Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

The Matrix Resurrections... nothing as memorable as the original film but has the same style and tone, some slick action, plenty of nostalgia, then plenty of subtext about relying on nostalgia. Thoughtful story that I found quite entertaining overall. Not a classic, but a nice full stop on the series if this is the end. 7/10

The Matrix Resurrections... nothing as memorable as the original film but has the same style and tone, some slick action, plenty of nostalgia, then plenty of subtext about relying on nostalgia. Thoughtful story that I found quite entertaining overall. Not a classic, but a nice full stop on the series if this is the end. 7/10
That’s generous. The first third was interesting enough but the rest went downhill very quickly.

I very much enjoyed Resurrections come at me

Keanu Reeves Neo GIF by The Matrix

I didn't know what to expect going in, given that it didn't do so well at the box office (reasons for which are complicated). But I thought they hit the nostalgia well while cleverly tearing down our obsession with the past. And it's uniquely Wachowski's story, I respect that. And Bugs is gorgeous.

The Matrix: Resurrections - I really enjoyed the opening half hour setting up the premise, it was fun and playful. I thought the final half hour was some legitimately good, enthralling action. In between was 90 minutes of tedium. Half a good movie, half a dull one, overall an okay one that definitely did not need to go for 2 1/2 hours.

King Richard - actually surprised after the fact to read this was as long as the above, because it certainly did not drag. A fine sports movie. Will Smith is getting a lot of Oscar buzz, which I don’t get - a good impersonation (which is what the Academy likes) but nothing on par with Cumberbatch or Denzel. The movie, produced by the Williams Sisters and about their father, portrayed him as a tenacious fighter looking out for his daughters, but I came out of it feeling their success was as much in spite of him as because of. If anything, I left the movie thinking more highly of Venus.

I didn't know what to expect going in, given that it didn't do so well at the box office (reasons for which are complicated). But I thought they hit the nostalgia well while cleverly tearing down our obsession with the past. And it's uniquely Wachowski's story, I respect that. And Bugs is gorgeous.
I think that’s what I liked initially but some of the decisions were weird after. Neo did the same move over and over. Quite bizarre.

A few since I last checked in with you lords.

Dune: basically ruined by people in the cinema talking and using their phones. I actually watched as someone took a photo of the movie screen and upload to their instagram story. Da *.

45 Years: A slow burn drama that I heard Ari Aster raving about on a podcast, apparently he made everyone on the set of Hereditary watch it. Really well shot so you could see what he liked about it. It was just a sad drama about an old married couple which was in no way violent, but it had this subtly unsettling tone and you kinda felt empty by the end. 8/10

Arrival: Pretty much a perfect movie. At least, it is all the way until the very final minute when they hand Jeremy Renner some of the cheesiest dialogue I have ever heard. It nearly ruined it for me the first time I saw it, but now I just find it comical. 9/10

The Tragedy of Macbeth: Got a tip to wikipedia the story if you are not familiar with it, which was super helpful as the Shakespearian language is very hard to follow at times. It's a neat little tale, stylish visuals and Denzel is a solid Macbeth. Whoever played the witch did an awesome job too 7.5/10

Licorice Pizza (2021)

Usual Paul Thomas Anderson movie. Homage to LA period piece. Lot of quirky weird things. But not as laid on thickly as previous movies, so this one flows better.

As I said in the Film Trivia thread.....not only is there a whopping amount of interesting trivia in this film, I always thought PTA tries to be weird/quirky deliberately to be too artsy like the Coen Bros, but reading thru the trivia for Licorice Pizza on IMDB he actually pulls all that from real life events, and real life stories friends and associates have told him about their own lives and experiences.

Anyway, film is essentially a story about a guy and a girl....
who meet and initially flirt romantically but just never seem to get it going together, but always agitated/angry/longing when the other has a new romantic partner, feelings keep stirring, but they keep drifting apart in work/life, whilst also from time to time working together....until finally they both just realize theyre meant for each other, been wasting their time with other partners and denying to themselves their feelings. The catch being the guy is an underclassman (15 yo) and the girl a 25 yo, initially a photography assistant for local high schools.

My imdb review, just to share in more detailed thought....

A typical, lively Paul Thomas Anderson movie. An homage to 60s-70s Los Angeles period piece. A lot of quirky and weird lines, characters, scenes. But it's not as laid on thickly and incoherently as some of his previous movies, so this one flows better. Great depth and heart to the essential storyline, makes the characters come to life, become real, that the viewer attaches to. Surrounding the heart and depth of the main characters is an ensemble of supporting characters providing oddball humor. Those two aspects lean on each other heavily, but it works very well compared to previous PTA movies constructed similarly. I guess it's because the core story itself is so universally charming -- the whole boy meets girl and the journey to fruition of love.

There is a whopping amount of fascinating trivia in this film. (See Trivia section on IMDB). PTA and the Coen Bros, to name just two, very similarly accentuate the weird, quirky, artsy thing; often too much so. I guess it's just a genre, so they and other like-minded filmmakers try to add to it, add more, add new. I still feel there's a fine line there that they too often cross it, and it tends to detriment the longevity of the film. It's enjoyed but quickly forgotten, not demanding a rewatch. Despite that, I learned from the Trivia section that PTA pulls a lot of that from his own real life memories, and stories that friends and associates have told him about their own lives and experiences....makes you appreciate how wonderfully odd life is.

The film is essentially a story about a guy and a girl who meet and initially flirt romantically but just never seem to get it going together. Always agitated, angry, and longing when the other has a new romantic partner. Feelings keep stirring back and forth, but never in unison, as they regularly drift apart and back together in their work and life, trying to find themselves, their career path, their meaning for happiness, a partner to latch onto for good measure. A journey of self-awareness and maturation, of wasted time and denied feelings, meandering thru superficial distractions and fork in the road decisions, that are inevitably fated to a full circle re-awakening.

The catch is that the guy is a 15 year old underclassman with big entrepreneurial ambitions/skills and the girl is a 25 year old photography assistant for local high schools still living at home, looking for a way out but also lost career-wise. An instant mutual attraction made uneasy by the age and mental age differences that juxtapose in both people in various ways for and against.

PTA always captures the Los Angeles of the 60s-80s so well....the loneliness and desolation blended in with the fun, adventure, and famousness of it all. Brings back so many of our own LA memories of that era. Growing old is so sad.

Started watching the star wars movies with my young fella.

The OT holds up well enough, but bloody hell chewbacca needs to be silenced. He was so annoying growling all the time. He is the worst.

Started watching the star wars movies with my young fella.

The OT holds up well enough, but bloody hell chewbacca needs to be silenced. He was so annoying growling all the time. He is the worst.
GIF by Star Wars

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tragedy of McBeth - I liked it was shot in black and white…some of the footage in the castle was good. The woods scenes seemed like a stage, maybe they meant that but I don’ know….took a bit away from atmosphere. Two great lead actors but they seemed a little restrained for my liking …still prefer the Fassbender/Coutillard version ..their descent into madness seemed to grab more with emotion. Even McDuff was far better from that version to this one - 6.5/10

Last edited:
I love mid to 2000s medium budget sci Fi films like The Island, In Time, Code 46 etc

Reminds me of the time when you went to the DVD store and picked out a cool looking sci Fi flick

Nightmare Alley (2021)

Hadn't read the book or seen the original 1940s film adaption. Highly recommended, but it's not a fun entertaining movie, it's deep and dark with a nightmarish ending. I saw that ending coming very early in the film, but I was hoping it didn't come to that. But i guess that's the moral of the story.

Bradley Cooper is a prince of the big screen, to deftly handle a complex role as this. The very end scene a great acting cherry on top The cinematography is superb, dark and foreboding just like the subject matter. The movie has a long run time of well over 2 hrs, and tho many have complained about that, there was nothing wrong with that. It moved how it was intended to move, at its own pace, as it needed to, to fully explore the main character and his slow agonizing descent into that specific nightmare. You cannot trim that movie down and try to sell it. If anything, it probably needed another 10 or so minutes at the end to reinforce his descent.

I love mid to 2000s medium budget sci Fi films like The Island, In Time, Code 46 etc

Reminds me of the time when you went to the DVD store and picked out a cool looking sci Fi flick
You watch any of those recently, or just a general movie related shower thought?

Speaking of over the top Scarlett Johansseon sci-fis, finally got around to watching Lucy (2014) recently and had lots of fun with it.

Oh yeah, I watched Under The Skin over the summer too. That movie is deeply cooked.

You watch any of those recently, or just a general movie related shower thought?

Speaking of over the top Scarlett Johansseon sci-fis, finally got around to watching Lucy (2014) recently and had lots of fun with it.

Oh yeah, I watched Under The Skin over the summer too. That movie is deeply cooked.

The Island was on TV tonight. I really liked Lucy and Under the Skin was a mind *

Now I really want to watch Ghost in the Shell again

Encanto with the kids and sure it's Disney doing everything it can to hit every market and focus-group informed key performance indicator but it's not bad, in fact it's actually pretty good imo and refreshing to see how an animated movie can work fine without a villain.

Encanto with the kids and sure it's Disney doing everything it can to hit every market and focus-group informed key performance indicator but it's not bad, in fact it's actually pretty good imo and refreshing to see how an animated movie can work fine without a villain.

It also has Stephanie Beatriz

tumblr_p0j7klOL951uddl5bo1_400.gif

Guardians of the Galaxy

That's it? The film people have raved about for years?

What a snooze fest.

It suprised me as it was actually watchable, unlike every single other super hero movie Ive tried the last 10 years, but yeh it's nothing special, I think the fact I didn't want to gouge my own eyes out like during Iron Man or The Avengers gives it bonus points.

I think you're giving Disney too much credit
received_945840582709131.jpeg

More like the makers of the movie did what they wanted despite Disney pressuring then to keep it more traditional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back