Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve seen some horrific top 100 lists, they mean nothing.

Two great filmmakers, I’ll leave it at that.
Im not really debating the films, thats entirely subjective and im more than happy to say "they werent for me but that doesnt mean they are not good" it does just seem odd to me that he has this extreme celebrity in spite of most people not really knowing (or liking) a great deal of his work.

For reference Allen has 0 in the top 100 on IMDB, you can debate the quality of that list but its a good sample size.

Yet somehow if you asked someone on the street to name 5 movie directors Allen is likely one of those 5.

That doesnt seem odd to you?

Space Jam (the original obviously)

Haven't watched this in like 20 years but sat down and watched it with the kids on the weekend. surprising I still liked it more than I thought I would.

I had forgotten how this was tied into the period when MJ was playing baseball. Hence why when MJ is tearing it up in the space jame game Swackhammer yells at his minions why they didn't steal Jordans powers and they reply 'he is a baseball player not a basketball player'

8/10

Space Jam (the original obviously)

Haven't watched this in like 20 years but sat down and watched it with the kids on the weekend. surprising I still liked it more than I thought I would.

I had forgotten how this was tied into the period when MJ was playing baseball. Hence why when MJ is tearing it up in the space jame game Swackhammer yells at his minions why they didn't steal Jordans powers and they reply 'he is a baseball player not a basketball player'

8/10

The trailer for the new one actually looks okay too.

The trailer for the new one actually looks okay too.
It does but it strikes me as a movie that is trying to look visually amazing rather than trying to have a good storyline and substance

Lebron James has his kid stolen by some matrix type guy. Matrix type guys says he can only get his kid back if he picks a team full of losers to beat his team of superstars in a basketball game. Lebron wins yawn

It does but it strikes me as a movie that is trying to look visually amazing rather than trying to have a good storyline and substance

Lebron James has his kid stolen by some matrix type guy. Matrix type guys says he can only get his kid back if he picks a team full of losers to beat his team of superstars in a basketball game. Lebron wins yawn

I mean... the plot for the original is hardly Citizen Kane.

Its a kids movie with Pop Culture references, basketball and cartoons.

The new one looks bright, colorful and fun and honestly Bron has been pretty good in the handful of stuff hes been in.

It's a movie for kids. Are you expecting War and Peace?

Im not really debating the films, thats entirely subjective and im more than happy to say "they werent for me but that doesnt mean they are not good" it does just seem odd to me that he has this extreme celebrity in spite of most people not really knowing (or liking) a great deal of his work.

For reference Allen has 0 in the top 100 on IMDB, you can debate the quality of that list but its a good sample size.

Yet somehow if you asked someone on the street to name 5 movie directors Allen is likely one of those 5.

That doesnt seem odd to you?
Most people? Depends who you mix with. As for the IMDB list is that the one that has the Matrix, Interstellar and Fight Club in top 20?

Most people? Depends who you mix with. As for the IMDB list is that the one that has the Matrix, Interstellar and Fight Club in top 20?
Hes made 50 films, i reckon the general public naming would be an under over of 5-10.

IMDBs top 100 is a good sample size.

I think you think im decrying the quality of his best films, im not, im saying it seems weird to me that hes a guy who most people would name as one of the great directors yet most people dont know most of his work. It just seems strange to me.

Hes made 50 films, i reckon the general public naming would be an under over of 5-10.

I think you think im decrying the quality of his best films, im not, im saying it seems weird to me that hes a guy who most people would name as one of the great directors yet most people dont know most of his work. It just seems strange to me.

So many interesting discussions like this get lost in the What's the last movie you saw (1 ,2, 3, 4, 5) thread format.

Solid hungover tv watching session yesterday, 4 movies and a game of footy.

Point Break: can't believe I'd never seen this. Very radical, bruh 8/10
Happy Death Day: groundhog day meets college slasher movie. Quite a bit of fun 7/10
Predestination: interesting time travel sci fi thriller with Ethan Hawke that also slipped under my radar 7.5/10
Two Hands: one of the best movies to come out of Australia. Funny, gritty, entertaining 10/10
Hawthorn vs Geelong: quite boring and slow, saved by a decent ending 5/10

Happy Death Day: groundhog day meets college slasher movie. Quite a bit of fun 7/10
Predestination: interesting time travel sci fi thriller with Ethan Hawke that also slipped under my radar 7.5/10
Two Hands: one of the best movies to come out of Australia. Funny, gritty, entertaining 10/10

Im claiming Predestination was off my recommendation cause no one ive actually recommended it to has watched it.

Oi there was some awesome goals *cough*thelastoneforus. And Hawks lost by less than a goal. In my eyes that 5 translates to an outstanding 9.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Boy Next Door (Netflix) Thriller starring J Lo.

Only 4.7 on IMDB but I quite enjoyed it.

Yeah that put me off it - worth the watch?

If you love thrillers check out Run!

I watched Run yesterday. Very good. The Boy Next Door isn't great but it's worth a watch if you've got not much else to do.

Run - so many easter eggs

Halfway through and not sure if it will get past a 7 so far

Having seen Misery a few months ago- of which this is copied -
the suspense isn't there fo me
Yep 7/10 - for me it was predictable. Not every scene but certain ones.

Eggs

Copy of Misery
Pharmacist Mrs Bates - later revealed as Kathy Bates
Radio report about Derry , Maine - Steven King's fictional town
Dr Linda Casabian references Linda Kasabian a Charles Manson follower

He’s probably well more known than many because he stars in his own films as well as directing them, plus for the scandal.

I would think a lot more people could name Fellini than can name his movies (none of which make the IMDB Top 250 list, showing its worth). As for Allen, Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex and Annie Hall were both enormous box office successes, in the top ten highest grossing films of their years (a feat Scorsese only managed once with Cape Fear).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back