Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Operation Mincemeat (2021)

What is essentially a fictionalized account of a fictional moment in WW2 is fun but ultimately forgettable. The cast is a stellar lineup of actors led by ably Colin Firth and gives the film the gravitas that fine actors do, but somehow it just doesn't stick the landing. I remember seeing an old B&W movie version about this back in the day, which I feel was better. But it was a daring plan, and thank God it worked. 6/10 (above average)

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (2022)

Wow, this movie is proof of the law of diminishing returns. Good CGI, settings, and costumes, but what a dull story. 4/10 (below-average)

Without looking it up, Operation Mincemeat sounds like a 50s/60s era movie named The Man Who Never Was

The Outpost (2020) - watched on Prime.

The story of the Battle of Kamdesh in Afghanistan where US troops tried to defend a base in a shitty defensive position vs the Taliban.

Intense battle scenes, really well done. I think it was even filmed in the remote location where it all happened.

If you like military films like I do, strongly recommend checking it out. 8/10.

For a war movie I hated as much as I liked that one, DONT check out Danger Close (the battle of long tan) (Netflix) starring our very own Ragnar Lothbrok.

I only got to the scene (about 5 mins in) where a group of soldiers were apparently too busy finishing their card game to bother defending their base. Absolute rubbish.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
I must admit, I don't completely understand the hype around the Big Lebowski.

Didn't think it was the masterpiece it's made out to be. Thought it was alright.
Yeah... well... you know... that's just like... your opinion... man.

Eternal Sunshine is brilliant. Frustratingly weird with its streaming rights though. Will pop up on one for a couple of months, disappear for a year, move to another, disappear again... Can't even buy it on itunes.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
For a war movie I hated as much as I liked that one, DONT check out Danger Close (the battle of long tan) (Netflix) starring our very own Ragnar Lothbrok.

I only got to the scene (about 5 mins in) where a group of soldiers were apparently too busy finishing their card game to bother defending their base. Absolute rubbish.
Danger Close was mentioned and recommended highly a few pages back by someone.. Was enough to put on my watch list but hard to find here.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah... well... you know... that's just like... your opinion... man.

Eternal Sunshine is brilliant. Frustratingly weird with its streaming rights though. Will pop up on one for a couple of months, disappear for a year, move to another, disappear again... Can't even buy it on itunes.
i have the DVD so i feel its ok for me to download it. if i say why eye eff why you might be able to find it

Sketi

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2011
depreston
AFL Club
Sydney
Booksmart (2019) - SBS on Demand

Teen comedy about two nerdy highschool girls who get to graduation and decide they need to do one night of partying to make up for all the years they sacrificed having a social life for school work. The set-up is very much like a female led version of Superbad: it centres around two best friends trying to make it to a big party to try and get some romantic action, but hitting a bunch of random obstacles trying to get to said party.

Obviously nowhere near as good as Superbad - which is a GOAT comedy - but still very enjoyable and well executed 7.5/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danger Close was mentioned and recommended highly a few pages back by someone.. Was enough to put on my watch list but hard to find here.
First warning sign was when it said it was produced by the QLD government. Then I gave it away after 10mins. Maybe it improves, but I wasn’t interested in finding out.

Everything Everywhere All At Once

Struggled to finish this movie.
Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
The Valet (2022)

I'm not usually a rom-com guy, but I found this one surprisingly charming and funny. The humor comes across so naturally, and it makes the film. The protagonist, a 40-something Latin guy in LA, is so unbelievable as the boyfriend of a younger movie star, and that helps make the setup work. But as people connect and commonalities are found, two unlikely cohorts in a deception find their humanity, and a friendship forms. The female in this reminded me of a young Delvine Delaney in the looks department. The mother of the protagonist is superb and will make you laugh. 7/10 (good)

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The Valet (2022)

I'm not usually a rom-com guy, but I found this one surprisingly charming and funny. The humor comes across so naturally, and it makes the film. The protagonist, a 40-something Latin guy in LA, is so unbelievable as the boyfriend of a younger movie star, and that helps make the setup work. But as people connect and commonalities are found, two unlikely cohorts in a deception find their humanity, and a friendship forms. The female in this reminded me of a young Delvine Delaney in the looks department. The mother of the protagonist is superb and will make you laugh. 7/10 (good)
Try and find Verber’s original with Gad Elmalah and Kristen Scott-Thomas - it is much better

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors, Dallas, Liverpool
Tune In For Love (Netflix, 2019) - Probably the most average film I've seen. Nothing really good about it, nothing bad. Watchable standard Korean romantic drama. 5/10.

Grizzly Man (Amazon Prime, 2005) - Doco about an obviously crazy man who lives with Grizzly bears for 13 years before getting eaten by one (detailed in first minute of film so no spoiler). Great footage of Grizzlies and soundtrack. An interesting look at the folly of looking at nature purely from a romantic point of view. Director Werner Herzog seems very nihilistic but enjoyed the straightforward style over the common "style over substance" modern documentary formula. 7/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back