Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
the “everything wrong with” series is just a bit of harmless fun. They do them for classics and trash alike.
Fair enough. I hadn’t actually seen that one as was talking more generally. Threads here have been ruined by people posting video after video of what’s wrong with a certain tv show or movie.

Knives Out (2019)

One of those 'seems pretty cool at the time' movies, but when you go back and analyse it's just convoluted as hell and people acting way out of character.

1 example - Why did Private Investigator Daniel Craig put on headphones and music in the car, whilst his number 1 suspect randomly went to collect a mysterious package out of the blue without tracing her?

Why did Benoit spend days at the estate before he interviewed the Mother?

Why did he have the power to randomly stay at the house with no legal authority? PI's are not the law. Fundamentally flawed from the beginning.

Pretty much a classic nonsensical Rian Johnson movie

Craig dropping in and out of a British accent and sounding like Foghorn Leghorn was also eye-rolling. Why couldn't they just make him British?

This wasn't set during the Pandemic. People are still allowed to travel Internationally

Worth a watch? Yes, but don't expect any real satisfaction from the viewing.
Funny. i felt like this when i first watched it, then decided to give it another go and liked it better. You are right about Daniel Craig, his accent took off two points in my rating of the movie.

Snowtown (Stan)

Still holds up

Showing the abject poverty and seeming hopelessness really brings home the wolf and the sheep metaphor

Bunting was no crusader. He was a killer and just used his 'cause' to bring others into it

Great performance by all
Maybe it’s the reality of the movie but I absolutely hate it. Just a literal retelling of a story no one asked to be retold with a mildly artistic feel.

In my opinion one of the most perfect action horror films.

I also like how the first bit is a standard action movie, then the transition to action horror movie is done well, and you only see the villain in all its glory close to the end. Wish there were more movies like it.
Remember watching the DVD commentary saying it wasn't very popular on release, which stunned me. No second of screen time is wasted, the action scenes are absolutely sensational and superior to stuff today, and just the perfect simple story. Amazing movie

Yeh, they are sh*t.

the everything wrong with and honest trailers are pretty funny
Honest trailers can go for like seven minutes. Find they all drag on too much past the point where the concept stays funny. A shame because if they could keep it to actual trailer length I'd quite like it

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Maybe it’s the reality of the movie but I absolutely hate it. Just a literal retelling of a story no one asked to be retold with a mildly artistic feel.
That's a fair comment and the ' they were poor' excuse doesn't hold up.

What it should do and does is highlight that Bunting was a killer with no remorse but an ability to spin a yarn

Ability to spin a yarn if you're a lower class uneducated generationally unemployed redneck.

Wasn't exactly Ted Bundy in the charismatic murderer stakes.

Ability to spin a yarn if you're a lower class uneducated generationally unemployed redneck.

Wasn't exactly Ted Bundy in the charismatic murderer stakes.

Most murderers aren’t Ted Bundy, Patrick Bateman or Hannibal Lecter. They’re probably uneducated lower class people.

I thought this was a pretty terrifying depiction of an underclass, that if you live in a capital city, is probably not all that far from you. Genuinely unsettling, which is a good thing...once in a while.

Knives Out (2019)

One of those 'seems pretty cool at the time' movies, but when you go back and analyse it's just convoluted as hell and people acting way out of character.

1 example - Why did Private Investigator Daniel Craig put on headphones and music in the car, whilst his number 1 suspect randomly went to collect a mysterious package out of the blue without tracing her?

Why did Benoit spend days at the estate before he interviewed the Mother?

Why did he have the power to randomly stay at the house with no legal authority? PI's are not the law. Fundamentally flawed from the beginning.

Pretty much a classic nonsensical Rian Johnson movie

Craig dropping in and out of a British accent and sounding like Foghorn Leghorn was also eye-rolling. Why couldn't they just make him British?

This wasn't set during the Pandemic. People are still allowed to travel Internationally

Worth a watch? Yes, but don't expect any real satisfaction from the viewing.

Had high hopes but it sucked and dragged on for way too long.

To Catch A Thief. Not the best Hitchcock film but it is one of my favourites and Grace Kelly is stunning, perhaps the best she looked on screen. Although I’m not going to argue with anyone who selects Rear Window.

Commercials every six or seven minutes is ruining it a little this time though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw Jack Snyders Justice League. Brilliant. Worth watching before they completely destroy the franchise with woke crap.

Cliff Walkers - a spy thriller, directed by Zhang Yimou (Raise the Red Lantern, Hero, House of Flying Daggers), this follows four Soviet-trained Chinese spies infiltrate the Japanese-occupied region of northern China in the 1930s, on a secret mission to extract a prisoner who they hope can expose the horrors of the Japanese occupation. The period design and cinematography of this is magnificent, truly a gorgeous movie to behold, with the constant snowfall giving much of the film a vibrant brightness. As a result of the constant snowfall, the introductory scenes have all the characters heavily rugged up with their faces deeply obscured, which kept some level of confusion well into the movie around face recognition. Perhaps this was to some extent intended, as Zhang clearly wanted to channel Le Carre with moles, double agents and espionage. It probably never really hits fifth gear, but still a very enjoyable spy movie.

Dream Horse - Toni Collette and Damian Lewis star in a true story about Welsh townspeople who collectively invest in a racehorse as an escape from the mundanity of their small town working class life, that unexpectedly shows promise as a success story. This followed a very feel good formula and is no doubt a pleasant crowd pleaser of a movie. Side issues around the story, such as the ethically questions around horse racing and the dangers of irresponsible gambling, feature as narrative points that the movie clearly doesn't want you to dwell on. Because of these I couldn't help but feel an underlying and growing sense of unease throughout the film around these, which made the "feel good" nature of the film ring a little hollow for mine.

The Dry - pretty good. Tense building whodunnit thriller. Eric Bana was really good as were the supporting cast but the Victorian (I think?) bush was the real star, great setting for thriller/horrors. I will say I found the character list a bit hard to track at times. 8/10

Boss Level - good dirty immensely violent Groundhog Day fun. Frank Grillo looks better at 56 than just about any human on the planet, whatever he’s on I want it. 8/10

I watched Oldboy last Sunday. Just randomly chose it and had never heard of it before, mostly because I love Josh Brolin. Was surprised when I saw in the opening credits that it was based off a Korean film.
I don't really get the low IMDB rating of the movie, I thought it was pretty good. I'd say 7.5/10. Brolin was great and the twist was really unpredictable and came out of nowhere. Got sucked in and expected the usual happy type ending but wow. One of those endings that rocks you for a few days. ****ed lol.
So many big random actors in this movie too though, obviously Samuel L., Rami Malek, and of course the great Michael Imperioli was fantastic. Highly recommend but one of those movies you watch once I reckon.

I watched Oldboy last Sunday. Just randomly chose it and had never heard of it before, mostly because I love Josh Brolin. Was surprised when I saw in the opening credits that it was based off a Korean film.
I don't really get the low IMDB rating of the movie, I thought it was pretty good. I'd say 7.5/10. Brolin was great and the twist was really unpredictable and came out of nowhere. Got sucked in and expected the usual happy type ending but wow. One of those endings that rocks you for a few days. f’ed lol.
So many big random actors in this movie too though, obviously Samuel L., Rami Malek, and of course the great Michael Imperioli was fantastic. Highly recommend but one of those movies you watch once I reckon.
Probably gets a low rating because the original is highly regarded.

Bout half way through Army of the Dead and I think it's about to take a massive nosedive, and I was really enjoying it til now.

Just at the part where they move the bomb drop forward, so now there's about five plots going on at once at once all of a sudden and it's way too much

Is that how it ends up for others who didn't like it, or did yous not like it from the start?

Bout half way through Army of the Dead and I think it's about to take a massive nosedive, and I was really enjoying it til now.

Just at the part where they move the bomb drop forward, so now there's about five plots going on at once at once all of a sudden and it's way too much

Is that how it ends up for others who didn't like it, or did yous not like it from the start?
I found it pretty slow from the get go and the multiple story lines and lack of "fun" made it more effort than it was worth.

I found it pretty slow from the get go and the multiple story lines and lack of "fun" made it more effort than it was worth.
Nah I'm really enjoying it so far and think it has been fun, but right now I reckon it but went too far introducing three new plots in about ten minutes.

I don't mind a slower burn movie that tries to introduce a bit of drama to an ultimately disposable flick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back