Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Malek was a poor Freddy as well, incredibly one dimensional

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
I wished theyd made the full frontal version Baron Cohen wanted to make.

I wont bag Bohemian Rhapsody too much cause i enjoyed it immensely but i enjoyed it the way i enjoyed the Greatest Showman or Grease, as pure popcorn entertainment.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion

I wont bag Bohemian Rhapsody too much cause i enjoyed it immensely but i enjoyed it the way i enjoyed the Greatest Showman or Grease, as pure popcorn entertainment.

Even then, it didn't need to be like the Baron Cohen one, but there were more dimensions to Freddy 'quiet but flamboyant singer with a lisp'. It was borderline insulting that the performance was so lauded.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

the music saves the movies like bohemian rhapsody and rocketman. movie starts to get a bit boring and then a great song comes on and gets you back into it

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ad Astra - meh, was ok but nothing outstanding. enjoyed the first half but then i thought it went downhill after that. I think i was expecting more but didnt get there. Reminded me a little bit of Intersteller but nowhere near as good (even though that was a bit far fetched in its own right)
Super divisive movie, i absolutely loved it and think its one of Pitts best ever performance but i can absolutely see why others didnt.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Super divisive movie, i absolutely loved it and think its one of Pitts best ever performance but i can absolutely see why others didnt.

not sure why but it got boring from about halfway. Was pretty cool space effects/vision. The start when the tower thing explodes was cool.

I guess the whole ending when he got to neptune and lack of wow was the killer for me.

Nothing wrong with Pitts performance, was pretty good.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
In Wild (2014), Reese Witherspoon plays a woman whose mother dies so she takes a lot of drugs and screws any bloke, then without any preparation decides to walk the thousand miles of the Pacific Crest Trail. It's one of the most boring movies I've ever watched.

Geez Sorted, get a job with the Daily Mail mate!
Watched 'Wild', solely based on your claim: 'Reese Witherspoon takes a lot of drugs and screws any bloke!'
Got all excited, sent the better half to bed early, (told her I was watching a horror movie - she hates horror movies) skipped forward and back many times looking for all the rude bits as you advertised, found nothing, zero, diddly squat! I've seen more nudity in a Myers catalogue..!

Decent enough movie though, if you believe that someone who has never walked around the block with a few shopping bags, suddenly goes on a grueling 500 mile hike with a 200kg back-pack as some sort of therapy to deal with the grief of losing her mother and to escape the related poor life choices she made thereafter..?
5/10.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Geez Sorted, get a job with the Daily Mail mate!
Watched 'Wild', solely based on your claim: 'Reese Witherspoon takes a lot of drugs and screws any bloke!'
Got all excited, sent the better half to bed early, (told her I was watching a horror movie - she hates horror movies) skipped forward and back many times looking for all the rude bits as you advertised, found nothing, zero, diddly squat! I've seen more nudity in a Myers catalogue..!

Decent enough movie though, if you believe that someone who has never walked around the block with a few shopping bags, suddenly goes on a grueling 500 mile hike with a 200kg back-pack as some sort of therapy to deal with the grief of losing her mother and to escape the related poor life choices she made thereafter..?
5/10.
It is based on a true story, im sure some liberties were taken but overall its supposed to be pretty accurate

I saw it in Gold class. Srsly should have left it at only the one viewing (which i enjoyed alot)- it gets worse the more times you watch it.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Ghostbusters: Afterlife is 62 per cent on RT and 45 per cent on Metacritic. Critics aren’t everything and I’ll judge it for myself eventually but not hearing great things. Why do I get the feeling that those that irrationally hated the female reboot will go out of their way to paint this as awesome though?

The Harder They Fall… slick Western, visually appealing, lots of ‘cool’ characters and good performances from pretty much all involved. Doesn’t add much to the genre but well worth the time. 8/10.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Ghostbusters: Afterlife is 62 per cent on RT and 45 per cent on Metacritic. Critics aren’t everything and I’ll judge it for myself eventually but not hearing great things. Why do I get the feeling that those that irrationally hated the female reboot will go out of their way to paint this as awesome though?

The Harder They Fall… slick Western, visually appealing, lots of ‘cool’ characters and good performances from pretty much all involved. Doesn’t add much to the genre but well worth the time. 8/10.

The Ghostbusters re-make was an average flick, irrespective of it's gender representation, along the same lines as the latest Charlie Angels attempt. Both suffered from over-promotion (specifically Ghostbusters) suggesting they would be blockbusters and when they weren't, the critics piled-on.

Conversely the re-make of Little Women was an outstanding endeavour in casting and production.

The Harder They Fall is on my watch-list, love a good western.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Nitram aka The Film About That Guy We Won't Name Who Killed Heaps of People in Australia That Time (2021)

iu

Is it possible for any critic to review this film objectively, given the controversy over it's existence? Hard to untangle the acclaim from the argument about the "importance" of telling this story.

Biggest gripe was Jones' performance: as lauded as it is, it's not particularly accurate IMO. The real Martin Bryant was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome and had the intellect of the child. I didn't really get that from Jones' portrayal.... I mean I got friends who are more socially awkward than this dude lol. And there's one or two historical inaccuracies I picked up (which I suppose is par for the course).

Kinda worth watching for Judy Davis performance if that's your thing, La Paglia was very good too, and Essie Davis... goddamn. What a ******* babe she is too.

Personally, I reckon it's all a bit of a wank. There's not a lot of insight here and there's not a lot of questions answered IMO.
3 stars out of 5 (and two of those are for Essie Davis' rear end).

Edit: Oh yeah forgot to mention as good as Judy Davis is: and she's killer in this- that portrayal isn't accurate at all. Check out the 60 minutes interview. Real life Martin's mum's a fn massive numpty.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Nitram aka The Film About That Guy We Won't Name Who Killed Heaps of People in Australia That Time (2021)

iu

Is it possible for any critic to review this film objectively, given the controversy over it's existence? Hard to untangle the acclaim from the argument about the "importance" of telling this story.

Biggest gripe was Jones' performance: as lauded as it is, it's not particularly accurate. The real Martin Bryant was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome and had the intellect of the child. I didn't really get that from Jones' portrayal.... I mean I got friends who are more socially awkward than this dude lol. And there's one or two historical inaccuracies I picked up (which I suppose is par for the course).

Kinda worth watching for Judy Davis performance if that's your thing, La Paglia was very good too, and Essie Davis... goddamn. What a ******* babe she is too.

Personally, I reckon it's all a bit of a wank. There's not a lot of insight here and there's not a lot of questions answered IMO.
3 stars out of 5 (and two of those are for Essie Davis' rear end).
Personally, I don’t understand the controversy. It’s been 25 years, it’s a big part of our nation’s recent history, the idea that it can’t be examined on film is silly. They made a movie about Anders Brevik and that was this decade.

It will never be the right time for family of the victims but that generally doesn’t stop filmmakers from seeking insights and lessons from the past.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Personally, I don’t understand the controversy. It’s been 25 years, it’s a big part of our nation’s recent history, the idea that it can’t be examined on film is silly.

It will never be the right time for family of the victims but that generally doesn’t stop filmmakers from seeking insights and lessons from the past.
I agree, but outside of some stunning performances this does feel a bit gratuitous.

"Complete social outcast with an intellectual disability gets guns and bad s**t happens" isn't really a rich topic to explore IMO, but even then there's not much of deep dive into any of the circumstances around what happened, the characters appear to be fictitious portrayals, and the anti-gun message tacked on at the end feels like an afterthought.

I'm kinda struggling to see what the point of it is.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree, but outside of some stunning performances this does feel a bit gratuitous.

"Complete social outcast with an intellectual disability gets guns and bad sh*t happens" isn't really a rich topic to explore IMO, but even then there's not much of deep dive into any of the circumstances around what happened, the characters appear to be fictitious portrayals, and the anti-gun message tacked on at the end feels like an afterthought.

I'm kinda struggling to see what the point of it is.

The missus fell asleep during the movie and missed the end. She asked how it ended and i explained how at the end they wrote how states havent followed the new gun laws absolutely and there are now more guns in Australia than there were back then.

What they failed to include would be the majority of gun owners would be registered now, no semi-automatic guns etc....

The movie definitely showed how easy it was to acquire guns from gun shops and they didnt give a s**t if they were going to be registered or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back