Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

I haven't seen the new Minions movie but my nephew and his wife took their three kids to see it last night. They walked out halfway through because the kids were bored to death.

Gravity

Eh. Sandra Bullock was great (probably the first time I’ve ever said that), and the effects were nice. But it didn’t grip me, and it felt seriously inferior to Interstellar.

Another of Chadwick Boseman’s “playing historic/important black man” films. About the first black person to play Major League Baseball, back in the 40s.

They clearly cleaned up a fair bit of the nastiness that would’ve occurred, and instead focused on the strength of the guy to push through hate and pave the way.

Pretty decent movie and it reinforces what a loss Boseman is.

I think Gravity relies and only really works if you watch it in 3D. The experience really elevates the story.
Saw at imax in 3D and was blown away by the spectacle but don’t think it would hold up on a laptop or regular tv.

Saw at imax in 3D and was blown away by the spectacle but don’t think it would hold up on a laptop or regular tv.

We saw Gravity at Imax in 3D also. I think the huge screen filling our field of vision really enhanced the experience of a thriller set in space.

The 3D element still seems like a gimmick - where the director/cine will throw a few in focus objects into the foreground from time to time.

They Live (1988)

Scary how relevant some themes are today. Really liked it. Worth it alone for Piper's "chew bubblegum and kick ass" quote, as well as Piper and Keith David's fight scene.

Big fan of Carpenter's work.

Russell and Carpenter made some great films, Escape From New York is one of my favourite guilty pleasures

Need to watch this too. So much stuff pre 90's I've only watched in the last few years. Not good enough.... Say this as someone born in early 80s.

See it has Lee Van Cleef too. Only watched the Dollars trilogy earlier this year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Man From Toronto (Netflix)

Kevin Hart plays a failed sales man, goes on vacation with his wife. Ends up at the wrong house and gets mistaken for a notorious assassin "The Man From Toronto".

Surprisingly had a blast watching this. Plenty of laughs. Kind of reminded me a bit of Rush Hour with the buddy dynamic.

like I said, depends on your definition of a classic

I enjoy it very much but I’m not sure I’d say it was even one of the top 10 films released that year
Most professionals within the entertainment industry consider it a classic and influential film? Creators and reviewers?

I mean, you may not consider it one, but a lot of do. To a point where saying it isn't but it is a guilty pleasure, is definitely an uncommon perspective.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Most professionals within the entertainment industry consider it a classic and influential film? Creators and reviewers?

I mean, you may not consider it one, but a lot of do. To a point where saying it isn't but it is a guilty pleasure, is definitely an uncommon perspective.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
The sequel is awful though. That is guilty pleasure territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back