Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Pretty much all comic book movies are action/adventure movies, some with a little sci-fi or fantasy thrown in.

The Batman is definitely an action movie, though it also adds mystery thriller elements.
Literally just because you posting the above reminded me of this movie's existence
1652666533175.png

Sketi

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2011
depreston
AFL Club
Sydney
Hmmmm, maybe, feel like the ratios are pretty low. Se7en has chases and fights and it’s not an action movie.
Seven is also way more twisted and creepy.

The whole final act of The Batman is pretty overblown action imo.

Nolan Batmans I would call action too and I see the new one in a similar vein.

Sketi

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2011
depreston
AFL Club
Sydney
Home with COVID, being sick always puts me in the mood for rom coms. Vulnerable :p

Watched Crazy, Stupid, Love last night which was actually pretty good, great little ensemble cast (Steve Carrell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone).

Any more recommendations along the lines of the above? Really liked Palm Springs, Crazy Rich Asians, Long Shot etc. Obviously there is a lot of trash in the genre but there are some gems. Don't mind a Seth Roganesque romp, your Knocked Ups of the world etc.

Home with COVID, being sick always puts me in the mood for rom coms. Vulnerable :p

Watched Crazy, Stupid, Love last night which was actually pretty good, great little ensemble cast (Steve Carrell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone).

Any more recommendations along the lines of the above? Really liked Palm Springs, Crazy Rich Asians, Long Shot etc. Obviously there is a lot of trash in the genre but there are some gems. Don't mind a Seth Roganesque romp, your Knocked Ups of the world etc.

Love, Actually - I stand by it even if some of the plot lines would be questionable nowadays.

Love, Actually - I stand by it even if some of the plot lines would be questionable nowadays.
Yeah multiple bad elements, like mostly miserable stuff but people love the idea of love so it works

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Forgetting Sarah Marshall
The Big Sick
Definitely, Maybe

If you like Emma Stone then try Easy A, if you like Steve Carell try Date Night or Dan In Real Life

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors, Dallas, Liverpool

I’ve enjoyed-
Before Trilogy
Ruby Sparks
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Breakfast At Tiffany’s

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The Northman - In the bag for Eggers and this is easily his biggest work to date. A visual feast, there's some truly wild imagery and scenes, yet it is probably his most accessible film. The story is pretty straightforward - basically Hamlet - Kidman and Claes Bang are the standout performances. There's probably a version of this that goes full tilt into the Nordic mysticism, but at the end of the day this is still the type of film that makes you want to scale a fort with an axe. 8/10

I was watching this thinking it's a Viking version of Hamlet but it turns out that Shakespeare based his play on a old story about a Prince called Amleth.

I loved all the Norse rituals. It's got a great soundtrack - I had the volume set to 11.

7/10

Does The Seven Samurai count as an action movie?

(One of the greatest movies ever made so probably not fair to compare.)

Good call. I watched it for the first time last year. You can see how it set template for many of the mordern action movies.

Sketi

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2011
depreston
AFL Club
Sydney
Uncut Gems

If you're feeling up for something high stress, this is actually a lot of fun. Always love Adam Sandler in a serious role. The basketball betting stuff with Kevin Garnett was hilarious.

8/10

JennyTaylor

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
Started watching the Big Lebwoski. Got 30 minutes in and didnt laugh once. So much for the high ratings on imdb and rotten tomatoes.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
It's a movie you either get or you don't.

I didn't get it either.

Unfortunately though there's heaps of people that find the idea that others don't get it, unfathomable.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2007
Supercoach Hell
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando magic Baltimore Ravens

Definately Love, Actually like mentioned below.
Nic and Norahs infinate playlist is my ultimate guilty pleasure movie
Always be my maybe was surprisingly nice.
Whats your number?
Before we Go
He's just not that into you

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal

The Map of Tiny Perfect Things is brilliant.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Started watching the Big Lebwoski. Got 30 minutes in and didnt laugh once. So much for the high ratings on imdb and rotten tomatoes.
I didn't like it at all the first time I tried to watch it but it grew on me.

Whilst still not a favourite or anything it's pretty funny in parts.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think if I’d gone in expecting a straight comedy, I’d have been disappointed too… it’s primarily a character study

For me the humour comes mostly from how the characters are juxtaposed against the Chandleresque setting

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Not a conventional rom-com but it's a love story with plenty of comedy moments.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Not a conventional rom-com but it's a love story with plenty of comedy moments.

One of my favourite movies of all time, but definitely would not put it in the rom-com category.

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors, Dallas, Liverpool
Yeah that’s an awesome one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back