Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Nitram aka The Film About That Guy We Won't Name Who Killed Heaps of People in Australia That Time (2021)

iu

Is it possible for any critic to review this film objectively, given the controversy over it's existence? Hard to untangle the acclaim from the argument about the "importance" of telling this story.

Biggest gripe was Jones' performance: as lauded as it is, it's not particularly accurate IMO. The real Martin Bryant was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome and had the intellect of the child. I didn't really get that from Jones' portrayal.... I mean I got friends who are more socially awkward than this dude lol. And there's one or two historical inaccuracies I picked up (which I suppose is par for the course).

Kinda worth watching for Judy Davis performance if that's your thing, La Paglia was very good too, and Essie Davis... goddamn. What a ******* babe she is too.

Personally, I reckon it's all a bit of a wank. There's not a lot of insight here and there's not a lot of questions answered IMO.
3 stars out of 5 (and two of those are for Essie Davis' rear end).

Edit: Oh yeah forgot to mention as good as Judy Davis is: and she's killer in this- that portrayal isn't accurate at all. Check out the 60 minutes interview. Real life Martin's mum's a fn massive numpty.

I didnt really know much about Bryant and his upbringing. I have read up on the day numerous times but nothing about his past so i found the movie interesting, probably more so after reading up on him after the movie and confirming what was real and what wasnt (and what wasnt included)

I thought they did a good job and the main actor did a good aussie accent.

rank and file

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2013
michael mitchell country
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
bell park
Unhinged (2020)
A fairly minor road-rage incedent gets taken to the next level.
Fat,crazy Russel Crowe is the rager and goes hard dishing out his violent retribution.
Next time you're caught in traffic and you feel like letting rip on the horn,don't.
Courtesy taps all the way.
3 stars

The missus fell asleep during the movie and missed the end. She asked how it ended and i explained how at the end they wrote how states havent followed the new gun laws absolutely and there are now more guns in Australia than there were back then.

What they failed to include would be the majority of gun owners would be registered now, no semi-automatic guns etc....

The movie definitely showed how easy it was to acquire guns from gun shops and they didnt give a sh*t if they were going to be registered or not.
You used to be able to buy them from K-Mart in Queensland. Like, in the late 80's.

I agree, but outside of some stunning performances this does feel a bit gratuitous.

"Complete social outcast with an intellectual disability gets guns and bad sh*t happens" isn't really a rich topic to explore IMO, but even then there's not much of deep dive into any of the circumstances around what happened, the characters appear to be fictitious portrayals, and the anti-gun message tacked on at the end feels like an afterthought.

I'm kinda struggling to see what the point of it is.

Agree with this.

I didnt really know much about Bryant and his upbringing. I have read up on the day numerous times but nothing about his past so i found the movie interesting, probably more so after reading up on him after the movie and confirming what was real and what wasnt (and what wasnt included)

And agree with this.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
It's a great performance (the whole main cast is immense), but I don’t think it was particularly accurate.

Martin's loneliness is something the filmmakers highlighted as one factor in the crime, but the fact is he spent the four days before the massacre banging his girlfriend (who visited several times after he was sentenced).

Which again makes me wonder what the point of this film is? If you're going to examine the event with sensitivity and care which the filmmakers assure us is the case, why falsify the narrative? Instead they try and tell us Martin might be gay? What?

They may as well have got Rob Zombie to direct it.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Nitram was a truly great film. Can't imagine Kurzel ever topping it honestly.

I felt like the portrait summarised many aspects of these comparable shooters beyond just MB himself, probably took some liberties but it is unmistakably MB and felt authentic and engaging as a human story. There was also no tasteless sensationalism. It's the best Australian film I've seen since maybe MM:FR (The Nightingale possibly the best in that period).

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Thats a real rough year for the Oscars.

Green Book for BP (over Black Panther, BlacKkKlansman, The Favourite, Roma and a Star is Born)
Rami for Best Actor (over Bale in Vice, Cooper in a Star is Born)

Both real rough
The field was just really mediocre imo. The Favourite was the only film there I'd call excellent. I think Green Book was one of the better nominees, but Black Panther, Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody were all a bit mediocre, took up places of other films that might have pushed up the competition.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Nitram was a truly great film. Can't imagine Kurzel ever topping it honestly.

I felt like the portrait summarised many aspects of these comparable shooters beyond just MB himself, probably took some liberties but it is unmistakably MB and felt authentic and engaging as a human story. There was also no tasteless sensationalism. It's the best Australian film I've seen since maybe MM:FR (The Nightingale possibly the best in that period).
I thought the way they did the shooting part really well. Didn't need to show it but you got the impact of everyday life turning to shot it an instance.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The field was just really mediocre imo. The Favourite was the only film there I'd call excellent. I think Green Book was one of the better nominees, but Black Panther, Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody were all a bit mediocre, took up places of other films that might have pushed up the competition.
I really enjoyed green book, deserved winner

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I really enjoyed green book, deserved winner

Same, I wasn't really torn on the Roma/Green Book thing. In the greater context it wasn't a notable Best Picture (I have it 75th overall, but I like about 90% of them so no biggie), but it was overhated by some and as long as it clears the mark, especially in a soft field, then no biggie. Anyone expecting them to pick THE best film of the year or even the best in the field is normally setting themselves up for a sorry disappointment, you gotta lower the standards a tad, and a 3.75/5 just about satisfies me.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeh the fabourite was my best by a margin. I enjoyed green book and honestly I’m not gonna can it but I don’t think it will age well, it’s essentially another white savior movie (and that’s before the contraversy with the family).

Best actor was a nightmare though. That’s a genuine shocker that felt bad at the time and only looks worse after a few years.

I thought the way they did the shooting part really well. Didn't need to show it but you got the impact of everyday life turning to shot it an instance.

We Need to Talk About Kevin and Elephant are good films with similar themes, if you haven't seen them already

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
The Little Things… movie set in the ‘90s, feels like a throwback to ‘90s filmmaking and makes sense when you realise it sat in development hell since the ‘90s. It’s got middling reviews, largely because it doesn’t offer anything new to the genre but I quite liked it, Denzel Washington, Jared Leto and Rami Malek are all really good. I quite enjoyed the grimness of it all. Might seem like the kind of story you’d see on TV rather than film but worth the time. 7/10

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nitram

As much of a spoiler free review as possible. I just don’t really understand the point of this. Ignoring the factual inaccuracies (of which there are a lot and many that would have added far more context to the story) and the total inability to convey any sort of narrative timeline (if you told someone who didn’t know the events of this film took place over 2 days, 2 months, 2 years or 2 decades they’d probably believe any of them) it ultimately just felt reductive (it seems to be trying to boil the whole story down to
mummy issues
).

They made some smart filming ,production and casting choices (Caleb is fantastic) but ultimately made a film that doesn’t really do or say anything. Perhaps that’s the point and it just went over my head.

4/10 I guess.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Nitram

As much of a spoiler free review as possible. I just don’t really understand the point of this. Ignoring the factual inaccuracies (of which there are a lot and many that would have added far more context to the story) and the total inability to convey any sort of narrative timeline (if you told someone who didn’t know the events of this film took place over 2 days, 2 months, 2 years or 2 decades they’d probably believe any of them) it ultimately just felt reductive (it seems to be trying to boil the whole story down to
mummy issues
).

They made some smart filming ,production and casting choices (Caleb is fantastic) but ultimately made a film that doesn’t really do or say anything. Perhaps that’s the point and it just went over my head.

4/10 I guess.
It’s ok, I already know how it ends.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Also the facts they pop up at the end of the film are pretty misleading.

They note that we have more gun ownership now than in 1996, that’s true but we also have roughly 8 million more people living here now than we did then, ownership rates are way way down and we very famously haven’t had a single mass shooting since Port Arthur (at least we hadn’t last I checked) so I’m not sure if the film was trying to imply that we have lost our way since the amnesty and buy back or what but it was a weird message.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Also the facts they pop up at the end of the film are pretty misleading.

They note that we have more gun ownership now than in 1996, that’s true but we also have roughly 8 million more people living here now than we did then, ownership rates are way way down and we very famously haven’t had a single mass shooting since Port Arthur (at least we hadn’t last I checked) so I’m not sure if the film was trying to imply that we have lost our way since the amnesty and buy back or what but it was a weird message.
Yeah I rolled my eyes at that sentence they put up at the end. You can't have semi automatic weapons, they have to be registered and you need to jump through a lot more hoops to get a gun.

Big difference from back then to now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back