the strongest character of the 3.

Its not going to win any action awards but its a look at the frustrations and limitations of a police force

There is enough doubt around the ending that it leaves it open for a sequel if they choose ie another murder etc
this is probably an unpopular opinion but i dont like Remi Malik in anything ive seen and will probably actively avoid anything he will be in from now on. I do it with Tom Cruise too!

this is probably an unpopular opinion but i dont like Remi Malik in anything ive seen and will probably actively avoid anything he will be in from now on. I do it with Tom Cruise too!
Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher was the final straw for me

Even though the author found it good?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
The author that stands to make more money the more people see it?

Tom Cruise makes a lot of decent movies, but I get not watching his stuff as he comes across as a tosser.

I don't watch Jamie foxx movies because I hated the ending to law abiding citizen so much. Him not dying has killed my ability to watch him in anything else. Shia lebouf too, but no idea why.

Queen & Slim.

When a tinder date goes wrong. I thought this was a well acted movie with some strong political statements in it. Only gripe would be it probably went on for a little too long. But other than that, it was an enjoyable watch.

Have been enjoying Daniel Kaluuya lately and as I write this I am watching get out.

7/10

Queen & Slim.

When a tinder date goes wrong. I thought this was a well acted movie with some strong political statements in it. Only gripe would be it probably went on for a little too long. But other than that, it was an enjoyable watch.

Have been enjoying Daniel Kaluuya lately and as I write this I am watching get out.

7/10
I feel like that film slipped through the cracks of 2020.

Under appreciated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I managed to get my 11 and 15 year old to watch 12 Angry Men (1957) and they seemed to actually enjoy it and were surprised how interesting it was considering its basically a bunch of old men sitting around talking. To be fair they are pretty indulgent with the 'Dad Introduces the Classics Series' (confession: they're mostly not classic) and the Black and White certainly made a contrast with The Croods 2 (2020) we watched last night which was actually fine and about as colourful as movies get.

Well I managed to get my 11 and 15 year old to watch 12 Angry Men (1957) and they seemed to actually enjoy it and were surprised how interesting it was considering its basically a bunch of old men sitting around talking. To be fair they are pretty indulgent with the 'Dad Introduces the Classics Series' (confession: they're mostly not classic) and the Black and White certainly made a contrast with The Croods 2 (2020) we watched last night which was actually fine and about as colourful as movies get.

Sounds like Warhol's Empire should be the next cab off the rank!

Sounds like Warhol's Empire should be the next cab off the rank!

Well we did watch Die Hard the other day and so at least I know they could handle the tension. I was thinking back through what we've seen and thinking up next maybe Groundhog Day, possibly Gremlins. I'd like to watch Aliens with my 15 yr old but there's no way my 11 yr old would like it.

Well we did watch Die Hard the other day and so at least I know they could handle the tension. I was thinking back through what we've seen and thinking up next maybe Groundhog Day, possibly Gremlins. I'd like to watch Aliens with my 15 yr old but there's no way my 11 yr old would like it.

I watched Groundhog Day with my 11 year old nephew the other day, he liked it.

I Care Alot, on Netflix. While it's not groundbreaking, it's well done and well acted and there's enough about it to make it feel fresh. It's not a rewatchable but a decent 7/10.
I wanted to like that - the concept and cast were good on paper.

It just seemed really poorly written and directed, and had far too many poorly done Gone Girl elements - Rosamund Pike's narration was very similar, the score was a blatant clone, the "black flash" effect when she was in the lake was identical to her scene with Neil Patrick Harris in the bedroom, and none of it was well done.

I'm not sure what the budget was, but I feel like this could have been good with a rewrite and different person at the helm.

I wanted to like that - the concept and cast were good on paper.

It just seemed really poorly written and directed, and had far too many poorly done Gone Girl elements - Rosamund Pike's narration was very similar, the score was a blatant clone, the "black flash" effect when she was in the lake was identical to her scene with Neil Patrick Harris in the bedroom, and none of it was well done.

I'm not sure what the budget was, but I feel like this could have been good with a rewrite and different person at the helm.
First 20 or so minutes were good and effective....but it fell of a cliff after that. Dinklage was not a good villain - not sure if it was due to the writing, his performance or the fact you just see Tyrion Lanaster (which is unfair on him) but there was no believable menace to speak of. The pivot for the lead ladies was poorly done and too quick (moves from White Collar Crim to Blue Collar Crim in the blink of an eye).

Second half could have been so much better and the story redone. The sexism angle was pushed a little too hard, it was like a sledgehammer where it needed only to be subtle (I like the use of mostly female protagonists but didn't need to continually push that the male participants all had to be pigs).

The thing I didn't like was how the movie attempted to make Pike's character almost a hero character (i.e. someone that was wronged getting her dues). The character was purposely unlikable and the grift was terrible (truly horrible in terms of what it was). I didn't want to sympathize with her character but kinda wanted to see an outcome like the Nicole Kidman character in 'To Die For'. 4/10 for me (I think its Amazon Prime as well).

Agree on the shift of her character.

I fully bought into how heinous her crimes were, and when Dinklage got involved I was expecting a Fargo or Tarrantino type villian v villain fight to the death.

It was only from the lake scene on that I realised we were supposed to be rooting for her, despite her being a terrible person and facing no consequences for what she'd done.

I liked the subtlty of sexism with the victim at the start, that made sense - men jump the gender card as soon as they're attacked. That made sense to call out.

But it still didn't make her worth rooting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back