Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Am I the only one that stopped watching after 1?
I didn’t watch 2, 3 or 4, but ultimately watched 5 after it was described as a lot of fun. And it was, more a heist film but with a focus on cars. I know I watched 6 and 7 but couldn’t tell you what either was about, all I remember is a a few stupid fun action scenes but they were already getting really stupid. Didn’t watch 8, only watched 9 because it was on Prime. It’s beyond stupid now, they are cartoonish superheroes.

If you had told someone 15 years ago that Fast and the Furious was one of the biggest franchises on the planet, they’d look at you like you were crazy.

The Cell (2000)

Some of the most evocative imagery ever put to film. Like a modernised Hellraiser of sorts. Still a mind * 20 years later

If I had have seen this under the age of 10, I would be scarred to this day

I couldn’t get through the first half hour of 1…
I only watched the second one because they took an additional 3 hours to install the radio into my Kingswood on the hottest day in summer, so I stayed inside their showroom and sat on the couch with that damned movie on repeat on all their TV screens, I couldn't help but watch. It was trash.

Se7en (1995, Netflix) - Can see why it's so highly regarded. Does it actually have a positive message? That you have to try to fight evil regardless of the consequences/hopelessness. 9/10.

Dark City (1998, Netflix) - Cult classic Sci-Fi. Loved it's efficiency in it's world building and dialogue. The special effects are dated but in an endearing way. The DragonBall Z, Voldemort/Harry Potter style battle at the end was particularly silly but fun. Not super deep but imaginative and enjoyable. 7.5/10.

I didn’t watch 2, 3 or 4, but ultimately watched 5 after it was described as a lot of fun. And it was, more a heist film but with a focus on cars. I know I watched 6 and 7 but couldn’t tell you what either was about, all I remember is a a few stupid fun action scenes but they were already getting really stupid. Didn’t watch 8, only watched 9 because it was on Prime. It’s beyond stupid now, they are cartoonish superheroes.

If you had told someone 15 years ago that Fast and the Furious was one of the biggest franchises on the planet, they’d look at you like you were crazy.
Only seen Fast 5 which was, as you said, good. But with the consensus that it's the best one I don't want to see endless inferior versions.

Se7en (1995, Netflix) - Can see why it's so highly regarded. Does it actually have a positive message? That you have to try to fight evil regardless of the consequences/hopelessness. 9/10.

Dark City (1998, Netflix) - Cult classic Sci-Fi. Loved it's efficiency in it's world building and dialogue. The special effects are dated but in an endearing way. The DragonBall Z, Voldemort/Harry Potter style battle at the end was particularly silly but fun. Not super deep but imaginative and enjoyable. 7.5/10.

Only seen Fast 5 which was, as you said, good. But with the consensus that it's the best one I don't want to see endless inferior versions.

Is it the directors cut of Dark City on Netflix? As thats a better version of the film imo.

Is it the directors cut of Dark City on Netflix? As thats a better version of the film imo.
I don’t think so since it only went for 1hr 40. I’ll check it out though thanks.

Ghosthunter 2018. An aussie doco about NSW man that runs a ghosthunting business, I dont really want to spoil it but it goes in a direction you wont see coming and its quite heavy stuff.

The first hint I got of how dark things were, when he went in the fish n chip shop and he started to get really uncomfortable in the upstairs room. He was saying he didnt remember anything but by the end of the movie it becomes clear that he did know or at least suspect what his dad was doing to those girls and has been carrying that guilt for a long time. He was lying to himself as much as he was lying to everyone around him. Yeah he did some bad things as a adult but his childhood seems like a literal nightmare. When they showed the hospital records of how he beaten as a child it made me think of the reveal in Joker of how Arthur was abused as a child. ******* depressing stuff.

I don’t think so since it only went for 1hr 40. I’ll check it out though thanks.

The theatrical version start with Keifer sutherland voice over basically explaining whats happening. In the directors cut thats saved as a reveal later in the movie and works a lot better as a result. Plus there is more Jennifer Connelly iirc.

The theatrical version start with Keifer sutherland voice over basically explaining whats happening. In the directors cut thats saved as a reveal later in the movie and works a lot better as a result. Plus there is more Jennifer Connelly iirc.
I checked and it's the theatrical cut on Netflix. A shame since Connelly was great. The reveal would have been better saved too as you said.

House Of Gucci.

Was fine, kept me interested without looking at my watch given that it was 2 1/2 hours long. Its a melodrama with a lot of overacting. Adam Driver and Lady Gaga doing absolutely horrible accents, i heard traces of Russian, American, Spanish and other strange dialects which i was a bit surprised given Lady Gaga is of Italian descent. Fat Al Pacino doing his usual shtick and an attempt at kissing between 2 of the biggest noses in movies, Adam Driver and Camille Cotton (from Call My Agent) (spoiler alert, they didn't quite get there!) oh and there was an unrecognizable Jared Leto too. 7/10

This is perhaps what's stopping me from seeing it. Would drive me nuts.
/and I really just dont want to go to the cinema atm. Dunno why tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Cell (2000)

Some of the most evocative imagery ever put to film. Like a modernised Hellraiser of sorts. Still a mind fu** 20 years later

If I had have seen this under the age of 10, I would be scarred to this day

WAs that the one with Jlo and the chopped up horse or something in the glass case?

City Lights (1931)

I find this move a little hard to judge, as I'm not overly familiar with silent film, and I'm a believer that comedy dates, and this movie is more that ninety years old!

Basically, this film has Charlie Chaplin starring as his famous "Tramp" character. Being a tramp, his interactions with people face their fair share of prejudice. Indeed, the only two people he seems to have a good relationship with are 1) a blind girl who sells flowers (who cannot see that he is a bum and in fact, through happenstance, thinks he is in fact quite wealthy); and 2) a wealthy man, who he saves from a drunken suicide, and from that point forward, only actually recognises The Tramp when he (the rich man) is drunk.

As The Tramp is a very visual kinda guy (yes, people talk in silent movies but this character relies more on body language, not only to the audience (obviously) but also to other characters), the fact his only two positive relationships cannot 'see' him is quite ironic.

The plot is fairly basic, and indeed it takes quite some time to get moving. Up to this point the movie is carried by a few separate instances of slapstick comedy. These are hit and miss - there is no doubting Chaplin's acting credentials but I found some, not all, of the gags / sound effects a bit corny/infantile. (Maybe for the time they'd be interpreted differently) A boxing scene later in the film is very good though, genuinely funny and really well done.

I watched this movie as I have read that the ending ranks highly among best endings in cinema, and some have said it contains the best acting they have seen in cinema. We are bombarded with so much sophisticated cinema these days that perhaps in City Lights you can see what's coming, but nonetheless, it is a beautiful ending, good enough that you should watch this move at least once in your life.

It takes a while to get into this film, but once it does, you'll be glad you watched it.

4 out 5 stars from me.

(For those who don't know, many of these older movies are available for free with a library membership and the Kanopy app.)

Last edited:
Started re watching the Scream movies yesterday. They are so cheesy... Im not sure id watched them since their release. Through 1 and 2 and just a few very short thoughts (as its not worth a full review)

- Neve Campbell is on my list of "hot women who cant act but i adore for some reason" list (alongisde Jessica Biel, Kate Beckinsale and Elizabeth Berkely)
- Everyone in the first one (and most in the second) are doing really bad high school theatre acting, its so insanely over the top its comical most of the time
- Jada Pinkett Smith in the opening bit of the second, Jesus Christ how did she ever get another gig
- Scary Movie has so many direct shot for shot piss takes and i think most of them are probably "better"

Started re watching the Scream movies yesterday. They are so cheesy... Im not sure id watched them since their release. Through 1 and 2 and just a few very short thoughts (as its not worth a full review)

- Neve Campbell is on my list of "hot women who cant act but i adore for some reason" list (alongisde Jessica Biel, Kate Beckinsale and Elizabeth Berkely)
- Everyone in the first one (and most in the second) are doing really bad high school theatre acting, its so insanely over the top its comical most of the time
- Jada Pinkett Smith in the opening bit of the second, Jesus Christ how did she ever get another gig
- Scary Movie has so many direct shot for shot piss takes and i think most of them are probably "better"
I had not seen them and we watched 1 & 2 over the break.

I enjoyed them both a lot, thought they have aged well and found them to be really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back