Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

They made some smart filming ,production and casting choices (Caleb is fantastic) but ultimately made a film that doesn’t really do or say anything. Perhaps that’s the point and it just went over my head.

Maybe it is. In that one of the worst acts of violence in this country was just so senseless, and so random, we're never going to get any clear or cohesive answers from the man himself.

The field was just really mediocre imo. The Favourite was the only film there I'd call excellent. I think Green Book was one of the better nominees, but Black Panther, Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody were all a bit mediocre, took up places of other films that might have pushed up the competition.
Agree.

Shoplifters, Cold War, Mid90s, Blindspotting, The Old Man and the Gun were all stiff.

You could even argue A Quiet Place, Isle of Dogs, Wildlife, and First Man had more of an argument than some of the nominees.

My faves from that year were Isle of Dogs, The Favourite, At Eternity's Gate, Peterloo and The House That Jack Built.

But among those that were possibilities, I most would've liked to see Leave No Trace get in which felt like it maximised itself, was a Sundance independenty type and spoke to a niche American experience, and featured a decent female direction worthy of acclaim. Wildlife, Widows and Beale Street were some others that would have been good replacements, but in terms of campaigning it's a shame Leave No Trace couldn't happen, especially with the hindsight of Nomadland.

This is where I rank the nominees in 2018 overall:

#2 The Favourite
#24 Roma
#32 Green Book
#59 BlacKkKlansman
#63 A Star is Born
------
#109 Vice
#118 Black Panther
#122 Bohemian Rhapsody

It was a weird year. The A Star is Born frontrunning didn't happen, Roma was an oddly unconvincing frontrunner, Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody being threats was bizarre (the former telegraphed, the latter unexpected)

Last edited:

As a firearm enthusiast, not currently licensed, but family and friends who are, that kind of context devoid message at the end would absolutely trigger me and ruin the film.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Maybe it is. In that one of the worst acts of violence in this country was just so senseless, and so random, we're never going to get any clear or cohesive answers from the man himself.
Maybe, films always a subjective medium.

Personally I don’t really see the point of half telling the story and reducing it down to a single (incorrect) trigger point. I think it’s well made and well acted but if you’re going to re do the trauma it should probably have a purpose.

My faves from that year were Isle of Dogs, The Favourite, At Eternity's Gate, Peterloo and The House That Jack Built.

But among those that were were distant possibilities, I most would've liked to see Leave No Trace get in which felt like it maximised itself, was a Sundance independenty type and spoke to a niche American experience, and featured a decent female direction worthy of acclaim. Wildlife, Widows and Beale Street were some others that would have been good replacements, but in terms of campaigning it's a shame Leave No Trace couldn't happen, especially with the hindsight of Nomadland.

This is where I rank the nominees in 2018 overall:

#2 The Favourite
#24 Roma
#32 Green Book
#59 BlacKkKlansman
#63 A Star is Born
------
#109 Vice
#118 Black Panther
#122 Bohemian Rhapsody

It was a weird year. The A Star is Born frontrunning didn't happen, Roma was an oddly unconvincing frontrunner, Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody being threats was bizarre (the former telegraphed, the latter unexpected)
Wait, how many movies did you watch in 2018?

As a firearm enthusiast, not currently licensed, but family and friends who are, that kind of context devoid message at the end would absolutely trigger me and ruin the film.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
What enthuses you about firearms?

Wait, how many movies did you watch in 2018?
144 apparently. Bottom few were The Commuter, Rabbit & Red Sparrow, but nothing truly abysmal (<3/10) from that year

Mostly caught up through later means, only went to the cinema twice that year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nitram

As much of a spoiler free review as possible. I just don’t really understand the point of this. Ignoring the factual inaccuracies (of which there are a lot and many that would have added far more context to the story) and the total inability to convey any sort of narrative timeline (if you told someone who didn’t know the events of this film took place over 2 days, 2 months, 2 years or 2 decades they’d probably believe any of them) it ultimately just felt reductive (it seems to be trying to boil the whole story down to
mummy issues
).

They made some smart filming ,production and casting choices (Caleb is fantastic) but ultimately made a film that doesn’t really do or say anything. Perhaps that’s the point and it just went over my head.

4/10 I guess.

The turd doesn't deserve to have a movie about him. Killing dozens of people doesn't make him interesting. He was a complete loser who got lucky by inheriting wealth from a cat lady who inherited wealth. He seemed to have no agenda apart from "shooting people is fun". The other characters were also unlikeable - although all the performances were good.

There was a few token statements about gun control in the final credits but I don't think this movie added anything to the debate. Was the gun shop scene realistic? A small run down gun shop in Tassie having a back room like from a John Wick movie? And it was 25 years ago so not particularly relevant to the current situation.

In the scene where he was buying the surfboard there was a Vline train in the background. Then the sign for the Geelong Arena was clearly visible. That was pretty sloppy by the film makers.

fu** that list.

Movie lists are like assholes - everyone has one and it's mostly s**t - but dare I say it, what would be your top 100?

Most of that list is agreeable to me, so I'm fine with a few inclusions I vehemently disagree with - Lawrence of Arabia, The Terminator, The Notebook etc.

The turd doesn't deserve to have a movie about him. Killing dozens of people doesn't make him interesting. He was a complete loser who got lucky by inheriting wealth from a cat lady who inherited wealth. He seemed to have no agenda apart from "shooting people is fun". The other characters were also unlikeable - although all the performances were good.

There was a few token statements about gun control in the final credits but I don't think this movie added anything to the debate. Was the gun shop scene realistic? A small run down gun shop in Tassie having a back room like from a John Wick movie? And it was 25 years ago so not particularly relevant to the current situation.

In the scene where he was buying the surfboard there was a Vline train in the background. Then the sign for the Geelong Arena was clearly visible. That was pretty sloppy by the film makers.

Agree with most of that.
Nitram provided a reflection and overview of who MB was - predominately a disturbed man-child. The reality is sadly there are thousands of people with traumatic childhoods or adolescent years and while a few tragically take their own life, they never undertake the horrific actions, at least on the scale, MB chose.

The movie also portrays a best guess of MB's underlying motives, but for someone sentenced to 1,035 years incarceration for killing 35 people and injuring 23 others in one afternoon, I doubt another three or four further movies on this subject will be anymore insightful.

An interesting paradox of MB's psychology was how well he took care of the dogs, even dropping them off in a suburban street for others to discover and rescue, on the way to his mass murder killing spree..?

I also found the gun message at the end quite an odd statement.
Yes, there maybe more guns in Australia today than 1996 - but there are also more houses/cars/boats/schools/farmers/police/lawyers/mobile phones etc. - because, gee, there are like a lot more people in Australia today, about 7 million more actually..!

Solely for the quality of the production, casting and related performances, I'd rate this a 7/10, but it's not on my re-watch list...

Last edited:
Movie lists are like assholes - everyone has one and it's mostly sh*t - but dare I say it, what would be your top 100?
Yeah honestly not many of my favourite films could be considered classics. Some would be but my top 100 would be pretty heavy on foreign films, 80s horror, and some arthouse things.

I think there’s been some pretty good sci-fi recently that deserves a bit more praise. ex machina, Arrival, the natalie portman one where she goes through that weird fog. a few others whose names escape me.

Shawshank sucks tho. Isn’t even in the top 5 steven king adaptions: the mist, running man, stand by me, 1408, the shining all superior. Dunno what the deal is with the Long Walk adaption but that could be brilliant if done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back