Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Dune
Pretty much a masterpiece. Perfectly casted, beautifully shot. Special effects amazing.

I do wonder though if it could have been better if I hadn’t read the book and knew how every scene was going to end.

10/10 film
9/10 for my own enjoyment
I’ve never read the book but I have seen the 80s lynch version, barelt remember it to be fair.

Seeing it next week.

I listened to the rewatchables podcast for Rain Man the other day and they kept talking about Pauline Kaels review of the film and especially its opening line.

A18E4685-4200-4ECE-AD5E-1FFE6CDA691D.jpeg

Bearing in mind Rain Man was the best picture, best director and best actor Oscar winner for that year it’s a pretty staggering review.

Anyway I rewatched it last night, it’s still really good but I absolutely appreciated Tom Cruise in this more now, he’s got the straight man/arsehole with a heart of gold thing and it’s much harder to pull off. I think it’s really hard to judge Hoffman’s performance now, obviously it’s a bit overdone and in 2021 there’s no way they try that (I think Sias ill fated “music” has probably buried nuero norm people playing nuero diverse characters) but Hoffman’s Babbit was THE quintessential autistic person for years, he’s probably the reason most of us thought that anyone autistic could count cards and doing that worked with the academy right up to about 01 when Penn did I am Sam.

Anyway, thoroughly enjoyable film with a bunch of great scenes, the Vegas bit is killer. 8/10 and Cruise was absolutely robbed to not be nommed for an Oscar.

"Humping one note on a piano" wtaf.

Is that meant to be a metaphor or a reference to his rocking motion. Or both.

Or. I dont care. :thumbsupv1:
What an idiot.
For a tiny bit of context Hoffman was known as being notoriously difficult to work with (like every line needed motivation and nuance so he’d Badger directors and writers to the point they would hate him and then he’d give them no credit and in some instances even forget their name). So I think she’s semi implying that Raymond and Dustin are both introverted weirdos.
In any event it’s a killer line and I just couldn’t imagine any reviewer doing it for a film as big and as popular as rain man was in 88.

Anyway, thoroughly enjoyable film with a bunch of great scenes, the Vegas bit is killer. 8/10 and Cruise was absolutely robbed to not be nommed for an Oscar.

The entrance via the escalators dressed in the suits is iconic.

Also love the Qantas scene. :tearsofjoy:
Melbs got a mention!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I listened to the rewatchables podcast for Rain Man the other day and they kept talking about Pauline Kaels review of the film and especially its opening line.

I have bookmarked in my browser an archive of selected Pauline Kael reviews over several decades. She disliked many films I love - and there are very few movies she didn't find fault with - but there was a fearlessness in her writing and she often had a unique perspective on movies that other critics didn't.

Apparently she never watched the same film more than once. I know some people prefer reading or other past-times, but I find this staggering for someone in her chosen field.

View attachment 1291361

Bearing in mind Rain Man was the best picture, best director and best actor Oscar winner for that year it’s a pretty staggering review.

Anyway I rewatched it last night, it’s still really good but I absolutely appreciated Tom Cruise in this more now, he’s got the straight man/arsehole with a heart of gold thing and it’s much harder to pull off. I think it’s really hard to judge Hoffman’s performance now, obviously it’s a bit overdone and in 2021 there’s no way they try that (I think Sias ill fated “music” has probably buried nuero norm people playing nuero diverse characters) but Hoffman’s Babbit was THE quintessential autistic person for years, he’s probably the reason most of us thought that anyone autistic could count cards and doing that worked with the academy right up to about 01 when Penn did I am Sam.

That's a brilliant review! I only watched Rain Man for the first time fairly recently and really enjoyed it (despite not being able to see past Tom Cruise the actor rather than his role). Dustin Hoffman was fantastic in it, but it's a pretty dated stereotype. There is definitely an element of truth in the review though.
"Humping one note on a piano" wtaf.

Is that meant to be a metaphor or a reference to his rocking motion. Or both.

Or. I dont care. :thumbsupv1:
What an idiot.
My interpretation is that she's saying that not only did he have no range in his acting throughout the whole film (the one-note part), he wasn't going to let anyone (in the film or behind the scenes) distract him from the portrayal he depicted (kind of like how you can't distract a dog from humping another object).

Whether you agree or not, the turn of phrase perfectly captures the critic's thoughts in a really memorable and entertaining way.

View attachment 1291361

Pauline Kaels reviews are awesome in retrospect. She didnt hold back!

Pauline Kaels reviews are awesome in retrospect. She didnt hold back!
The opening line of that one is absolutely elite. I dont agree with it but damn i enjoyed it.

Its a real time capsule, no critic is doing that today especially for a movie that semi swept the oscars.

I’ve never read the book but I have seen the 80s lynch version, barelt remember it to be fair.

Seeing it next week.
You'll probably have a bit more of an immersive experience than me then. Not only have I read the book but I've read it fairly recently too so pretty much every scene I would think "oh I remember this from the book" and play it out in my head while it played out on screen. Still a good experience because I got to compare how I imagined it with how they shot it but I think it would have been better if I was experiencing it all for the first time.

I found it underwhelming but if you don't watch it young, seeing it for the first time at a mature age, you definitely can feel underwhelmed after hearing so much of the population have it as their favourite film.

A few more watched and yes I realise it is very good, but it didn't match the hype of hearing people gush over it for 20 odd years.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Viewed Shawshank at the cinemas on release due to the Batman movie at the time being sold out. Had no idea about the film at all for this reason and walked out thinking what an amazing movie.

Appreciate everyone has different tastes etc, but i cant fathom so many people saying Shawshank is overrated etc. In every way that film is incredibly well made....the basic story is wonderful and heart-warming, with a never give up moral, and a cheeky love for the underdog. Theres great acting. Directing, cinematography, music, etc etc. On my binary method of rating, it would get a 9 or 10 out of 10 for ticking all the boxes.

Have to be almost heartless to not get swept away with the raw and genuine emotions. Its pretty much "perfect" in terms of story-telling, writing, dialog, character development, arcs, building tension, making you live vicariously in the story itself...like how the best of Spielberg movies do it.

Appreciate everyone has different tastes etc, but i cant fathom so many people saying Shawshank is overrated etc. In every way that film is incredibly well made....the basic story is wonderful and heart-warming, with a never give up moral, and a cheeky love for the underdog. Theres great acting. Directing, cinematography, music, etc etc. On my binary method of rating, it would get a 9 or 10 out of 10 for ticking all the boxes.

Have to be almost heartless to not get swept away with the raw and genuine emotions. Its pretty much "perfect" in terms of story-telling, writing, dialog, character development, arcs, building tension, making you live vicariously in the story itself...like how the best of Spielberg movies do it.
Yeh, look, i can see people thinking its overrated and even understand it without agreeing with them (i think it nails every aspect and even though some of it is a bit tropey if it works it works) but blind "its trash" type criticism comes across as "i only watch indie, foreign films at an art deco cinema where they serve kale chips and soy based cocktails".

Liking popular stuff isnt a crime.

Yeh, look, i can see people thinking its overrated and even understand it without agreeing with them (i think it nails every aspect and even though some of it is a bit tropey if it works it works) but blind "its trash" type criticism comes across as "i only watch indie, foreign films at an art deco cinema where they serve kale chips and soy based cocktails".

Liking popular stuff isnt a crime.
If something is near-perfectly made, every facet of film-making, it is what it is. Regardless whether its Godfather II or Shawshank or ET or One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest or Star Wars/TESB, or Joker, or The Matrix, or Unforgiven, or The Mist, or Planet of the Apes, etc. Indy, small budget, big budget studio, doesnt matter. Greatness is greatness.

Every truly great film always still has its little flaws, or tropeyness, etc. Classic westerns, sci-fi, prison movie, mob/gangster, they all have tropes.

Liking Shawshank isnt like liking Justin Beiber, say. Its like liking Led Zeppelin or The Stones.

If something is near-perfectly made, every facet of film-making, it is what it is. Regardless whether its Godfather II or Shawshank or ET or One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest or Star Wars/TESB, or Joker, or The Matrix, or Unforgiven, or The Mist, or Planet of the Apes, etc. Indy, small budget, big budget studio, doesnt matter. Greatness is greatness.

Every truly great film always still has its little flaws, or tropeyness, etc. Classic westerns, sci-fi, prison movie, mob/gangster, they all have tropes.

Liking Shawshank isnt like liking Justin Beiber, say. Its like liking Led Zeppelin or The Stones.
I personally dont think some of the films on that list are even close to near perfect but i can respect that they are well made and appreciate that element of them.

Overall i agree though. Shitting on Shawshank etc has become very popular fairly recently and its pretty misguided, ill accept that people might think its overrated or even dislike it for a host of reasons (even if i disagree) but if you blindly hate it and cant appreciate what it does exceptionally well then i assume you just hate it cause its cool to hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back