Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
TBL is one of those films that knows exactly what it is trying to be, and does it really well

The Coen brothers are really good at doing that, I don’t like every film they’ve made but I struggle to think of one that was poorly executed

In its own way that is very satisfying

Sketi

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2011
depreston
AFL Club
Sydney
Re: The Big Lebowski, feel like you had to be there. It was such a part of the culture 20-30 years ago, so most people who love it also have that element of nostalgia.

Also comedy is probably the most subjective genre there is, it's a very specific type of humour which isn't going to gel with everyone.

Completely agree.

Palm Springs in a similar vein was really good.

Time loop movies are one of my favourite genres - just forget the logical inconsistencies and enjoy it for what it is.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Palm Springs is one of the best recent movies I've seen. Out of all movies.

I'd like to try and write a timeloop film but one that takes place across a larger timeframe. Like a year that loops or so. Where people really have to live and suffer the consequences for a while of their behaviour. Where there's a balance between there is no tomorrow, but also, there kinda is.

Palm Springs is one of the best recent movies I've seen. Out of all movies.

I'd like to try and write a timeloop film but one that takes place across a larger timeframe. Like a year that loops or so. Where people really have to live and suffer the consequences for a while of their behaviour. Where there's a balance between there is no tomorrow, but also, there kinda is.

The scene with JK Simmons and Andy Samberg's characters talking in his yard is hands down one of the best takes on life I've ever heard. It stayed with me:

I had a lot of anger towards you, man. I mean, I’m not going to see my kids grow up, never gonna walk little Libby down the aisle. I guess I had my head up my own ass. I mean, I didn’t really comprehend what I was putting you through. That little stint in the hospital really opened my eyes, though. This was always a good day here. You know. My wife in the prime of her womanhood. Little Joey tending his dog s**t. Libby’s gonna do a family portrait later this afternoon where we’re all animals. I’m a cuddly grizzly bear. I mean, it doesn’t get any better than that. You gotta find your Irvine.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
The scene with JK Simmons and Andy Samberg's characters talking in his yard is hands down one of the best takes on life I've ever heard. It stayed with me:

The fleeting moments of darkness, despair, and desperation too truly help support the comedy. It is really well balanced, and the shift in the middle of the movie when it goes from comedy to more of a drama, the sudden shift, feels really powerful. The whole thing stayed with me.

If we're talking time loop movies
iu

Everyone has recommended my favourite time loop movies.

But we forgot one of the classics...

Announcing Bill Murray GIF
That's due for a rewatch again
I've been saying that for the past few months and keep forgetting to put it on

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Home with COVID, being sick always puts me in the mood for rom coms. Vulnerable :p

Watched Crazy, Stupid, Love last night which was actually pretty good, great little ensemble cast (Steve Carrell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone).

Any more recommendations along the lines of the above? Really liked Palm Springs, Crazy Rich Asians, Long Shot etc. Obviously there is a lot of trash in the genre but there are some gems. Don't mind a Seth Roganesque romp, your Knocked Ups of the world etc.

Looking for a friend for the end of the world.

Doc Hollywood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back