Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jatz

Premium Platinum
Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leicester City, Philadelphia Eagles
I must admit, I don't completely understand the hype around the Big Lebowski.

Didn't think it was the masterpiece it's made out to be. Thought it was alright.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
TBL is one of those films that knows exactly what it is trying to be, and does it really well

The Coen brothers are really good at doing that, I don’t like every film they’ve made but I struggle to think of one that was poorly executed

In its own way that is very satisfying

Sketi

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2011
depreston
AFL Club
Sydney
Re: The Big Lebowski, feel like you had to be there. It was such a part of the culture 20-30 years ago, so most people who love it also have that element of nostalgia.

Also comedy is probably the most subjective genre there is, it's a very specific type of humour which isn't going to gel with everyone.

HeathComeBack

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I love Coen Brothers films but they also made one of the worst movies ever, Intolerable Cruelty is very well named

edgie

TheBrownDog
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Palm Springs is one of the best recent movies I've seen. Out of all movies.

I'd like to try and write a timeloop film but one that takes place across a larger timeframe. Like a year that loops or so. Where people really have to live and suffer the consequences for a while of their behaviour. Where there's a balance between there is no tomorrow, but also, there kinda is.

Forward Press

Hall of Famer
Jul 5, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd
Palm Springs is one of the best recent movies I've seen. Out of all movies.

I'd like to try and write a timeloop film but one that takes place across a larger timeframe. Like a year that loops or so. Where people really have to live and suffer the consequences for a while of their behaviour. Where there's a balance between there is no tomorrow, but also, there kinda is.

The scene with JK Simmons and Andy Samberg's characters talking in his yard is hands down one of the best takes on life I've ever heard. It stayed with me:

I had a lot of anger towards you, man. I mean, I’m not going to see my kids grow up, never gonna walk little Libby down the aisle. I guess I had my head up my own ass. I mean, I didn’t really comprehend what I was putting you through. That little stint in the hospital really opened my eyes, though. This was always a good day here. You know. My wife in the prime of her womanhood. Little Joey tending his dog s**t. Libby’s gonna do a family portrait later this afternoon where we’re all animals. I’m a cuddly grizzly bear. I mean, it doesn’t get any better than that. You gotta find your Irvine.

edgie

TheBrownDog
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
The scene with JK Simmons and Andy Samberg's characters talking in his yard is hands down one of the best takes on life I've ever heard. It stayed with me:

The fleeting moments of darkness, despair, and desperation too truly help support the comedy. It is really well balanced, and the shift in the middle of the movie when it goes from comedy to more of a drama, the sudden shift, feels really powerful. The whole thing stayed with me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gralin

Super Moderator
Apr 8, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
If we're talking time loop movies
iu

Jatz

Premium Platinum
Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leicester City, Philadelphia Eagles
Thought Palm Springs was quite good for what it was. Obviously low budget but quite an engaging flick.

Herne Hill Hammer

Premium Platinum
Jun 22, 2008
Cowes
AFL Club
Geelong
Home with COVID, being sick always puts me in the mood for rom coms. Vulnerable :p

Watched Crazy, Stupid, Love last night which was actually pretty good, great little ensemble cast (Steve Carrell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone).

Any more recommendations along the lines of the above? Really liked Palm Springs, Crazy Rich Asians, Long Shot etc. Obviously there is a lot of trash in the genre but there are some gems. Don't mind a Seth Roganesque romp, your Knocked Ups of the world etc.

Looking for a friend for the end of the world.

Doc Hollywood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad