Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

White House Down was like Olympus Has Fallen for teen girls and their boyfriends.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
I’m relieved to hear you say this, given your strong record as a reverse bellwether on all matters of taste

Olympus Has Fallen took itself way too seriously

Last edited:

I’m relieved to hear you say this, given your strong record as a reverse bellwether on all matters of taste

Olympus Has Fallen took itself way too seriously
Probably but the violence was unexpectedly brutal, which was very enjoyable.

WHD felt so watered down by comparison. Like I was watching the same film edited for Tv.

Got around to watching Bitter Moon 1992 (Peter Coyote, Hugh Grant, Emannuelle Seigner, Kristin Scott Thomas)

Well I was super impressed with the movie. It received negative reactions from the critics.

Keen to know what people think

Don't read the spoilers if you want to watch

First 30 minutes, I'm thinking: How can I review this movie, not sure I can put it into words. But it's the storytelling from Coyote's character that rope you in. It's kind of like a story within a story, but at times you're asking yourself whether this story is real or not, as we know Coyote's character is in the process of writing a story that matches his life. It gets confusing at times, and I was trying to understand why Mimi would stick around.

I hated Nigel from the start, supposed happy 7 year marriage despite seeming flat. He was happy to flirt with Mimi at the first opportunity.

I did have a feeling later in the film that Oscar was orchestrating the whole plot, but didn't catch the multiple plot twists. I Know Fiona said "Anything you can do, I can do better", but I don't understand how the final plot twist was able to be eventuated, it seemed contrived, and incongruent with her character, and the previous events of the story. She hadn't had very much contact with either of the two.

Oscar became that guy you ******* hated, and just wanted to see suffer, and well, I guess he did to some extent. I was hoping Nigel would make the decision at one point. I felt the writers wanted to convey the message of family to some extent but felt the scenes that drew us to that conclusion were heavily contrived and a little cringy. When they talk about well going to that next level in marriage, maybe it's not quite so glamourous..

I've been paying attention to the story writing process, given my interest in film making and it's interesting that at no point in the first 38 minutes did Fiona have her name introduced and the subtle introduction at that point was nice.

Definitely worth another watch to get a better understanding of the movie, but overall I loved this little known gem.

8.5/10

You're probably right. I gave a few points just for the Sydney apartment view and the drive to the house. Overall it was completely pointless and offered nothing new or unique.

I feel like one or two of the premises could have been made into good movies.

Wtf was the spiritual journey s**t with the old guy.

It also seemed like the revelations in the poker game took about 5 minutes and then had no real impact on the story line. Also was his motivation ever shown to be clear why he wanted his friends to open up their secrets to him

It was just a clunky mess. I wonder if there is an edit that could make it watchable.

Do agree the Sydney coast and also the waterfall scene at the start made for good viewing

Tatum gets a career pass for Jump Street (which was hilarious) and Magic Mike (which was low key good).
Magic Mike presented itself as some sort of raunchy comedy but it was definitely different to that, and good.

Yeah but he never knew what he was doing. Stil not even sure if he can be taken seriously, "I did not hit her, I did nawt, Oh Hiya Mark"

I'm going on a bit of a movie marathon here, Decided to look up minimal cast movies and found a heap and a few more on IMDB, then some excellent movies you've probably never seen. Keen to see if anyone else wants to dig into these for a group review.

I haven't seen any reviews in this thread, not sure about the other 5. No idea where to find them
A quick site search I can only find one link to Bitter moon on an old thread back in 2003

Hard Candy (2005)
Sleuth (1972)
Bitter Moon (1992) (Google Play, Apple Tv)
Carnage (2011) Can't find it yet (Roman Polanski) IMDB suggested his films
The Tenant (1976) (Google Play, Apple TV)

Together (2000) comedy (Youtube, Disney)
Dark City (1998) Can't believe I've missed this

61 movies you've probably never seen (I can't even find some of these)
Hard candy was was a good movie. It is slow though

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but he never knew what he was doing. Stil not even sure if he can be taken seriously, "I did not hit her, I did nawt, Oh Hiya Mark"

I'm going on a bit of a movie marathon here, Decided to look up minimal cast movies and found a heap and a few more on IMDB, then some excellent movies you've probably never seen. Keen to see if anyone else wants to dig into these for a group review.

I haven't seen any reviews in this thread, not sure about the other 5. No idea where to find them
A quick site search I can only find one link to Bitter moon on an old thread back in 2003

Hard Candy (2005)
Sleuth (1972)
Bitter Moon (1992) (Google Play, Apple Tv)
Carnage (2011) Can't find it yet (Roman Polanski) IMDB suggested his films
The Tenant (1976) (Google Play, Apple TV)

Together (2000) comedy (Youtube, Disney)
Dark City (1998) Can't believe I've missed this

61 movies you've probably never seen (I can't even find some of these)
I love Dark City. Saw it at the cinema back when it came out and it blew me away. Really different from anything that anyone else was doing at the time. I've since bought and rewatched it on DVD and again on BluRay. Still love it.

Not really sure what happened to Alex Proyas. Made a couple of great movies back in the 90s (The Crow and Dark City) then seemed to just kind of fizzle out with a few fairly forgettable ones.

I love Dark City. Saw it at the cinema back when it came out and it blew me away. Really different from anything that anyone else was doing at the time. I've since bought and rewatched it on DVD and again on BluRay. Still love it.

Not really sure what happened to Alex Proyas. Made a couple of great movies back in the 90s (The Crow and Dark City) then seemed to just kind of fizzle out with a few fairly forgettable ones.
Oh My God Reaction GIF by CBC
]
I still have questions

When Proyas's momentum was at it's strongest (after the two films you mentioned) he returned to Aus to direct a mediocre movie called Garage Days. Probably shot himself in the foot there.

Tár (2022)
Set in the international world of Western classical music, the film centers on Lydia Tár, widely considered one of the greatest living composer-conductors and first-ever female music director of a major German orchestra.

I finally managed to see this earlier in the week, after waiting impatiently for what seems like a year.

I thought it was a well crafted, patient film. I'd happily watch it again, but not necessarily rush to do so. It deserves praise for nearly every component of film making - the screenplay is rich, the cinematography very clean and effective, the score adds a dimension to it (you'd hope so, given the topic of the film), and the acting was very good. The writer/director (Todd Field) clearly did their research on the classical music world, from its history, to the culture, right down to mannerisms while performing and the method of creating music.

It has elements of a drama with hints of psychological tension, something I really enjoy (e.g. The Nest, which I consider to be one of the best films this decade). It is definitely a drama, but the main character's idiosyncrasies manifest in ways that insert moments of paranoia and a loose grasp on reality.

The film has a lot to say, so you can probably take whatever you want out of it. It focuses heavily on abuse of power, toxic hero worship, flawed genius, narcissism, elitism and identity, and cancel culture. I'm not sure what its stance on cancel culture is, because there were parts of the film that very clearly criticise it, and others where it justifies it as a necessity when people do bad things. I've got no doubt that it's left up to the viewer to decide this for themselves.

Finally, Cate Blanchett is phenomenal. It's possibly her best performance, which says something. She combines the pomp and sophistication of her roles in The Aviator, Benjamin Button, and Carol with the unhinged and messy roles of Blue Jasmine, Notes on a Scandal, and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. If you wanted to show a film student an example of an all-rounder, this would be it. She's fully the character of Tar, believably alternating between the intellectual public persona, the neurotic composer, the insecure woman with a crush, and the rage of a person unravelling. You can see it in her body language and her face without ever getting the sense that she's rehearsed it a thousand times; it comes across as organic and genuine. She also alternates between English and German in the middle of composing like an authentic musician. Give her all of the awards now.

If my review sounds pretentious, it's probably appropriate. The film is pretentious in every way, but deliberately so. The high society world it presents is full of self important people, and the film making is a demonstration of how to tell a story with great effect without compromising or pandering.

If you're a cinephile, this is a must.

Last edited:
Wakanda Forever... it went alright. Fairly by-the-numbers Marvel movie but it looked good and they did well considering they longer had a charismatic lead to front the film. I liked it a little more than the first but I was far less blown away by the first than many others. 7/10.

Wakanda Forever... it went alright. Fairly by-the-numbers Marvel movie but it looked good and they did well considering they longer had a charismatic lead to front the film. I liked it a little more than the first but I was far less blown away by the first than many others. 7/10.
Who was the charismatic lead in the first one? :think:

define self-financing - the sequels are supposedly costing $1b, I doubt Cameron has that in his back pocket

Even if some portion of the money is cash that would otherwise be spent/invested outside the film industry, no doubt a lot of the money is coming from production companies or the movie-going public who would otherwise put their money towards other films. That's to say nothing of the human capital invested - i.e. any number of elite industry professionals who will spend a significant portion of their careers tied up in the production of these films.

Doing something always comes at the cost of doing something else. $1 billion is an insane amount of money - to blow it all on 4 sequels to a fairly unoriginal movie about space cats seems a criminal waste of artistic and entertainment potential.

Watch his GQ breakdown of his career.

He’s doing Avatar because he wants to bring fight climate change and other social issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back