Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Top Gun Maverick.
As someone who has without exaggeration seen the original 100s of times. As a kid I watched it on repeat. It was with some scepticism I went into the theaters.... I got goose bumps and was hooked in the opening credits.
Genuinely loved it 4.5/5

The Gray Man.

I wasn't paying attention when I went looking for Ryan Gosling's new movie. About an hour in I was still wondering when he would appear. Turns out I was watching the unrelated 2007 movie with the same name. The subject matter was disturbing. The true story of Albert Fish, a serial kidnapper and cannibaliser of children in 1920s New York. Thankfully it doesn't get too graphic. Patrick Bauchau is creepy as f*** as the calculating psychopath.

The Gray Man.

I wasn't paying attention when I went looking for Ryan Gosling's new movie. About an hour in I was still wondering when he would appear. Turns out I was watching the unrelated 2007 movie with the same name. The subject matter was disturbing. The true story of Albert Fish, a serial kidnapper and cannibaliser of children in 1920s New York. Thankfully it doesn't get too graphic. Patrick Bauchau is creepy as f*** as the calculating psychopath.
That's kind of a compliment to a 15 year old movie that it didn't look dated to the point you knew it wasn't the newer title.

Top Gun: Maverick

Let's be honest here, the original was a bit cheesy but still good fun - this one you can confidently say lives up to the spirit of the original while surpassing it in every way. The action scenes, the score, the cinematography. Yes the character tropes and plot are predictable but who cares? Yes the movie won't win any acting Oscars but most of the main actors have chemistry and Tom Cruise definitely did not leave anything in reserve for this one.

A thoroughly enjoyable ride - see it in cinemas if you can! Unquestionably the best movie I've seen so far this year. The perfect blend of nostalgia and modernity and will certainly appeal to you in spades if you enjoyed the original Top Gun.

9/10

Top Gun: Maverick

Agree with everything forward press said above (except surpassing the original in every way, I wouldn't go that far). Was an amazing big screen experience. I was trying to think of the last movie as good on the big screen and came up with fury road.

If you have ANY interest in this, see it at the cinemas. So glad they didn't go the streaming route during covid.

6 Underground (2019)
6.5/10.

A Michael Bay action film, loves blowing s**t up in slow motion, and fairly graphic blood and gore for an action film which I don't think added to it.

It's got some strong themes and had potential, would have loved if they fleshed out the relationships between the characters a bit more, but it never really gets beyond a bunch of explosions and bullets and rag tag band of misfits trying to take down the bad guy.

Not a terrible 2 hours though.

The Northman. Its a mix of Lion King, Gladiator, The Fountain, the video game Hellblade and Dead Man. Its also ******* awesome.

Watched last night, holy s**t, what a flick.

Eggers might just be the best director going around - The Witch was something else, easily the best horror type movie I'd seen in yonks, The Lighthouse equally disturbing in it's own way & now The Northman :eek: , so good.

Top Gun Maverick

It's actually good, a bit surprising really. As many have said, a good blend of nostalgia and new, all underpinned some seriously fun exhilarating scenes, that leave a lot of modern action cinema like the MCU or FnF movies in it's tailwind. It's really hard to think of any scenes here that stood out as obviously CGI. Everything looks and feels so real. The execution of the story and script and all that is much better than it has any right to be. It is kind of forgettable in a way, it probably lacks some of the iconic nature of the original, the music, the quotes, the homoeroticism, but it's a worthy sequel that nobody asked for.

Only real issue,
Val Kilmer is back as Iceman which is a surprise considering his illness, then he dies off screen a few minutes later. A shame because his death doesn't really seem to move the story in any meaningful way. There would have been better ways to write him out after that. Hey Hollywood, we don't need to keep killing the old characters.

8/10

Watched last night, holy s**t, what a flick.

Eggers might just be the best director going around - The Witch was something else, easily the best horror type movie I'd seen in yonks, The Lighthouse equally disturbing in it's own way & now The Northman :eek: , so good.
I watched it last night too.
NGL I enjoyed some of the devil's lettuce beforehand (first time in a couple years at least) and loved every second of it.
Yeh it's another Hamlet derivative but man is it done well. The film making is just so visceral and immersive, all the scenes felt alive with 360 perspectives on full display.
Going to have to watch it again .

Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022)
You haven't lived untill you've seen Jamie Lee Curtis with hot dogs instead of fingers!
Multi-dimensional sci-fi absurdity, mostly entertaining but also pretty exhausting in parts, despite the often hilarious gags.
Kind of felt like it was a bit of a waste of time when it was all said and done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything Everywhere All at Once was sensational IMO.

Enough said about the craziness of the film, but it had the right amount of sentimentality without being preachy. Very philosophical about nihilism while being uplifting and not depressing.

Sci-fi aspect was great too.

Started watching BTTF: Part II on GO! at 7:00pm......I was enjoying it enough, I've picked up the progress of the movie on the 4K version
bye bye commercials :p

Top Gun: Maverick - truly amazing to behold what overcompensating for being a closet homosexual can drive a man to do.

HQ_HNi.gif

Independence Day (1996)

I've never really got the hype of the movie. I remembered glimpses of it and not really being impressed by it. Had the chance to watch it in 4K, the first time I've watched it from start to finish in almost 26 years..... still don't think it's that great imo. But the video game based on the movie was fun to play :p

2/5

Top Gun (1986)

Good for nostalgia and a bit of fun. The land of perpetual sunset and accompanying sunburnt faces provides for classic 80s cheesy cringey action. God the Americans used to love putting in scenes of military/law enforcement making stupid hand signals/gestures to make them look important. The soundtrack is classic. The homo-erotic volleyball scene is legendary. The movie itself is fine - though if you've never seen it then a first viewing in this day and age is certain to underwhelm. "God damn it!"

2.5 stars

Petite Maman (2021)

French high-concept movie that says all it needs to succinctly in seventy minutes. As a previous poster says, with such a short film it's probably best to not say too much about it at all and just let people watch it. Whilst short, you could almost say it's a slow-burn as well. It almost feels like a short movie that has been given a bit more meat on the bones.

Creative and though provoking.

3.5 stars

Top Gun : Maverick (2022)

To repeat a couple of points that have already been made:

Yes it is somewhat forgettable. Yes you need to see this at the cinema. Yes the opening scene hooks you in straight away. Yes it is a well filmed action movie with hardly any discernible CGI which makes so many movies today SUCK.

I really enjoyed this - I went in with a positive attitude toward it and reasonably high expectations based on what others have said. For me, this is what an action movie should be. No drawn out fights / destruction / explosion scenes, but a genuine build of tension with payoffs.

It's similar in a lot of ways to the first one, but with better acting, and a lot less overt cheesiness. Seeing these machines do their thing on the big screen, with that familiar soundtrack, makes you wish you were a fighter pilot for a couple of hours. It's slick, it's engaging and above all entertaining. The of finding the best and then pushing them toward their best sees this film soaring.

Including Val Kilmer was a really nice touch. There are a few laughs as well - I particularly enjoyed a somewhat self-referential scene where Maverick, when observing another pilot's hand signals says "no idea what he is talking about" cf my notes on the 1986 film.

Tom Cruise, as s**t a bloke he may be, is a really good actor - and he is much better in this than he was in the original. Miles Teller is well cast. The romantic interest side of things could have been played out a bit more - I suppose you don't want to lose momentum of the main action but it seemed more of a distraction than anything. Talented as she may be, Lady Gaga's soundtrack contributions seemed to not really fit.

4 stars

Independence Day (1996)

I've never really got the hype of the movie. I remembered glimpses of it and not really being impressed by it. Had the chance to watch it in 4K, the first time I've watched it from start to finish in almost 26 years..... still don't think it's that great imo. But the video game based on the movie was fun to play

2/5
Would have thought this would be right up your alley

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back