Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
All the Marvel or whatever other companies make those movies are just lame to me. All the Easter eggs and all that crap just stinks.

I abhor the Easter Egg thing. Imagine seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey and saying “Fun Easter egg - the obelisks aren’t just obelisks but mean great evolutionary changes in humanity”. What used to be imagery and symbolism to something thoughtful and intriguing has just become a shallow reference to a movie or text. And increasingly in this blockbuster film making it’s just a shallow reference to another text that doesn’t actually add anything real except the enjoyable feeling of “getting it”.

I actually like plenty of MCU movies but there are too many, and the familiarity is breeding contempt. Modern big budget studio film making is focus grouped within an inch of its life, and suffers for it dreadfully.

Opera, ballet, jazz - all of these niche arts today were once among the popular forms of their days, appealing to the bulk of audiences, before getting replaced. I can see cinema heading into the same direction, as people tire of these increasingly enormous but replicating blockbusters, and the rise of series binging (or something new) having the potential to take its place. The reaction to the Oscars, with people’s disgust at these movies they’ve never heard of, despite being one of the better quality slate of nominees there’s been in years, indicates there’s already a big disconnect that will likely only grow as we continue to have an infinite number of options, and platforms that lump together people who enjoy Ran with Doctor Strange.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
Honestly they didn’t even have to explain the world.
Yeah but if you grew up with the games, it’s easy for us to understand. They are trying to appeal to casual and new viewers too. That’s the hard thing sometimes with studio pressure because they want return for their investment.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah but if you grew up with the games, it’s easy for us to understand. They are trying to appeal to casual and new viewers too. That’s the hard thing sometimes with studio pressure because they want return for their investment.
Think the opening screen text does it fine.

I get your point and it would have worked if Cole wasn’t so average.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Think the opening screen text does it fine.
He was 100% the weakest aspect of the film. I haven’t seen him before but I found his character just so bland and boring that I didn’t care for him.
The rest of the film was pretty fun despite the obvious flaws. As mentioned, Kano was the standout.

Solid melts from old mate trying to defend his s**t boring super hero films.

Look I love the Bond franchise (especially in the Connery era when he has literally pumped 2-3 different girls before the opening credits even roll) but equally understand that people could find them utterly repetitive and the same movie over and over again with completely vapid nonsensical plots.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Solid melts from old mate trying to defend his sh*t boring super hero films.

Look I love the Bond franchise (especially in the Connery era when he has literally pumped 2-3 different girls before the opening credits even roll) but equally understand that people could find them utterly repetitive and the same movie over and over again with completely vapid nonsensical plots.
I love melting as much as the next bloke, at no point did I melt in here. Ultimately was a pretty pointless discussion but it never got above a whisper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Solid melts from old mate trying to defend his sh*t boring super hero films.

I don’t think he’s saying that. He’s just saying that the popularity of marvel and FF shows that many people do not find those types of movies boring.

Maccas is cheap and accessible.

If we could get a Michelin meal for around $10 and not have to leave our car to collect it, would people still eat McDonalds in the same numbers?
Fair point - though wonder how much difference the 'Angus' burgers had on the more articulate Maccas consumer.

Vincent Hanna

Premium Platinum
Mar 15, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Christmas Evil (1980) - starring Brandon Maggart as a loner who works in a toy factory and goes nuts one Christmas. He was scared for life when as a kid he sees Santa (his old man) getting on with his Mum. It looked like a classic low-budget slasher film of the time however, it is more a character study with some mild gore thrown in. I liked it more than I expected to but it isn't great. Written and Directed by Lewis Jackson. 6/10.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
So the last of the MCU currently, Endgame, made $3 billion and has 8.4 on IMDb.

By almost any measurable metric it is one of the most universally popular films ever made.

That doesn’t make it citizen Kane but I’d suggest if you don’t like it you are absolutely in the minority and if it was “boring” surely it wouldn’t have made that much money or have that sort of rating.

Poker machines make lots of money and have many people sitting at them for hours.

I'm glad people get joy out of them and can discuss them, etc. But like another poster said, it feels more like a product than a story or piece of art to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back