Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Watched War of the Worlds 2005 version with Tom Cruise. Many don’t like it but I thought it was quite an entertaining movie, love the first half especially.

Watched War of the Worlds 2005 version with Tom Cruise. Many don’t like it but I thought it was quite an entertaining movie, love the first half especially.
I don’t mind this one. Classic story and, as you mentioned, some of those earlier scenes are really good.

One of those movies where if it I see it on I will flick over and keep watching.

Jeez I really enjoyed Joker. Seeing the hate for it lately on here and social media is deflating.
I don’t think it was a bad film, and when I first saw it I was pretty entertained. Joaquin was great.

I just find it hard to ignore how much of it was borrowed from other films, which applies to plenty of other films.

The King of Comedy

One of the last Scorsese/De Niro films that I’d yet to see. Thought it was great, in particular De Niro playing the slimey car salesman personality rather than his standard silent masculine type of the 70s.

I also thought so much of it still applies today, with the pathetic desire for fame across social media nowadays.

I’d consider it one of their best as individuals, and potentially better than Taxi Driver which I had always considered their best work.

On a sidenote, Joker. I already knew that film was basically an homage to Scorsese films of the 70s, and saw it was a poor person’s Taxi Driver. But far out, if it didn’t borrow 80% of the story and aesthetics from The King of Comedy, I know nothing. Shameless.
Such a great movie, love it. And yeah, Joker is a carbon copy of this with elements of Taxi Driver, oh well though.

Nope (2022)

I don't want to give too much of this away as it's just a new release. But we thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a hell of a ride. And there's definitely a spot in the movie that makes you go "Nope!" 7/10 (Good)
I’ve ranged from a 4 to 7 in my head. Haha. You may be right.

I thought joker was s**t and packaging it up as a film based on a very well known comic book character was smart marketing.

If it’s not called Joker it does a tenth the box office and barely rates a mention.

Yeah bang on mate, agreed on that 100%.

The movie did really resonate with a lot of people, the Joker character that is.

I thought joker was s**t and packaging it up as a film based on a very well known comic book character was smart marketing.

If it’s not called Joker it does a tenth the box office and barely rates a mention.
+1 on this - whilst I think Phoenix did a good job, without him this is a completely forgettable movie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly the only reason it worked was because of this.

It was literally incel white loser starts killing people and other incel white losers crown him king of the incels.

Without the joker angle it would just have been imagine if the last mass shooter was a clown

Because its everyday American bullshit.

It's also why I don't like them making more because the real incel *s who've been pilled love this s**t and it's going to glorify their bullshit

It was literally incel white loser starts killing people and other incel white losers crown him king of the incels.

Without the joker angle it would just have been imagine if the last mass shooter was a clown

It's also why I don't like them making more because the real incel *s who've been pilled love this s**t and it's going to glorify their bullshit
Big part of the issue with it for me. I didn’t see a lot that was clever or insightful it just seemed reductive and almost panto like.

To each their own but I didn’t get it at all.

I get that some people don’t realise it, but he is the villain. Joker is a decent film if you recognise that. Largely because of Phoenix’s performance and it definitely rips off Scorsese but it’s ok.

I get that some people don’t realise it, but he is the villain. Joker is a decent film if you recognise that. Largely because of Phoenix’s performance and it definitely rips off Scorsese but it’s ok.
Yehhh… I didn’t get that. He was given more Jesus type imagery than villain type imagery.
Plus I took the message very much as “see what society makes people and then you label them the bad guy, it’s your fault”.

Anyway it’s nothing if not divisive and I certainly not criticize people who took a different message and enjoyed it, just didn’t land at all for me.

It was more as anti hero than vilian movie

As I said if it wasn't a comic book movie it could be a sympathetic biopic for numerous recent shooters in America.

3 years ago I was happy with it being a disturbing comic book Movie

In 2022 with a sequel it's heading into Hollywood will make us heroes territory

I enjoyed Joker but it wasn't brilliant and it really wasn't a supervillain origin story.

What was it? Behind a vehicle for Phoenix, a homage to Scorsese, and a opportunity for the Hangover director to break mould?

I don't actually know.

But it was good.

You get what you *in deserve.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

It was more as anti hero than vilian movie

As I said if it wasn't a comic book movie it could be a sympathetic biopic for numerous recent shooters in America.

3 years ago I was happy with it being a disturbing comic book Movie

In 2022 with a sequel it's heading into Hollywood will make us heroes territory
I didn’t see him as an anti-hero. Yes, they offer reasons for why he goes bad, but when he finally snaps and kills people, it’s brutal and not sympathetic, imo. Understanding why something happens doesn’t automatically mean they are justifying it.

EDIT: I mean, it unceremoniously rips off King of Comedy and no one thinks de Niro is the good guy in that.

I didn’t see him as an anti-hero. Yes, they offer reasons for why he goes bad, but when he finally snaps and kills people, it’s brutal and not sympathetic, imo. Understanding why something happens doesn’t automatically mean they are justifying it.

EDIT: I mean, it unceremoniously rips off King of Comedy and no one thinks de Niro is the good guy in that.
I think you're missing what a large portion of white disillusioned males see in that movie.

Don't believe me go look on social media

Witness For The Prosecution (1957) on Prime

My god this was good, Its a courtroom drama based on an Agatha Christie novel and it had everything. Humour that hasn't dated, drama and a really good twist. I had to laugh at the end credits where there was a voiceover saying please do not spoil the twist for future viewers in the cinema. Times have changed

10/10 i will be watching this again and again.

I think you're missing what a large portion of white disillusioned males see in that movie.

Don't believe me go look on social media
I don't doubt there are people that misread the movie. There were plenty of people that mistook Fight Club for a movie that glorified male violence and aggression. There are people that thought Homelander in The Boys was the hero, apparently. But they are wrong. It's valid to question whether a filmmaker left something too open to interpretation to allow it to be misinterpreted, but I personally didn't see it in The Joker. By the end, he's psychotic.

I don't doubt there are people that misread the movie. There were plenty of people that mistook Fight Club for a movie that glorified male violence and aggression. There are people that thought Homelander in The Boys was the hero, apparently. But they are wrong. It's valid to question whether a filmmaker left something too open to interpretation to allow it to be misinterpreted, but I personally didn't see it in The Joker. By the end, he's psychotic.
Hes also inspired a city to a violent riot in support and opposition of him.

FWIW i dont think its necessarily clear cut either way but im not sure how you can definitiely label him a villain and say everyone who thought differently is wrong.

Hes fairly glorified in that film.

Hes also inspired a city to a violent riot in support and opposition of him.

FWIW i dont think its necessarily clear cut either way but im not sure how you can definitiely label him a villain and say everyone who thought differently is wrong.

Hes fairly glorified in that film.
I didn't say they were definitively wrong about Joker, I said they were definitively wrong about Fight Club and The Boys. There's room to question whether the Joker made it clear he was the villain, but I said personally I think they did. His violent actions are quite brutal and unsympathetic, his actions on de Niro's show aren't heroic in any way and by the end he's completely lost his mind. That's my take. I get some people may say 'but look what they made him do' but I don't think that makes what he did look any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back