Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry going OT slightly. But why the hell did they change the Village website?

IIRC was hardly any "clicks" to get to the cinema you wanted to see the sessions.

Now its, site, cinema, click specific cinema, click ALL sessions, click FUTURE, then you get to the ******* day you actually want.
*was also much easier to jump from cinema to cinema on the old site.

Godzilla v kong.

Took my son and nephew to go watch it.

They loved it. Clapping and shaking their fists in excitement whenever godzilla was on screen. Then bored shitless when the useless paint by numbers characters interacted. I kept sitting there thinking they better show up soon or they will start chasing each other.

Kong was pretty cool ill give them that, overall I just don't know why they can't nail the monster style genre. Too much filler with these boring characters.

4/10

Bad Trip...Eric Andre pranking the public while playing out a loose narrative. Funnier than I though, doesn't ever fall completely into cringe and it's good to see the people are rarely the butts of the joke, more observers. 7/10

I just finished watching The Father, a touching film that looks at the scourge of dementia, and I still have tears in my eyes. It hit a bit too close to home. I was caregiver for my father who had had a stroke and had previously been diagnosed with dementia. Fortunately he died of a brain aneurysm before dementia really set in and deprived him of all that is cherished in life. Seeing the film through the eyes of a dementia patient was heartbreaking. I also was caregiver for my mum for 12 years. She, too, was diagosed with dementia two years before she died. The scene where Anthony Hopkins couldn't figure out how to put on his jumper was so very realistic. I had to help both my parents dress and undress themselves in their last years of life. That scene brought back a flood of memories.

I read a few reviews of the film prior to watching it which helped to alleviate some of the character/time confusion that the viewer might have. It was not only a marvelously acted film, but a finely crafted film. It is a worthy Oscar contender for Best Picture, Best Actor in a Leading Role and Best Actress in a Supporting Role.

I have now seen five of the eight Best Picture nominees. Just Mank, Judas and the Black Messiah and Sound of Metal to go.

I just finished watching The Father, a touching film that looks at the scourge of dementia, and I still have tears in my eyes. It hit a bit too close to home. I was caregiver for my father who had had a stroke and had previously been diagnosed with dementia. Fortunately he died of a brain aneurysm before dementia really set in and deprived him of all that is cherished in life. Seeing the film through the eyes of a dementia patient was heartbreaking. I also was caregiver for my mum for 12 years. She, too, was diagosed with dementia two years before she died. The scene where Anthony Hopkins couldn't figure out how to put on his jumper was so very realistic. I had to help both my parents dress and undress themselves in their last years of life. That scene brought back a flood of memories.

I read a few reviews of the film prior to watching it which helped to alleviate some of the character/time confusion that the viewer might have. It was not only a marvelously acted film, but a finely crafted film. It is a worthy Oscar contender for Best Picture, Best Actor in a Leading Role and Best Actress in a Supporting Role.

I have now seen five of the eight Best Picture nominees. Just Mank, Judas and the Black Messiah and Sound of Metal to go.
The Father is the only one I haven't seen yet.

Am a bit more eager after reading your review.

Framing John Delorean (2019) - a doco with dramatization (Alec Baldwin as Delorean) and behind the scenes footage mixed into the narrative, it's very well made and interviews with Delorean's kids, former colleagues, lawyers etc. give the film its integrity. Much talk of failed attempts over the years to make a full length biopic but this is almost as good an option imo. Directed by Don Argott and Sheena M Joyce. 7.5/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About Endlessness - the Swedish director Roy Andersson's fourth feature in twenty years featuring the same style of visual poetry, each adding up to an overall theme, is possibly his most beautiful yet. Each scene is a static shot of what could pass for a stillwork in a gallery, with performers filling the frame for a range of different vignettes, with a range of different characters and only a handful ever returning for what could possibly be called a plot. The tone of each scene varies dramatically, from the comedic to the cathartic to the surreal to the disturbing, and some of the jumps to the next scene are startling. From the priest struggling with his loss of faith to the grudges held between two middle aged men reunited after falling out decades earlier, there is much in this that will stay with me for some time. Only 76 minutes long, there was a lot to take in, and Andersson remains one of the truly unique film makers today.

Godzilla vs Kong - way too much exposition and boring storylines that I didn't care about, the film takes far too long to deliver on its promise of a fight between two of cinema's most iconic monsters. When it finally happens it's pure popcorn, and the visuals are legitimately impressive (even if the Hiroshima-level event that this brawl dishes out on the city of Hong Kong, with surely a death toll in the hundreds of thousands if not millions amid all the destruction, is breezily skimmed over). Why they decided to attach so much storyline to this I have no idea, especially given how outright uninspired the story was. I also have no idea why these movies hire the strong character actor cast that they do and then have them barely act, but then it's not my production budget.

Last live action Japanese Godzilla film (2016) was ******* awesome.
Ripped into the Japanese government handling of Fukushima and Tohuku disasters, and was genuinely hilarious in the way it portrayed the bureaucratic, red-tape nonsense that cripples governments around the world.

Ronald MacDonald makes Godzilla film and instead of giving us two hours of monsters fighting which would at least be tolerable, they anchor the whole thing in half-arsed, cliched love stories with boring characters that no one gives a * about.

So disappointing.

just finished the father and wow, what a heartbreaking film...Anthony Hopkins is utterly brilliant, one of the best actors of our generation, i fortunately have no family members with a history of dementia and after seeing this i pray it doesn't befall on anyone i know and love...a truly insidious illness.

i cant flaw this film...i don't think i will ever re watch it...it has left a strong mark and one of those films that stays with you for some time...having said that it is a must watch for anyone even slightly curious about it

just finished the father and wow, what a heartbreaking film...Anthony Hopkins is utterly brilliant, one of the best actors of our generation, i fortunately have no family members with a history of dementia and after seeing this i pray it doesn't befall on anyone i know and love...a truly insidious illness.

i cant flaw this film...i don't think i will ever re watch it...it has left a strong mark and one of those films that stays with you for some time...having said that it is a must watch for anyone even slightly curious about it

Just came in to give my review of this film too.

Exactly my sentiments, don't think it's one of those films I'll watch again. Heartbreaking.

It's a great film though..

I'm going through this with Mum right now. It's so heart breaking. I think it's worse this time because, after watching my Grandma suffer, I know what I'm in for. Don't know if I want to see this movie.

Oddjob on World Movies

******* great, until the end where the very likeable main character who did some horrible things, got the super hot girl and lived happily ever after with no consequences.

Would have been 10/10 if not for the last bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back