Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a bad idea - even a sub-forum called "Your last movie" or something like that might be good. It's more logical to red about one movie at a time. Not sure if too many threads would be created though?

There's a BigFooty Book Club sub forum. Why not a BigFooty Movie Club?

Hmm I often thought a multi threaded approach would be good for this thread, but that is messy.

Not a bad idea - even a sub-forum called "Your last movie" or something like that might be good. It's more logical to red about one movie at a time. Not sure if too many threads would be created though?

Overall I love this thread, it has given me so many good ideas for movies to watch that I would have otherwise not known about.

Agree. The thread has also put me onto lots of movies that I might have missed. I am usually on top of recent popular releases, but there's been plenty of great tips about older classics or obscure foreign language movies. But they are often the ones where the discussion is fragmented because there are five different 'What's the last movie you saw' threads. And lost in the fog because the thread content has all become 'general movie chat'. For example, the movie Hud (1963) is regarded as a classic but the conversation is split across many threads.

Maybe Chief's idea is a good one. If people are motivated they can create a thread and ask the mod to move any relevant posts.

I don't see a problem with too many threads. Or threads that don't initially get much response. Many movies become cult favourites many years after release. Some classics are reassessed in the light of modern day morality.

Stowaway

Netflix sci fi drama with Toni Collette, Daniel Day Kim and Anna Kendrick.

Real real average, just nothing to invest in character wise. So you do not care in the slightest about the stakes.

4/10 at best.

Muriel and Pitch Perfect go to space! Collette and Kendrick was awful casting.

The first few minutes were ok, until they found the stowaway, then it got real boring. By one hour in I was fast forwarding.

2/10

Extinction (Netflix)

For 55 minutes its a B movie with B movie actors - Then the rest of the time its still a B movie but with an A movie twist

Alien invasion movie that really relies on the twist and so doesnt rise to any level

I kept wondering how it would look and feel with a few more dollars thrown at it

Saturday night filler that will be forgotten

5/10

The Father - went in expecting Oscar bait sickness movie a la Philadelphia but ended with something far more powerful and intriguing. Telling the story of an older man suffering from dementia from his confused point of view makes for a narrative masterstroke and makes for a far more fresh and ultimately moving film. Anthony Hopkins fully deserved his acting Oscar, and I can't fathom how it didn't win for Best Editing. A great film, and while I was emotionally impacted by it, the loud sobbing of the old man behind me once the credits came up moved me even moreso.

Collective - nominated for Oscars for both Best International Film and Best Documentary, this shows the aftermath of a 2015 fire in a Bucharest nightclub that killed 27 people, only for a further 37 to die in hospital over subsequent months despite many not having life threatening burns. The first half of the film shows a sports daily newspaper leading the way in investigating this, and was honestly thrilling and intriguing as they uncover the corruption that led to this horrendous nightclub. In the wake of scandal the Health Minister resigns, and the new Health Minister appointed in the wake becomes the primary focus of the second half of the movie, which I didn't think worked as well - it is difficult to make a documentary about politics without it feeling like propaganda, and this suffered for that (I of course know little about Romanian politics so when implied allegations that he is attempting to corporatise the public health system is dismissed without any investigation or explanation by the film, I wondered how much of this was a hagiography of the politician, not my favourite genre). Still compelling, and extremely well made, and a depressing insight into Romanian politics and corruption. Get somewhere else if you get sick travelling in Romania!

1917...wonderfully directed and shot film, moving at times, but goes off on little tangents and doesn't really tell us anything about war that other movies haven't done before and better. Read some of the criticisms about its accuracy and how it gives the leaders far more credit than they deserve, which is probably valid. Still, 7.5/10.

Nomadland- ok Frances is fantastic as normal and the whole strange world of these people has some fascination, but this film just plods along and nothing really happens. It sort of pointless really and a bit dull.

I read a review on IMDB where someone said that you could run the film’s scenes in reverse and it wouldn’t really make much difference. I agree totally.

I’ll give it 5/10 but I give the warning that a lot of people will hate it.

Fact: the title of the movie is from that case of campus rape (the one behind a dumpster and some guys came along and stopped it)- as the judge called him a "Promising Young Man"

Makes you wanna ******* puke dont it.

Agree with most what you said there. I knew he wasnt a VFL player just said it cos... easier. Idk. So you'd know exactly what I was talking about.

That’s excellent background, wasn’t aware of that. Watched this last night and powerful movie, Mulligan was great….but ….

Not sure why Ryan wanted to link up with her though especially as he was quite aware of her and her friends background when they met in the shop

This. The only movie I ever walked out on was a multi superhero one, probably about decade ago? Can't remember the name.

I don't know if it was necessarily bad, but I just found it completely non-engaging. I didn't care about any of the characters, the plot didn't really seem clear to me, there was no tension/conflict, ... I dunno.... it was like being in a conversation with a clique and you've got no idea what they are talking about.

It's almost an entertainment form of itself separate to cinema, and some people love it but it makes no sense to outsiders. The best comparison I can make is horse racing as a sport. I love sport and I love horse racing but I can totally get those people who like other sports being bored shitless by horse racing, because without context, it's just a bunch of animals no different to each other running fast.
Sounds like Suicide Squad to me.

Nomadland- ok Frances is fantastic as normal and the whole strange world of these people has some fascination, but this film just plods along and nothing really happens. It sort of pointless really and a bit dull.

I read a review on IMDB where someone said that you could run the film’s scenes in reverse and it wouldn’t really make much difference. I agree totally.

I’ll give it 5/10 but I give the warning that a lot of people will hate it.
I agree that mostly nothing much happens, but it is done so beautifully (cinematography, score, acting) that it is still enjoyable.

I agree there wasn't a point for much of the movie but it all ties together at the end with Frances last conversation with the guy who runs the trailer town about her husband. The whole movie was about sorrow, loss and grieving. However it wasn't that clear until that conversation (and the subsequent return to the town/house she left).

I agree that mostly nothing much happens, but it is done so beautifully (cinematography, score, acting) that it is still enjoyable.

I agree there wasn't a point for much of the movie but it all ties together at the end with Frances last conversation with the guy who runs the trailer town about her husband. The whole movie was about sorrow, loss and grieving. However it wasn't that clear until that conversation (and the subsequent return to the town/house she left).
Yes those things are the reason I gave it a pass at 5/10. There’s just a lack of anything to really grip you along the journey imho.
In regard to your spoiler I agree that’s what it’s all about. 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every time I watch American Beauty it makes me re-evaluate my priorities in life. I know it's hard to watch Kevin Spacey play a creep in a movie for obvious reasons but I still find it to be a beautiful film.

I know I’m mostly on my own here but I just can’t. The score is ridiculous, sounds like a panto of a bad horror movie and it dials it up to 12 from the first scene. It’s all overreacted (Williams and ruffalo do okay). The twist is telegraphed and by the time the big reveal is done the sheer concept of what’s happening is beyond ludicrous. Save for one 10ish minute stretch in the flashback with Leo and Williams (which is excellent) the whole thing is laughable.

It’s pretty universally lauded and highly rated but I just don’t get it.

I know I’m mostly on my own here but I just can’t. The score is ridiculous, sounds like a panto of a bad horror movie and it dials it up to 12 from the first scene. It’s all overreacted (Williams and ruffalo do okay). The twist is telegraphed and by the time the big reveal is done the sheer concept of what’s happening is beyond ludicrous. Save for one 10ish minute stretch in the flashback with Leo and Williams (which is excellent) the whole thing is laughable.

It’s pretty universally lauded and highly rated but I just don’t get it.
Agreed, incredibly average film.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Found it on Disney plus of all places.

Full on, it’s a story about a woman trying to find her daughters killer, and heavily implying the police didn’t do enough during the investigation.

Great cast Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell..
Without giving too much away, it’s definitely a little gem I’am glad I found. Recommend.

Deliverance 1972 - Stan

Another movie I hadnt seen in a very long time - though the high spots were remembered through repetition between us young males at the time and 15 years after

While it is cinematically shot very well - I'm not sure the story cuts through as much today as it did back then.

There seems to be a conflict between the masculinity and hierarchy and the environment and destruction of it

Ned Beatty and Ronny Cox debut and Cox is much better than Beatty who lacks proper emotional turmoil at critical times. Burt Reynolds plays the alpha survivalist type well but it is Voight who grows as the movie goes on.

I would have liked to have seen more wider shots of the landscape but the claustrophobia of the rapids and river works just as well

7/10
All time classic.

I'd rate it an 8.5.

Great to know it's on Stan as I need to rewatch it.

1917...wonderfully directed and shot film, moving at times, but goes off on little tangents and doesn't really tell us anything about war that other movies haven't done before and better. Read some of the criticisms about its accuracy and how it gives the leaders far more credit than they deserve, which is probably valid. Still, 7.5/10.
Starts off awesome but completely jumps the shark the moment the plane crashes next to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back