Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

I love Basterds. Pretty much the only Tarantino movie I like tbh.

Basterds was a very different type of movie for me - on the first watch, there were scenes I enjoyed (the opening scene, the bar scene, the scene with mike myers, the strudel scene) and the others i didn't particularly care for (the last stanza was pure revenge fantasy and didn't care much for it).

Overall as a movie, the flow was not particularly good - almost like the film was an anthology of standalone scenes rather then joined together well.

This being said, I could watch those specific scenes almost like individual episodes which were just fantastic.

Watched a couple of disaster flicks on FTA last week (man, the 90s was peak for disaster movies)

Dante's Peak
Very enjoyable, I like this movie a lot. James Bond plays a volcanologist? Is that a thing? The right word? That comes down to check on a volcano believing it about to erupt. He meets mayor of the town Sarah Connor and in the process. Then his bosses are like nah, you're out of line, then they're like, no, you were right, s**t is about to hit the fan, and it does, and James Bond and Sarah Connor find themselves in a few sticky situations trying to rescue her family and escape.

Really good, cracking pace, excellent effects that haven't aged at all, just a good entertaining watch.

7.5/10

Deep Impact
Definitely more of a drama than the previous, which leans more toward action-adventure. Teenage Frodo Baggins accidently discovers a meteor heading straight toward Earth certain to cause extinction. The rest of the film has a few different leads in different stories. Frodo as the normal kid in the normal family, Morgan Freeman as the President, Tia Maria as a journalist, and Robert Duvall as an astronaut leading a mission to destroy it. A good watch, though more of a drag than the above. Definitely better than Armageddon which is was compared to at the time given the similarity. Effects more dated than the above, but ah, not bad.

6.5/10​

Reading the wiki for both of these and they were received quite averagely, man, were critics a lot harsher back then? Both better films than most of the MCU or FnF franchises for instance, which are now celebrated releases.

Bowraville Murders on SBS

Like I remember some of it from the news coverage when I was growing up, and I knew some of the story of what had happened over the 31 years since but not how much of what went down and what happened with double jeopardy laws because of it etc

Well worth a watch

Watched a couple of disaster flicks on FTA last week (man, the 90s was peak for disaster movies)

Dante's Peak
Very enjoyable, I like this movie a lot. James Bond plays a volcanologist? Is that a thing? The right word? That comes down to check on a volcano believing it about to erupt. He meets mayor of the town Sarah Connor and in the process. Then his bosses are like nah, you're out of line, then they're like, no, you were right, sh*t is about to hit the fan, and it does, and James Bond and Sarah Connor find themselves in a few sticky situations trying to rescue her family and escape.

Really good, cracking pace, excellent effects that haven't aged at all, just a good entertaining watch.

7.5/10

Deep Impact
Definitely more of a drama than the previous, which leans more toward action-adventure. Teenage Frodo Baggins accidently discovers a meteor heading straight toward Earth certain to cause extinction. The rest of the film has a few different leads in different stories. Frodo as the normal kid in the normal family, Morgan Freeman as the President, Tia Maria as a journalist, and Robert Duvall as an astronaut leading a mission to destroy it. A good watch, though more of a drag than the above. Definitely better than Armageddon which is was compared to at the time given the similarity. Effects more dated than the above, but ah, not bad.

6.5/10​

Reading the wiki for both of these and they were received quite averagely, man, were critics a lot harsher back then? Both better films than most of the MCU or FnF franchises for instance, which are now celebrated releases.
Both of these were two of my favourite movies as a kid. Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones also another good entertaining disaster flick.

Both of these were two of my favourite movies as a kid. Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones also another good entertaining disaster flick.

I only watched that once, in school I think.

I remember it being more about Tommy Lee Jones sweating a lot trying to blockade a slow moving stream of lava from a volcano that appeared outta nowhere.

I only watched that once, in school I think.

I remember it being more about Tommy Lee Jones sweating a lot trying to blockade a slow moving stream of lava from a volcano that appeared outta nowhere.
Armageddon

Favourite 90s disaster movie, always gets me at the end. Shed a tear

Dante's Peak
Very enjoyable, I like this movie a lot. James Bond plays a volcanologist? Is that a thing? The right word? That comes down to check on a volcano believing it about to erupt. He meets mayor of the town Sarah Connor and in the process. Then his bosses are like nah, you're out of line, then they're like, no, you were right, sh*t is about to hit the fan, and it does, and James Bond and Sarah Connor find themselves in a few sticky situations trying to rescue her family and escape.

7.5/10

Deep Impact

6.5/10​

From memory these were both the "inferior" release.

Dantes Peak was the same time as Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones and Deep Impact was the same time as Armageddon.

Dantes Peak is miles better than Volcano but i do have a soft spot for Armageddon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EFA.

Con Air is better than Face/Off

thumbsup-goodluck.gif

Two convos for me.

Dantes Peak and Deep Impact v Volacano and Armageddon

Then Armageddon isnt as good as Con Air (both being big budget disaster movies in the 90s) as the link

Then comparison of Nic Cages great action movie run.
“Outbreak” beats them all and has a huge rewatchable factor about it. Hoffman and Russo A1 actors while the supporting cast is just huge.

Even more viewable again considering the Covid world pandemic we are currently in.

“Outbreak” beats them all and has a huge rewatchable factor about it. Hoffman and Russo A1 actors while the supporting cast is just huge.

Even more viewable again considering the Covid world pandemic we are currently in.
Yehhhhh, nah. Outbreak is dull, real dull. Contagion works well because it doesnt do the "patient zero" thing as the only storyline.

Rock

Face/Off
Con Air

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
I disagree on 2 and 3 but i can live with it.

They are all a bit… average. No higher than a 7/10, way to pass the time. Don’t hit the peaks of ‘80s action or even Speed from earlier that decade.
Strong disagree, but I don't want to get sidetracked from disaster flicks.

How good is twister?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Its scary to think how "real" Outbreak feels now in the current world.

At the time when I first watched it, I thought BS that this could ever happen. :$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back