Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dressmaker - weird kind of black comedy, Australian film, I really liked this one, excellent performance by Judy Davis, Kate winslet is just about the only actor that I’ve seen get an Aussie accent pretty spot on. 7.5/10

Gemini man - will smith, ang lee is the director, this was enjoyable as a popcorn movie, the cgi was so bad though.. can switch the brain off for two hours 6/10

willy’s wonderland - Nicolas cage weirdness, I liked it, clearly based on a video game five nights at Freddy’s, which I heard they are doing an actual movie on 6/10

Control - this one was great as well, based Ian Curtis, the singer from joy division, another really good performance in this one from the guy portraying Ian Curtis, a little dark but great nevertheless 7.5/10

Spider-Man: Into the spider verse - I was shocked at how good this was, I loved it, the best Spider-Man movie 8/10

The dressmaker - weird kind of black comedy, Australian film, I really liked this one, excellent performance by Judy Davis, Kate winslet is just about the only actor that I’ve seen get an Aussie accent pretty spot on. 7.5/10

Gemini man - will smith, ang lee is the director, this was enjoyable as a popcorn movie, the cgi was so bad though.. can switch the brain off for two hours 6/10

willy’s wonderland - Nicolas cage weirdness, I liked it, clearly based on a video game five nights at Freddy’s, which I heard they are doing an actual movie on 6/10

Control - this one was great as well, based Ian Curtis, the singer from joy division, another really good performance in this one from the guy portraying Ian Curtis, a little dark but great nevertheless 7.5/10

Spider-Man: Into the spider verse - I was shocked at how good this was, I loved it, the best Spider-Man movie 8/10
+1 for the dressmaker. Great fun.

Ham on Rye - Strange little coming-of-age story that sort of makes you fill in the gaps. No way to really explain it other than by saying that it's as much about the people that don't end up leaving their hometown/suburbia as the ones that do. 7/10

Mainstream - Watch it if you want to see Andrew Garfield on one, but that's as far as I can recommend it. The perils of social media and influencer culture but like written by either a 12-year-old or an 80-year-old. 5/10

Dev Patel does a pretty amazing job of the Aussie accent in Lion. Haven't seen the film yet but Caleb Landry-Jones, an American, just won best actor at Cannes for his portrayal of Martin Bryant in 'Nitram' so I imagine he's done a pretty good job of it.

Into the Spiderverse was great, love how it really had that comic book feel and there was also a lot of clever things done like the frame rate of Miles when he's first learning to swing is at 12 fps versus Peter Parker's being at 24 fps being a lot more fluid to show he's more experienced compared to Miles.

Lapsis: stumbled across this low budget sci fi at Nova, such a pleasant surprise. Set in an 'alternate present' in the sense that most of the technology could exist today, shitty robots etc. Lots of commentary on the gig economy (big tech companies exploiting workers who work via an app), but done in a way that was funny and that felt quite realistic. Great fun 4/5

First Cow: A24 again deliver one of the best movies I have seen recently. Will be too slow for some - took me about 20 mins to adjust to the pace - but I loved being transported to life on the frontier in early 1800s, folks just hustling to get ahead. Really well made, sweet and funny. Couldn't fault it so it's 5/5

Eighth Grade... coming of age story from comedian Bo Burnham, gentle comedy, very sweet at times, very sad at others. Very assured effort from someone who doesn't come from a film background and some great performances, especially the dad. 8/10

Gunpowder Milkshake... entertaining but very derivative of John Wick and Sin City. Enough fun if you're willing to forget it's a bit of a pastiche, maybe 7/10, 6.5 if you can't forget.

Under the Skin on SBS on demand. What a weird film. Always give credit to a horror that’s a bit original, it looks great and there are some genuinely unsettling moments here. It’s just sooooo slow. 7/10.
I really enjoyed it. Was so different. Final scene is insane. 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched it. It was okay, well made, but...
the plot made little to no sense.

Preferred Mandy for recent era Cage.

Really? Thought the plot was fine, had me hooked the whole way.
Loss, grief, bit of betrayal & denial thrown in for kicks.

Haven't seen Mandy so will check it out, will admit to avoiding most of Cage's stuff given some of the garbage he's been in for years now but Pig showed (for me) if he's a bit more particular about the roles he takes on, he can finish off his career with dignity.

Last edited:
Keen to hear some thoughts on Gunpowder Milkshake if anyone sees it over the weekend. Not sure whether to go see it or not.

Not great. Terrible dialogue, some action sequences were good, but some were awful, the blood was so fake looking (though that may have been intentional). Gillan, in one sequence, moved like De Niro in The Irishman. I like her but not convincing at all as a lead assassin; it should've been Michelle Yeoh instead.

Not great. Terrible dialogue, some action sequences were good, but some were awful, the blood was so fake looking (though that may have been intentional). Gillan, in one sequence, moved like De Niro in The Irishman. I like her but not convincing at all as a lead assassin; it should've been Michelle Yeoh instead.

I'll give it a miss. Keen for the Matt Damon movie soon.

I've always hated this franchise, but almost everyone I know seems to love the movies. Paul Walker's death was ironic and stupidly preventable; it isn't a celebrity death that ever upset me, unlike Robin Williams or Chadwick.

I enjoyed the original movie but have never understood how it became the franchise it did.

Death Proof - forgot how brutal this movie is. Has one of the most bizarre open credits to a movie. 6.5/10

"That's too bad cause now you need to start getting scared immediately".

Gunpowder Milkshake.

If you took the violence and storytelling of Tarantino, the colour scheme of Wes Anderson, horribly written dialogue and threw it all into a blender topped off with an obvious feminist lean you'd have Gunpowder Milkshake. If that appeals, and if you want something that you can switch off when watching it's worth a look, but otherwise it's a middle of the road B grade flick.

Really? Thought the plot was fine, had me hooked the whole way.
Loss, grief, bit of betrayal & denial thrown in for kicks.

Haven't seen Mandy so will check it out, will admit to avoiding most of Cage's stuff given some of the garbage he's been in for years now but Pig showed (for me) if he's a bit more particular about the roles he takes on, he can finish off his career with dignity.
Finish off his career? He's in his 50s, he's for at least decade left.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Finish off his career? He's in his 50s, he's for at least decade left.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Yeah & had been in one rubbish flick after the other for how long. Cage is a very good actor, LLV is one of my all time favourites so it's been a pity how its played out, hopefully he's turned a corner.

Red Dawn (1984) - pretty fun Cold War movie about a bunch of kids who hide out in the Colorado mountains to survive a Russian/Cuban invasion of the US. Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen, Powers Boothe, Harry Dean Stanton.
7-10.

View attachment 1180550
I watched that a couple weeks ago, great movie, great young cast, the remake was ok, but no where near as good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back