Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And again, I’m not noting the quality of the films, I never have, I’m noting the entertainment and appeal of them.
My point is that the MCU is sort of like an emotional Ponzi scheme, where people get drawn in via simple traditional stories (which can be quite good - Winter Soldier was a fun spy thriller) and then get cross marketed to a million other films by cameos and appearances and whatnot

Eventually you get to the point where you can turn out hot garbage like the latest Avengers films and it does’t really matter because everyone has so much invested in these characters that the preestablished emotional payoff makes up for any lack of actual inherent quality to the story, screenplay or cinematography

Maybe that still qualifies as entertainment to you but I went into Infinity War without much context and found it borderline unwatchable

IMO if a film is entertaining it should be able to stand on its own merits

As opposed to labeling those who enjoy them the way that you have...

It’s pretty elitist to suggest people who enjoy them are not “serious” movie people or are children who enjoy shiny things.
Hahaha hoooolyyyy

iu

In no way did I suggest that or did I label anyone that enjoys those movies anything whatsoever. If you can quote me on that then go ahead (but you quoted your own post so I'm sure you can't)

I said: I don't think it's that uncommon to find people with no interest whatsoever in those movies in more serious movie going crowds.

Does that mean that if you enjoy Marvel etc you can't also enjoy more serious movies or aren't a "serious movie goer"? Of course not.
Conversely, does that mean if you consider yourself a cinephile, you're precluded from enjoying Marvel etc movies? Of course not.

I just think it would be more common in those people identifying as cinephiles or serious movie goers, to have little interest in those movies.

I'm pretty sure you already knew what I meant and you're being disingenuous by insinuating otherwise.

Call it elitist or pretentious if you like. It is what it is.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't mind superhero movies in general, plenty I don't like, but boring is a valid criticism.

Anyways, Venom...boring. Wait, not quite, but not very good. Tom Hardy looked like he was having a great time, Michelle Williams was wasted and actually made to look like a bad actress thanks to the writing, the plot was pretty cliched and not that well constructed. Fun at times, but the boss fight at the end was pretty s**t. 6/10

Kong: Skull Island...another blockbuster, franchise film, but this was alright. Plenty of talent on show (Tom Hiddlestone, Brie Larson, Samuel L Jackson, John Goodman). Deliberately giving off Apocalypse Now vibes, while just letting monsters smash each other. 7/10

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I suppose that’s why they are some of the most highly watched and grossing films of all time. Cause they’ve release 9 and 21 films that are boring?
Please.

I love AC/DC. They have the biggest or second biggest selling album ever and one of the highest selling bands ever. All I ever hear from others is how it's all the same boring generic rock, song after song.

Why is it different if it's movies?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I go to some of the FnF movies. I go to see some MCU. It's became an event. They've become the modern millennial era take on James Bond. Like football though, like watching twenty games of footy a year, some are boring, but it's unlikely it will stop you watching the next one. It's unlikely it would stop all your mates going who you enjoy going to things with even if you're sceptical.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I have no idea what the appeal is, they are boring to me. An ability to sit mindlessly for 2 hours? A pressure to fit in to current pop-culture (don't want to miss out on water cooler chat)? Enjoy CGI explosions? The never ending Easter eggs? Obviously there's something entertaining about them to lots of people. However, that does not exclude people thinking they are boring? I mean, movies are subjective, to think that people having a different opinion to the masses is "out-there" is way more of an out-there take to me.
This is whole is at least as aggressive as saying “out there”.

I don’t take offence but you implied that “out there” was offensive.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Please.

I love AC/DC. They have the biggest or second biggest selling album ever and one of the highest selling bands ever. All I ever hear from others is how it's all the same boring generic rock, song after song.

Why is it different if it's movies?

It’s not...

I wouldn’t make that argument

This is whole is at least as aggressive as saying “out there”.

I don’t take offence but you implied that “out there” was offensive.
Haha far out, you love spinning yourself out with strawmen.
Maybe just read my words instead of making up implications.

Possibly some of the responses in this thread may show you that thinking MCU is boring, isn't quite as out there as you think.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Haha far out, you love spinning yourself out with strawmen.
Maybe just read my words instead of making up implications.

Possibly some of the responses in this thread may show you that thinking MCU is boring, isn't quite as out there as you think.

I did read your words, perhaps i read into them too much but then so did you. If its a strawman its yours.

I think 861 thousand votes on IMDB and $3b in box office is a better sample size than 10 blokes on BF.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
It’s not...

I wouldn’t make that argument
Most would. Bands are expected to mix it up. Even in official interviews and that AC/DC are mocked.

Nobody would ever go to Russo brothers 'so the new Captain America, same as the last one? More of the same?'

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Most would. Bands are expected to mix it up. Even in official interviews and that AC/DC are mocked.

Nobody would ever go to Russo brothers 'so the new Captain America, same as the last one? More of the same?'

Every Marvel movie is different but the keep the same DNA and continuity.

Id expect Bands to be the same. If i buy an AC/DC album and its pure pop, or Gregorian Throat Chanting id be pretty pissed off.

Cap 1, 2, 3 are all different with the same characters and arcs.

Honestly im not even sure what your point is.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just to be perfectly clear cause there seems to be a weird hybrid of arguments going on here.

The successful franchises (MCU and Fast) as the examples are absolutely open to criticism on all fronts, im purely discussing and noting that given we can all agree that in terms of pure QUALITY as Films ("art" etc) they are not the best.

Im saying in terms of Entertainment and Popularity, which i think are absolutely linked, by almost any metric they are absolute run away successes.

Alot of people watch them and alot of people watch them over and over and sequel after sequel. Thats not really up for debate.

If people are watching them, and paying to do so, given we know they have varying quality from "awful" to "okay" and rarely much better, why would they do that if they were not entertaining, or as has been put here "boring".

I cant think of any answer other than, they clearly are not boring.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
I’m aware that the majority if not all movies follow a fairly specific roadmap/formula to get from a-z the problem is with these movies, is that there are just so many, so they feel extremely similar, the market is absolutely saturated with them.
I get that but I also don’t want to be waiting five years for the next one in the same way people prefer to binge watch TV shows rather than wait a year in between.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Just to be perfectly clear cause there seems to be a weird hybrid of arguments going on here.

The successful franchises (MCU and Fast) as the examples are absolutely open to criticism on all fronts, im purely discussing and noting that given we can all agree that in terms of pure QUALITY as Films ("art" etc) they are not the best.

Im saying in terms of Entertainment and Popularity, which i think are absolutely linked, by almost any metric they are absolute run away successes.

Alot of people watch them and alot of people watch them over and over and sequel after sequel. Thats not really up for debate.

If people are watching them, and paying to do so, given we know they have varying quality from "awful" to "okay" and rarely much better, why would they do that if they were not entertaining, or as has been put here "boring".

The answer is that in their opinion, they are not boring. But in the opinion of others, they are boring. And I think the arguments for why they can be viewed as boring have been well made. To try and suggest they are objectively not boring is a fool's errand.

I mean you've got several people here already saying they think they're boring.

I think you struggle to accept others' opinions or the fact that movies are subjective.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I mean you've got several people here already saying they think they're boring.

I think you struggle to accept others' opinions or the fact that movies are subjective.
Not at all, you think they are boring, thats fine.

You dont seem to want to accept that must, purely by metric, is not the popular opinion.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The answer is that in their opinion, they are not boring. But in the opinion of others, they are boring. And I think the arguments for why they can be viewed as boring have been well made. To try and suggest they are objectively not boring is a fool's errand.
I dont think ive ever said otherwise, purely pointing out that "they are boring" is not the popular opinion and that ive presented a number of reasons to why that is absolutely the case.

If youd care to explain why these movies have made so much money and are (from a volume point of view) so popular in spite of them being "boring" im all ears.

Truthfully im genuinely curious. Im not asking this as a smart ass.

jackn

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2006
aus
AFL Club
Carlton
In the eyes of many, they are not. You're really seeming to struggle with the concept of differing opinions though. Neither you, nor anyone else, can say a movie is or is not boring. You can say you do not think they are boring. You can say millions of other people don't think they're boring. You cannot say they are clearly not boring unless you don't understand what boring represents.

I find soccer to be the most boring 90 minutes of sport imaginable. The world cup viewing figures would suggest many disagree.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
In the eyes of many, they are not. You're really seeming to struggle with the concept of differing opinions though. Neither you, nor anyone else, can say a movie is or is not boring. You can say you do not think they are boring. You can say millions of other people don't think they're boring. You cannot say they are clearly not boring unless you don't understand what boring is.

I find soccer to be the most boring 90 minutes of sport imaginable. The world cup viewing figures would suggest many disagree.
Yeh, im not at all. For the record ANYONE can say a movie is boring and anyone can disagree with that stance. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and in this isntance no opinion is "wrong".

Im saying the opinion that they are boring is not the popular opinion.

Not that its wrong, just that its pretty obviously not the general consensus.

Ill admit initially it came across much more as "Thats wrong" and the "odd take" stuff came across as such as well.

FWIW i agree on soccer but i also very openly admit im in the minority. Thats not a criticism of the minority either, just an acknowledgement im on the less supported side of that argument.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Every Marvel movie is different but the keep the same DNA and continuity.

Id expect Bands to be the same. If i buy an AC/DC album and its pure pop, or Gregorian Throat Chanting id be pretty pissed off.

Cap 1, 2, 3 are all different with the same characters and arcs.

Honestly im not even sure what your point is.

I think AC/DC are different too, some albums are more bluesy rock, others really raw, and some edge toward 80s hair metal, but I wander, and in general that's just you then, I think this time the majority of people think different. Are you saying when Queen went synth pop or Led Zeppelin done reggae, you wouldn't have like it? Would you renounce Metallica fandom when they went alt hard rock - actually bad example, metal is one area where bands are always expected and wanted to be the same, but I digress.

20 odd movies, and 9 FnFs in and each and every one is still celebrated by audiences and the business in what I reckon is an odd double standard - especially when the tide is turning away from 007 for the same reasons. Bit weird to me as an observer.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I even read that MCU music composers are instructed to not deviate from the normal sound, and that they don't want any themes overshadowing the Avengers main theme.

Believable, as a film score enthusiast, I can only remember two scores away from Avengers. Guardians of the Galaxy, which is basically the Avengers theme anyway, and very similar to the Kingsman movies, and Thor 3, which has some cool 80s synth to it. The DC movies and the non MCU marvel flicks have a better strike rate.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
All the Marvel or whatever other companies make those movies are just lame to me. All the Easter eggs and all that crap just stinks. I didn't hate Ironman when I watched it whenever it came out but I've got no interest in the newer stuff.

These movies being incredibly popular just feels like typical 2020 ADD smartphone culture imo. The 'entertainment' factor I'm assuming is the continual payoffs every 20 minutes by some new character appearing, two characters meeting for the first time or some sort of explosion or shootout isn't entertaining to me.

I like Scorcese's takes on these kinds of movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back